More confused then ever on roller cams.

oddiesGN

Ok, I've been reading anything on this site about cams and other performance parts now for a couple of months to help me decide on what options I wanted to go with.

Before I get to far into this, here is what I have to work with. The 109 block has been rebuilt back to stock. I put it in my car last year with the other parts listed in my sig. Everything worked good, no problems, seem to be alright in the fast department, but I wanted it to be faster so if I need to race camaros or mustangs that are better then stock I should be able to beat them. I just want the car to be respected not stupid can't drive it everyday with the a/c on fast. Will take it to the track couple times a month, main purpose to drive around with the a/c on, look good and be faster then alot of other built cars around here. The engine only has 1800 miles on it and I don't want to have to rebuild it different to handle more power. Don't want it faster then what the stock bottom end can hold.

I thought that I was going with a roller cam, the revolution x cam either the 206/210 or the 210/215 from full throttle speed until I read that there is too much lift for the stock heads, problems with the valves guides. Then you have to replace the rocker arms with rollers, due to some having the rocker shaft break from the lift. Even if I go with roller rockers, have read that the rollers don't even set on the valve right, off center (only on the stock heads).

For what I have and my plans, is it better to go with a roller cam or flat tappet. The flat tappet I was looking at is the rev x1 206/212 or the rev x2 212/218 from full throttle. Its not all about going cheap, just can't get new heads, roller cam, roller rockers, and the other performance parts that I plan on getting. What performance difference will there be between the roller and flat tappet cams that I have been looking at. If I can still use my stock heads with better valve springs and stock rockers, (maybe go with the hd rocker shafts) without doing alot of machine work, I will go with the roller cam for the dependability. Or maybe buy the aftermarket heads and go with the flat tappet cam with stock rockers. Do I get aluminum or cast iron heads.

The reason I'm doing this is only because my stock transmission went out and I pulled the engine out and wanted to do something this winter to keep me busy, plus wanted more power. Was going with roller cam, heads and matching intake till I decided to change my converter with either a 2800 or 3000 stall.

So if any one has this type of setup, let me know what you did to make it work and I'll even lisen to what other performance parts will help me in what I'm needing. Is the cams I've selected too big or small to match what I have. The only other things I was planning on getting is high performance coil, power plate, high pressure wastegate actuator, better plug wires and other odd and ends stuff.

Thanks.

Performance goals?

Honestly, the cam is about the last thing you need to do to make these things fly. Work your way up the horse power ladder slowly. Learn to tune as you go. That's the fun. If you want to do some mods in the off season, get a better SLIC, alky kit and TT chip. At this level, you'll have your hands full just trying to sort out traction.

You do need to use a zink additive in your oil if your using a flat tappet cam. (EOS, ZDDP, Lucas, etc).

Happy spooling.

Mike Barnard

I don't know what I want for performance goals. Don't know what a good 1/4 mile time or max hp should be (the track we have here is 1/8 mile). What will it take to get 400hp or even 500hp. Probably don't want more then 500 hp. With the setup that I have now what do you think that my hp is. If I knew roughly what hp I have now, I might have a better understanding on what my goal is. I probably don't have much more then stock hp with this setup. Beside just adjusting stuff without knowing what your doing, what is the way to learn to tune your car. Don't know anyone in my area that tunes these other then a speed shop we have here, but they won't help me learn just to keep making money off me.

I have also read in a post that you don't want flat tappet cam, bad things can happen. If you go flat just keep your stock cam in. What is the different between stock and aftermarket. Why do the flat tappet go bad in these cars. I have always had flat tappets in my cars in the past with no problem. If all I do is change out stock cam with the 206/212 flat tappet from full throttle, what gains can I get if any.

Step 1;
Get PL and a WB, turn the boost to 25-26 without KR.

Step 2:
Port the heads/intake, replace IC.

Step 3, more confusion;
Unless there is a problem, leave the cam alone and spend the $$ on 1&2. :tongue:

If you plan on going fast. Start at the Rear End an work your way foward or else your car will be down alot (i'm using currie 9",billet/kevlar Z-pack 200r4 on-lock-up) I do run a 109 billet main with 218roller,but with 1.65 rockers,GN1 heads,GN1 Stroker kit,on Alky an 93. For your motor to get the Most out of it with-out being a total gernade, your looking at $6000 for short block,Cheaper if use stock peices but then the Gernade part comes in..if you do it right first time your car will be on the road Alot!

Enjoy!

Step 1;
Get PL and a WB, turn the boost to 25-26 without KR.

Step 2:
Port the heads/intake, replace IC.

Step 3, more confusion;
Unless there is a problem, leave the cam alone and spend the $$ on 1&2. :tongue:

Since I don't trust any one that can port the heads or intake around here, I could just buy different heads and intake. I know that champion has some aluminum or iron heads and a ported stock intake also. There is a $300 difference between aluminum and the iron heads, which one are easier to work with and is there much of a difference in power between the two?

If I replace the intercooler, should I go front mount or stock location? How much hotter does the car get with the front mout? Is the stock location one that much better then the stock one?

If I should leave the cam alone, why not just go with a better flat tappen cam with more lift? Isn't more lift like porting the heads, since more lift will give more flow?

What are some other guys engine setups that have aroud 400 to 500 hp with stock bottom end.

Since I don't trust any one that can port the heads or intake around here, I could just buy different heads and intake. I know that champion has some aluminum or iron heads and a ported stock intake also. There is a $300 difference between aluminum and the iron heads, which one are easier to work with and is there much of a difference in power between the two?

If I replace the intercooler, should I go front mount or stock location? How much hotter does the car get with the front mout? Is the stock location one that much better then the stock one?

If I should leave the cam alone, why not just go with a better flat tappen cam with more lift? Isn't more lift like porting the heads, since more lift will give more flow?

What are some other guys engine setups that have aroud 400 to 500 hp with stock bottom end.

Well . . . . . those are some good questions. :cool:

Additional clarifications on your goal is needed;
1-Is this a DD, weekened driver, etc.?
2-Will you stay on E-85?
3-You want the HP goal or the "WOW" factor? (No pun intended :()

One thing is for sure; You can make your HP goal with stock heads and cam, BUT, it won't happen without a GOOD tune!
Stock unported heads, stock cam, 26-27 boost should put you in the +400 range on E85. :biggrin:
Let's have one of the experts confirm this.

FWIW . . .
There are MANY MANY threads on this board about heads, IC's, cams, turbo's.
Good luck.