You can type here any text you want

Motor strain when AC is on

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Hardway

I have noticed my car had a reman AC compressor and converted to R-134 at some point in its life. It blows cold but anytime the compressor is on (AC or certain heat functions) it strains the motor at idle. I can feel it through the floor boards and hear it under the hood. When looking at the motor it jerks it from side to side pretty good. I have never seen an AC compressor do this on an American car before, only on Japanese 4 cylinders. Does anyones else's TTA or GN do this? Do you think it is just a crappy compressor?

Sure. The AC takes quite a bit of energy to run. Mine does it when I rarely use it.

Jason

Hi loads

Hi,
From my experience, a properly operating R4 compressor doesn't take a bunch of hp to run. However, R134a is not the same as R12; high side pressures are very much above the 12 , and pressure means extra drive power needed. I would suggest a change in refrigerant may help. RB276 is my favorite. It is a blend, contains it's own oil, and has very similar properties to R12.It may be coming to be hard to find, as it is deemed obsolete,but I believe it is still on the safe and legal list. It will lower your head pressure at least 50 psi on a hot day.
I realize that you are talking about an initial startup drop in rpm, but these compressors were designed not to do that. Compared to the A6 they replaced, there was a marked decrease in power consumption. Not until the V5 and DA6/ HR6 compressors, did it get any better.GM used the R4 until the late 90s, well beyond the 134a changeover.
If you continue to have what you consider to be excessive power draw when the a/c is engaged,i submit that there are issues with the unit itself. Rebuilt compressors are like anything else;you have to watch what you buy.
Good luck with your concerns.

Thank you for all the info on the compressors and refrigerants. It's not hot in Texas right now but I know come April it will start warming up. You are right, the reman compressors are a crapshoot. I have never bought one, always spent the extra $50 and got a new AC Delco ones. Oh well, if I decide to keep the car till April that might be something else on the list to be changed.

Back