More 60-1 data

bison

Staff member
TurboBuick.Com Supporter!
Dynoed my blue car with a freshened stock short block a few days ago. Wanted to see what would happen with some more typical parts. Off the shelf parts include the common 212/212 grind with comp 941 springs and 1.65 rocker arms, Precision front mount, and T-neitcs 60-1. The heads are GN1 ported by Russ Meritt with comp 941 springs. The same heads, cam and springs i ran on the engine last summer looking for 9's on a stock bottom end. The result was good for what it was on an old SMC non progressive /93 octane and how lightly it was hit. 21-22psi/20* netted 544whp. I would have ran it harder but was on a single 340 pump and the alky kit is being worked pretty hard at that power level. Another 30whp was there with a couple degrees more timing and i probably could have surpassed the one in December if i ran it all the way out. The engine it replaced http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/threads/10-61-127-85-with-60-1-compressor.347741/ never made more than 512whp and i had it up over 27psi/24* on the dyno a few times. The old one is in red and the latest one is in blue. Keep in mind the old engine was dynoed on a different day and looks like i had a 26" tire on it based on mph and i probably let off once i knew i was past peak power. Regardless this new one makes more power everywhere and spools faster. Im thinking an even smaller cam would do even better since the turbo is actually working pretty hard to keep up with the mass flow of this engine and really starts dropping hard around 5600. This turbo made 592whp on a more hardcore engine with a higher CR back in December http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/threads/how-much-power-with-a-60-1.367489/ with a more aggressive tune on C16. The cam was far from ideal in that example since it was peaking power around 5500 and the turbo was done for the most part at 5500. As you can see by mph even with the 275/60 DR's it needs a little less gear. A engine that can put 540-550whp down should put a car at 130mph or so. Looks like it was below 500whp already by the time i was at 130mph. A 29" tall slick would help alot here.
photo (56).JPG
photo (54).JPG

Brian,

Thanks for sharing all this information with the masses.

Just for clarification, what turbine wheel is on this turbo?

76 p trim. The 60-1 compressor runs out way before the p trim does
That is probably better than some turbos that are designed with compressor wheels that over power their turbines...

That is probably better than some turbos that are designed with compressor wheels that over power their turbines...
Yup as long as you were running it for power. Thats where having a really good converter (PTC 9.5") really pays off. This one could be a little tighter for 60-1 use itself on this engine even though it did a pretty good job as is.

That is some impressive power. Maybe one day my car will have that kind power haha.

Nix

How much hp do you think would have been given up if the heads were ported irons with larger intake valves?

Many years ago with a garrett 60-1 4 bolt, Isky 212/212, ported irons, DFI 6.0, 55 LBinjectors and Art carr 16930 = 127MPH @ 26PSI some things dont change :)
Mike

How much hp do you think would have been given up if the heads were ported irons with larger intake valves?
Thats the area with the biggest potential over the iron heads on this. The low lift flow on these aluminum heads is really good. Maybe 20whp at the same boost on this engine. These heads want to work well above the peak rpm of this engine.

Many years ago with a garrett 60-1 4 bolt, Isky 212/212, ported irons, DFI 6.0, 55 LBinjectors and Art carr 16930 = 127MPH @ 26PSI some things dont change :)
Mike
This turbo is actually from the mid 90's. I figured id try it since i had it and it did everything better than i thought it would. If you have cam and heads and a decent converter this turbo will easily cover 10.50 power.