Most miles

BOBBY263052

Who has the most miles on their original, non rebuilt engine? Is 140,000 miles pushing it pretty far? How long would you expect a stock engine to last on a completely stock 86/87 grand national?

Thanks, GN newb, Bobby

Also, how many miles on the stock trans, rear ends, turbos? New to GN's and looking at a high mileage STOCK GN.

Thanks in advance, Bobby

My buddy bought his 86 T-Type new and clocked on 180,000 miles. Then he bolted on some go fast parts: turbo, intercooler, exhaust, etc.. It ran 11.80's @ 113mph!:D

Few years later and 225,000 miles it finally let a headgasket go. But from looking inside the engine you couldn't tell it had that many miles. The rear is still stock, trans. was rebuilt at 195,000.

I bought my car with 100,000 miles on the stock parts it rolled off the assembly line with. Added some basic bolt on's and it run 12.00's at 110mph. Until I overreved it and spun a rod bearing. Then it all started over spending lots of money to make it faster. Always want to go faster. My car currently has 140,000 miles on the stock rear. The trans. I rebuilt 2 years ago but actually didn't need it.

I would say if it looks like the car was well maintained I wouldn't be worried about buying with high mileage.

236K and all stock except injectors, chip and air inlet. It finally blew a head gasket.

I had a 1986 GN with 246,000 miles on it when I sold it. Bone stock, motor never opened. Still ran great. Condition of the motor and trans depends on how well it was taken care of. Type of oil used and how often changed is a big factor.