MSD DIS-4 & FAST causing problems...

Spud

Trying to solve my problem as to why my car drove so lousy when I changed my ECU to SEFI from B2B. Used the same .gct file as before, and it ran bad. In speaking with FAST, the file shouldn't have been that different, and suggested it was something else. So, I bypassed my MSD and installed my KB BAS and it ran fine. Still a lot of work to do with re-setting the VE tables, but it at least drives decent enough to do some data logging and some road work with the laptop.

This is a brand new DIS-4 too... I might take it back to the shop I got it from. Everything I've read how MSD doesn't work too well with FAST or with waste spark systems appears to have some merit...

Pretty much all DIS-4 boxes are junk and MSD keeps selling them. Read all the bad posts on here and see what everyone thinks of them.

Spud, the problems aren't limited to those with FAST systems. It just so happens that FAST was a convenient and very public scapegoat for some other problems that they brought on themselves.

It is tempting to discuss the details here but I will refrain.

Pretty much all DIS-4 boxes are junk and MSD keeps selling them. Read all the bad posts on here and see what everyone thinks of them.

I'd like to see if there are stats on DIS-4 problems occuring more or less frequently with SEFI set ups opposed to B2B. May be coincidental with the change from B2B, but I never had anything close to this sort of problem before with the DIS-4.

Regards,

Spud

We had a DIS-4 on two cars. Both crapped out while at the track without any warning, both cars had stock ECM's.

Wow was this the DIS-4 HO?

Yes. One Dis-4 is back on one car, the other car got a distributor:)

The car with the DIS-4 is working again....who knows?? It must have a mind of it's own. We never leave the house without the bypass plug though.

Yep..

Spud, the problems aren't limited to those with FAST systems. It just so happens that FAST was a convenient and very public scapegoat for some other problems that they brought on themselves.

Craig, I remember that "shootout". :eek:
I had the HO and a sequential FAST on my car. No problems with it, other than 1 wierd happening. No start. I unplugged the HO, added the jumper plug, and it fired up. Plugged the HO back in, and it ran til I sold the car..:confused:

Yes. One Dis-4 is back on one car, the other car got a distributor:)

The car with the DIS-4 is working again....who knows?? It must have a mind of it's own. We never leave the house without the bypass plug though.

It wont for long. Just hopefully it wonk quit during a race.

Craig,
I a gree with you. Quite a few Ford Mod coil pack guys that lost their money on MSD. There are quite a few of us that would love to hear the details. We all know whos fault it really is.

Looking for a broken MSD DIS-4

If anyone has their broken DIS-4 still. I am interested.

I'm sure there are a lot of them out there.. Give me an e-mail or private message. Or just reply to this post..

AEM vs MSD

I was tuning a supra running an AEM ecu and an MSD DIS-4 ho and DIS 2-ho as there are 6 coil packs. The DIS-4 went out 2 times, and MSD says the new ones are not repairable, only the older version hardware. Anyway we were able to get our hands on an AEM box and it plugged right in the the MSD harness same exact pinout imagine that... any way the AEm box has been going stong for over 4 months now. I will never go to an MSD box on my own car.