You can type here any text you want

Morel lifters & valvespring pressure?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

NCTURBOS

Gettin' back in action!!
Staff member
Just wondering what are the maximum pressures you guys are running your Morel lifters at? Both open and closed? Heck, any hydraulic lifter for that matter...?

K.

Morel roller lifters with Comp Cams 941 springs, set at 130 open and 350 closed.

Morel roller lifters with Comp Cams 941 springs, set at 130 open and 350 closed.

You may have those reversed.

To add to the thread, with these springs and Morels, how high do you spin the engine? and at what boost?

Inquiring minds..........

Bob

My $ pit

Crane (Calico Coating dry film lube) ( don't remember the part #) dual springs
145 closed
400 open
424 spring rate (this is important)
installed @ 1.840 on TA aluminum heads
6000 RPM shifts @ 25 psi
Scorpion hyd. lifters
.030 preload

You may have those reversed.

Bob

Yea, Bob, I had posted them backwards, thanks for pointing that out. It was a long day yesterday.

Should have been Comp 941 springs installed at 1.75", 130 closed and 350 open, with a spring rate of 454 #/inch.

Crane (Calico Coating dry film lube) ( don't remember the part #) dual springs
145 closed
400 open
424 spring rate (this is important)
installed @ 1.840 on TA aluminum heads
6000 RPM shifts @ 25 psi
Scorpion hyd. lifters
.030 preload

So for the spring rate, are you saying higher or lower is better?

Been looking at some springs made by Manley
They are 150@1.810 on the seat and 405@1.150 open.
Spring rate 379 :eek:
part #221436-16

To my knowledge so far they have been run as high as 160 on the seat. somewhere in the high 300's open is about it

Lee/Mike,

Now we're getting closer... How about some of the TSM style builds that are still running hydraulic lifters?? Anyone in the 145-160 seat range with say a 500-505 spring rate?

K.

That seat range is doable but the rate is very high , the open presures may collaspe the lifter. 360 open is close to the end but these new lifters seem to able to take a bit more. Unless you have a very radical grind or are planning 6500+ rpms I don't see the need.
ML

So for the spring rate, are you saying higher or lower is better?

Been looking at some springs made by Manley
They are 150@1.810 on the seat and 405@1.150 open.
Spring rate 379 :eek:
part #221436-16

To my knowledge so far they have been run as high as 160 on the seat. somewhere in the high 300's open is about it

Mike, what springs are you describing here and was that on a hydraulic roller?

What is your take on the Manley's above?

Rick,
give me a call so I can give you the sepcifics and ask you some questions
Mike

FWIW, and not really apples-to-apples... But we're running between 160-190 lbs. on the seat, and as much as 450 lbs. on the nose with our higher lift cams (.630-.650) in our "hot-rod" Harley's. The OEM and most aftermarket hydraulic lifters in the bikes are very similar to what we are using in our cars.

It just makes me wonder about them for our applications as the lifter doesn't know what type of vehicle it's installed in... :confused:

K.

Back