MPH without caps or girdle on a 109

turbo2nr

I know this has been beat to death, but every year that goes by, the community learns a little more.

What MPH would a stock bottom end take, maybe with upgraded pistons.

Assuming a safe tune, plenty of octane, etc...

Anybody go over 130MPH on a stock short block?

Would i be OK running 128MPH without a girdle or caps?

I plan on doing a better short block next winter, this is about I can afford this year. Roll Cage, FAST, suspension, fuel system, heads,cam,tranny,etc... all had to be done first. I got that out of the way. So, this year I got to try to keep it together untill I can do it right. I'm a boost junky, so I know I'll be pushing it hard. When should I stop?? (Yeah, someone will say,, when you run over the crank, back off a little and that should be good. I don't want to go there!)

I did 127 with a non girdled,non capped 4.1 block.Those are supposed to be weaker than the 109. :)

im at 137 mph, with just 2 billet caps. 3600lbs w/driver.
had a friend go 134 if i recall correctly with completely stock short. eventualy the block cracked.

I had the same decision.. I spent the money on the girdle and run stock pistons. Money it cost for aftermarket pistons, boring, honing, pressing pins, etc.. girdle was a plan.

I ran 128 on an untouched bottom end in a car thats 350lbs heavier than a typical Buick. That motor just ran 10.99 two weeks ago. 150+ passes in the mid 120's.

I have now had over 30+ 10 sec passes at 3850. Hyd cam.

Just dont detonate it :redface:

Razor said:
I had the same decision.. I spent the money on the girdle and run stock pistons. Money it cost for aftermarket pistons, boring, honing, pressing pins, etc.. girdle was a plan.

That's exactly what I done. Girdle comes first on the bottom end.

Well Orlando ran 9.97 @137.29mph (a new best MPH for him) today at Moroso and his current shortblock only has Wiseco pistons not even the 2 center billet caps (stock main caps, stock crank, stock rods, stock bolts)

Unfortunately on his next pass he windowed the block! :eek: His car is 3550-3600lbs w/ him in it if I remember correctly so he's probably making too much power :biggrin: Probably a good time for one of Jason's girdles and maybe some of those $450 forged rods some vendors are selling :)

if you are running above 125 without any bottom end support it is just a matter of time before things let go.

On my personal car, i have stock caps and a girdle. it has over 100k on the stock rods and caps and has been running in the high 9's since 2002 and has run in the low tens for 3 years before that.

the only problem we had was with bearings around late 2002. we then build a deep sump oil pan and the motor has not been apart since. it goes faster every time we take it to the track.

this is what i recomend, 120-125 caps, 125+ girdle (and the caps can be stock.)