Mods for 2004 - Bigger Turbo & Injectors

AKTURBOTA

I am wanting to make my TTA faster for this next racing season. With the following mods my car has run 11.79 @ 114.7 with a 60' of 1.61.

7 position Caspers "Ultra Chip"
TA49 Turbo
36# injectors
Walbro 340 Fuel Pump
Action Fab 3” downpipe
freeflowing exhaust with testpipe
62mm throttle body
ported plenum
1" plenum spacer
adj fuel pressure regulator
ATR bleed valve to control boost
PTS 9/11 Torque Converter (Stalls at 3400)
LT1 MAF Sensor
Translator Plus
K&N 8" Air Filter on 3" Stainless Steel MAF pipe
110# valve springs
BFG Drag Radials on the stock rims
Spohn Adjustable Torque Arm
Global West Subframe Connectors
Spohn Adj Panhard Rod
Spohn Lower Control Arms
On the street I run 92 Chevron unleaded premium
At the strip I run Sunoco NOS Supreme Racing Fuel (117 octane)
Turbo Link used as my data logger

At the strip my fuel pressure is set at 45#'s with the vaccum off and I run 21-23 #'s of boost. I have run with the #5 chip which gives me 22 degrees of advance at WOT and knock retard usually never exceeds 2-3 degrees.

I am considering going to a TA 60 turbo with MSD 50# fuel injectors and using the extender prom chip. I may also go to the Terry Houston downpipe later in the summer but the first three are what I am definitely considering. I am open for comments and/or suggestions.

Here's my opinion;

Extender chip is a great choice

TA60 is not enough of a jump over the TA49 and I think a 61 is absolute minimum. Are you dead set on a TA series? Maybe look into the GT61 turbo which is basically a TE62 with the new GT61 compressor wheel.

50's are nice injectors but since 57's and 60's are now available and you don't have to mod the ECM you may want to consider those. 50's were good to 11.14 for me but that was it. Some guys go well into the 10's with them but there was no way it was gonna happen for me. JMHO

Hope it helps.

Clayton

Clayton,

Thanks for your advice. I wanted to stay with the TA series turbos to retain more of a stock appearance, but looks aren't as important as performance increases at this stage of the game.

Mark

You may want to consider a TA62 with the newer GT61 compressor wheel then. Talk to the guys @ Limit Eng or PTE and see what they think.

I mean the TA 62 as my choice for the turbo when I first made the post but due to a case of "sometimers" caused by advanced age caused me to type TA 60

I didn't consider Cylinder heads at this point since I was looking for less invasive ways of adding power. The TTA has cylinder heads that flow better than the stock GN heads, so I am on the quest for more power via larger turbo.

I would go no lower than the PT61 because you have a 3400 stall. I am sure if you put the PT67 in the .63 you would be happy with its street spool. The new wheels are spooling like 2 wheels lower than them and flowing like 3 above from reports.

You did not have any aftermarker intercooling, FMIC or stretch.

57 or 60lbs like c&cgn said, 36's, 42's, and 50's are now pretty much pointless since these idle as well and will go deeper in mph.

MBC, powerplate, 70mm tb with PTE plenum, alky, raising the boost, if you go PT67 I would get the 3.5 houston DP since you said you might upgrade anyways

You could easily pull of a low 11 with the above added to your combo.

Thanks for all your comments, they have given me lots of food for thought.

Dr. Booster,

Given that the 50#'s are compatible with the stock Extender chip, if I am not mistaken I would have to go with the Extender Extreme Chip.

Additionally, the mention MBC...what does that stand for?

My budget constraints due to a 3rd addition to the family (new baby in 2 more weeks), and having to rebuild the posi in the differential is going to limit me to the larger turbo (TA62), injectors (57#'s), and Extender Extreme Prom chip. Any speculation on where that would place me for ET and MPH given that I regularly turn 11.80-11.90's at 114-115 now.

Dr. Booster,

I understand now. I have the equivalent with the ATR bleed valve, which cost me $39.95 7 years ago. The ATR version has the valve already spliced into the hose that connects the wastegate to the waste gate solenoid...effectively bypassing the ECM control of the wastegate.

I received some technical advice from Precision Turbo and their suggestion for turbocharger selection would be a PT-61 P trim and 65# high impedance fuel injectors. Any comments or suggestions on their recommendation?

Originally posted by AKTURBOTA
I received some technical advice from Precision Turbo and their suggestion for turbocharger selection would be a PT-61 P trim and 65# high impedance fuel injectors. Any comments or suggestions on their recommendation?

The 61 is a good step up from the 49/44. I am sure that they use GT wheels in the 61s now days. The 65#/hr injectors will work well. That will give you plenty of fuel with the 61.

I am focused on purchasing the PT61 P-Trim turbo and 65# high impedence fuel injectors for my application. My question now is what A/R should I select, .63 or .83 ? Being a newby, I am not sure which one to choose, so any advice would be most appreciated.

I´m borrowing this thread (if You don´t mind).

I´m having a hard time to decide what turbo to get. My mods are:
- #50´s inj.
- Walbro 340
- AFPR
- TA-49 with 3" THDP
- ported heads with large valves (what a difference this made)
- Julio´s alky-kit
- 9x11 3400rpm TC
- rebuilt transmission
- 62mm TB and plenum
- RJC powerplate
- Stock IC with Duttweiler big-neck
- 160 thermostat
- 3" LT1-MAF and translator (not +)
- chip from Eric Marshall
- QA1 (HAL) 12way adj. rear shocks
- MT ET Streets 28*11.5-16

I was looking at either PT51 or PT61. Any good suggestion for my usage? It´s not a daily driver, I´m looking for lowering my times. Whent 12.137 with http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=117320

Thanks
/Andreas

I would not use a .82 or .85 with a smaller turbo in general.
The compressor wheel will make more power than the exhaust housing. Stay with the .63 for a great street spool and move up a compressor wheel if you want more power.

The bigger a/r on the exhaust will only net about 20 hp on the high end. GN's are not high end cars IMO only spinning on average to around 5500 rpm so I stick with the smaller housing and bigger compressor wheels.