Mom didn't make it.

Black Box

Out cruisin'.
I don't know how many of you remember my post back in November or so asking for prayers for my Mom, she had Alzeimers and had developed lung cancer. But I thank all of you for your prayers and thoughts that you gave to her.

She gave up fighting it on Sunday night. :( :( :(

The 'slow growing' cancer that she was diagnosed with didn't turn out to be slow growing at all. She had X-rays done about 2-3 months ago and it showed that the tumors had grown substantially and 4th tumor had appeared also. There was still nothing the doctors recommended that we do for it. None of the treatments would have done enough good, at least not enough to outweigh the side effects....at least not according to the doctors. On top of that, as her lungs would be absorbing less oxygen with the growth of the tumors, here brain would get less oxygen and would exacerbate the Alzeimers. She had been on oxygen for the 3 weeks, but was still getting around pretty well. She didn't even need it for the St. Patrick's day party we went to. It was great to see her in such good spirits, and I managed to take some really good pictures of her, some with all her Sisters, her Mom, my Brother, my Dad and myself.

But about a week and a half ago she took a downturn, and started having pains from the tumors pressing against her lungs, and was having shortness of breath after walking up the stairs. By Thursday she had stopped eating and had limited fluid intake, and was heavily medicated by then, on Percocet, Oxycontin(?) and Morphine. On Thursday night she went to sleep and did not get out of bed after that. She was in a semi-concious state, mostly because of the painkillers. But you could see that she could hear us, as her facial expression would change and she would try to talk, but with no sound. She even laughed a couple of times. I sat with her from Saturday afternoon until Sunday night when she passed. I did everything possible to make her comfortable, held her hand, talked to her about what a wonderful mother she was, thanked her for her unselfish sacrifices she had made for our family and everyone she touched. I played her favorite Neil Diamond CD (Hot August Night) and sang 'Song Sung Blue' to her. Myself, my Dad and his sister (who a Fransiscan Nun) were by her side when she took her final breath. We tried to assure her that everything would be OK....that there was nothing to be afraid of. We prayed with her, and told her that Susan (my deceased younger sister) and her Dad were calling her, and that she should go see them, and start her new life, and that she will always be with us.

In the end, the world lost one of the most generous people I have ever known. :( She will be missed, but she will never be forgotten.

RIP Mom, and enjoy your new eternal life of love and hapiness with God. In that respect, I am happy that she does not have to suffer anymore and is at peace and with my sister and all the others that have gone before her.

We love you Mom. We always will. :) We will never forget you.

Sincerely, your son,
Stephen :(

MY thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. I cannot begin to comprehend what you are going through and I am sitting here crying reading your note. How proud she must be of her son with the mature way you dealt with this situation and told her what a great mother she was to you! With so many things going on in today's life a post like yours puts everything in perspective. May God bless you and your family......always.

Rich

Stephen,

I know that there are few words I can say that will help console you in this time. Just know that I am sorry for your loss and will keep your Mother and your family in my thoughts and prayers.

When my Dad passed away after his short battle with cancer, my Mom had said that her prayers had been answered. This confused me till she explained that she had prayed that the cancer and his pain and suffering would stop. It had.

God Bless,

We are very sorry to hear of your loss.:( From my family to yours, you are in our thoughts and prayers!

K.

I feel your pain. I lost my Mom to cancer 10 years ago this may 17th.. The pain will lessen but never go away.. My prayers go out to you my friend.. How old was she/ Mine Mom was 1 week short of her 60th..

May God Bless you and your family, and comfort you on your loss. There will be one more guardian angel looking out for you and your family now!

Sorry to hear about your Mom. When I read things like this it makes me realize how lucky I am not to have suffered a loss like that. Have to make a point to call my parents in FL tonite just to say hi.

Your Mom was lucky to have a son like you.

Sorry for your loss! Keep your head up in these tough times and as some others have already said I'm sure your mother is watching down on you and is very proud of her son!

Take care.

Originally posted by Black Box
I don't know how many of you remember my post back in November or so asking for prayers for my Mom, she had Alzeimers and had developed lung cancer. But I thank all of you for your prayers and thoughts that you gave to her.

She gave up fighting it on Sunday night. :( :( :(

I remember. She's at peace now my friend. Rest assured she's still watching over you, just you cant see her unless you close your eyes.

I'm very sorry to hear of your loss. My mother has been gone 20 years this June, but I think of her everyday, and I know she's watching over me and my family. She was 41 when she passed.

Go on with your life, but never forget...

Jim

My condolences to you and your family. My 53 year old brother was diagnosed with liver cancer last May and passed away in November. I know his pain and suffering are over, but it is still hard to believe that he died that young. My prayers are with you.

my mom passed away almost two years ago.it will be two in september.it is a rough blow to take.i was there when she went with God.she was only 61.my prayers are with you brother,i mean that.i miss her everyday,but the pain does lessen with time.she sounded like a good woman,and i know both of our moms are in Gods loving arms.God bless you and your family.

God bless you and your family. He certainly blessed your mom with giving her a son, husband and sister-in-law who cared enough to stay with her while she passed. I'm sure she's not in pain now, and can keep an eye on you.

You're in our thoughts and prayers.

Loyd and Shari Bonecutter

Stephan, remember and revere the time you had with your Mother with happiness and no regrets. You sound like a honorable son, may peace come to you and your family during this time of transition.

Geoff Rolland

:( I know what you are going thru, I lost my MOM a year ago and it doesn't get any easier. I still think about her all the time. Just remember all the good times you had together and that helps.
Tarey D.

My thoughts and prayers are with you tonight, Stephen. May your mom spend eternity in happiness.....