You can type here any text you want

Moser 12 bolt problem

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
From what I remember the way the lower mounts are shaped or designed it wouldn't even matter if they were cut off the tubes and rewelded. I know the shocks are still going to be a problem with the new rear that they sent me. My plan is to get the lower shock bolt lined up the best we can while its in the shock, tack it in place, take the shock off and weld the bolt into the lower mount. I cant see any other way of doing it. One of my friends out in MN has the exact same rear in his 79 Malibu and he had no problems. He also used non adjustable Hotchkiss upper arms which is exactly what I have in my 81 Malibu. Cant figure out how his fits and mine wont. What pissed me off is its supposed to be "made for the car" and its really not. I had to modify both backing plates when I first got the rear because they were hitting the lower arm mount. Not what I expected for close to 3K. I was going to buy a Currie 9" before I bought the Moser. I ran into someone that actually knew Greg Moser and he told me that they were a great company to deal with. That's why I bought the 12 bolt.
Maybe you should post on a few other g body sights to see if anyone else has an come up with a solution before you send your back. Just a thought.

From what I remember the way the lower mounts are shaped or designed it wouldn't even matter if they were cut off the tubes and rewelded. I know the shocks are still going to be a problem with the new rear that they sent me. My plan is to get the lower shock bolt lined up the best we can while its in the shock, tack it in place, take the shock off and weld the bolt into the lower mount. I cant see any other way of doing it. One of my friends out in MN has the exact same rear in his 79 Malibu and he had no problems. He also used non adjustable Hotchkiss upper arms which is exactly what I have in my 81 Malibu. Cant figure out how his fits and mine wont. What pissed me off is its supposed to be "made for the car" and its really not. I had to modify both backing plates when I first got the rear because they were hitting the lower arm mount. Not what I expected for close to 3K. I was going to buy a Currie 9" before I bought the Moser. I ran into someone that actually knew Greg Moser and he told me that they were a great company to deal with. That's why I bought the 12 bolt.
Maybe you should post on a few other g body sights to see if anyone else has an come up with a solution before you send your back. Just a thought.
I shouldn't have to modify anything. I paid good money for these and it is supposed to be direct bolt in. Even if they sent the perches separate, the shock mounts could be off once you set the pinion angle. I knew I shoulda went with strange from the get go. But I just haaaad to have a gm rear.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using TurboBuick Mobile mobile app

Ive been through this with a moser 9".

- mounts are made for 2 1/2 inch axle tubes, not the 3 or 31/2 tubes . the jig is based off of the same 2 1/2 " tubes.

moser will act like they never heard of this before..

I hope you keep us updated on what Moser says. I just don't understand how other guys have used this same rear without any problems. Im sure there are quite a few g body owners that have installed them with no mods at all. What the heck did they do to get hem to work right ? I think Im going to ask around...

Just to give you heads up, I put threads on Maliburacing and MontecarloSS asking about the 12 bolts. One reply on the Monte site so far and the guy says no matter what brand rear you buy you will have the same problem with the shocks because the mounts aren't shaped like the original factory mounts on the stock rear.

Just to give you heads up, I put threads on Maliburacing and MontecarloSS asking about the 12 bolts. One reply on the Monte site so far and the guy says no matter what brand rear you buy you will have the same problem with the shocks because the mounts aren't shaped like the original factory mounts on the stock rear.
I seen it. So has this been confirmed with Strange and Currie? Because I can't find any evidence of that. If that is the case, I would have just cut the ends off the 10 bolt and welded ford ends on em.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Funny. I bought a moser 12 bolt about 5 years ago for a 1972 camaro, was not cheap. I was having the worst time getting it installed in the car, a clean no rust survivor.

Multiple calls back and forth and they were blaming my springs, then my skills, the car being out of whack etc etc. I finally RE- installed the stock rear end and took the car to a shop I knew. The spring perches were not welded on parallel to each other, they were off quite a bit so when I installed one end the other was completely off.

I called moser and told them what I found. They asked me if I dropped the rear end, wtf?! Since when can dropping a rear end swivel leaf spring perches 10 degrees lol?? They suggested I cut and reweld the perches, I informed them that I didn't spend 2500 on a rear end to rebuild it myself.

Ended up sending it back and finding a GM 12 bolt and rebuilding it, never again. Bought 3 curries with no issues

Back