You can type here any text you want

modifying factory wiring for XFI

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

karolko

Hello everyone,

my question is pretty simple and i am sure Cal will chime in and cyber-slap me for my stupidity.

i am purchasing a XFI unit with the wiring adapter kit. now with XFI can iclean up my wiring harness of all the crappy emmisions sensors that i will not be using anymore,

1) charcoal purge canister wiring
2) the large black bow with two vacume hoses going into it at the back of the block driver side
3) the small sensor on the passenger side between two intake runner
4)MAF sensor wiring

what i would like to do is cut the wiring or remove it entirely from the wiring harness. will this do anything for the xfi or are all these things rendered useless once you go to XFI? emissions are not a concern where i live.

thanks for your help guys

Adrian

No cyber-slap here :)

You can remove them if you want.
1) The charcoal canister power will still be there, just not the switched ground.
2) The EGR will still work properly since the XFI can control it.
3) Not sure what sensor you are talking about, perhaps boost solenoid? If so, the XFI will still control it if you aren't using another type of boost control.
4) The MAF won't work correctly and can be disconnected/removed. Be careful if you cut the wires, the MAF signal is now the MAP signal.

Hi Cal,

thanks for the responce,

so with the charcol canister it will be safe to cut the wires as long as i do a good job isolating them

i am not running an egr, so can i remove these wires as well?

lastly, when you say the maf signal is now the map signal do you mean that the map sensor is recieving a 5v source from the old maf wiring. when i loooked breifly at the adaptor harness, the map sensor seems to have its own pigtail coming out of the adaptor harness. so where would it be safe to cut the wire.

i know the tps and map sensors get 5v, but i did not know that the maf also got 5v? is this correct if not what do you mean by your statement about maf signal and map signal?

the reason for all my shinnanigahns (sp?) is tht i want to clean up the wiring harness for the car and not just have all these extra wires hanging around doing nothing.

since we are somewhat on the topic, i read last night on the GM High Performance website about the turbo project and in there you recommended to place the IAT sensor on the plenum and not on the pre turbo side. Where would be the best place to put the IAT sensor in your opinion? and is is possible to hide it as much as possible. (under the manifold?)

sorry for all the questions, but i am very excited for my up-incoming setup.

thanks again,

Adrian (George's buddy in Calgary)

Since you aren't using any of those sensors, you can cut/remove the wires. Just remember to isolate them if you don't remove them completly.

As far as the IAT sensor, I like to put it in the back of the intake, below the ignition module.

I will be tuning in Vancouver next month, then flying over to Calgary. Hopefully, we can meet up.

Hey Cal, thanks for the help,

Unfortunetly i will not be able to meet you in Calgary in July because i am in Artic Canada right now and will not be back until August. :(

could you clarify your previous statement "the MAF signal is now the MAP signal"

thanks for everything,

Adrian

Thanks again for all your help.

Back