You can type here any text you want

Motor

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

84beastregal

Need serious help guys my bro has a 231 .20 over with stock heads edelbrock intake and carb and also edelbrock 5487 cam we recently got car running nd it starts of fine but wen in gear its so slow and in reverse it runs good like normal and helpp???

Sent from my C5155 using Tapatalk

Pull the edeljunk cam.. does it have no bottom end power? had same issue with that edeljunk stuff. just saying.....

Not sure but I remembered wen it was stock me nd my bro tried moving the timing on distributor nd it would either turn off or not have any power to go is that it has to be set exactly on tdc???

The timing should be set BTDC. The big thing is initial timing and total timing. It's odd that the engine runs like crap in forward but good in reverse but reverse has different gearing.

Is the distributor a non puter one of are you still using the CCC one? If using a non CCC distributor then it's not that big a deal. Timing is set at 6-800 RPM in gear and should be above 10 degrees. Bumping it up will most likely be needed once you start playing. I used to run a total of 40 degrees timing and never had an issue but that's when the gas was still fairly decent.

Motor is similar to mines minus the turbo

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1400731531826.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1400731531826.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 86
Does the distributor have a vacuum advance on it? If not then it's a CCC unit and doesn't change timing . If it does it will change timing as RPM and load change.

78-79 Buick V6 distributor is needed here. The CCC system won't work with a edlejunk carb.

As Charlie said, you need an early even fire distributor with a vacuum advance. Stock, they have 12-14 crank degrees in the distributor and the intial timing is set at 16-18 degrees before TDC. That gives you about 32 degrees total advance. 34 degrees total advance is probably ideal. A timing light with a dial feature to check total advance helps to get it right. You want manifold vacuum (idle vacuum) for the vacuum advance, not venturi vacuum. What size is the Holley carb? Anything over 600 cfm is too big for your combo.

Pretty big carburetor for a 231 with a stock converter and factory rear gears, but if it has vacuum secondarys and they open only at higher rpm's, it will probably work OK without bogging. The right distributor should help.

Back