Msd

Mine is going back for a check up too. It will not allow the car to start at times. Unplug the MSD car starts. While trying to start the car with the MSD on the LED will start to flash very slow. Hasnt been on for more than 6mo.:mad: :mad: :mad:

Re: MSD DIS-4 PROBS?

Originally posted by Two Lane

Is it the standard street/strip MSD DIS-4 *OR* the race MSD DIS-4 HO (High-Output) giving probs?

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Louie, which version is yours? TIA!!

My MSD,as well as several I sold never worked right either. I finally sent in, "had the 6200 studder problem", they returned it, saying it checked out fine. Since Ihad called first and the tech said they had not had any complaints with the unit, I knew I was in trouble. When I called back after receiving the box back, Iwas again told there were absolutely no problms with the boxes. I couldn't accept that, since I remember this thread from before and knew of many guys with the same complaint, so I pressed the kid until he suddenly had a brain fart..... Ohhhhh, do you use a FAST unit? Of course I do, I tell him, he goes on to say that they have founda problem with the box being used in conjunction with aftermarket engine management but have not yet figured it out.
My friend Paul got his unit to work by going through some major insulation routines. Maybe he can share what he did. Too much for me to write down. I also no of several guys whose work fine tat are usingFAST units, Jason being oneof them.

I got the HO version for 4-5 years and no signs of problem. I also using it just for the mutiple spark discharge and the 2-step.

But then again its not a stage II.

I wouldn't say I got it to work right. I got it so that last time out when I ran it plugged in, it ran the same as with the bypass plugged in. Both times the car was stuutering a little around 7000 and not pulling through it.

I had the exact same breaking up at 6200 that Jack had. I sent that box back and got a new one. I moved the coil to DIS harness as far away from the other electrical stuff. Then I wrapped the harness from the DIS to the coil pack in aluminum foil and connected the foil to ground. I ran new power and ground wires from the box directly to the battery completely away from other wires. I also got a good stereo noise suppressor and connected that to the 12v power at the DIS4 box.

I'm also going to add a capacitor to the power feed to the module.
I just noticed that in the instructions tonight.

I got the 2 step connected tonight. That didn't work right. The boost controler is holding the rpms 500 higher than the 2 step is set for. :rolleyes:

OK now people are saying they have had problems with this piece off@#$*. I dont get time to check this out much but I asked about a month ago if anyone was having problems with these boxes.
I have run the non HO box for about three or four years with no problems and then I got a miss at 7600rpm's this year and decided to buy the HO box. The miss is bad enough that the car will not rev any more! So I put the HO box on and it would not start the car. So I got another and it fired up took the car out and same thing 7600 rev limit it felt like.
I have just sent both boxes off to have them check---- first
I check them with the coil tester from caspers and with the tach hook up the HO would "stop" sparking at 6500 rpm's unhooked the wires and hooked up the NON HO box and it would go all the way to 7000rpms but that is as high as the tester would rev it to, then I check just the stock coil and it would go to 7000. So I new somthing was wrong with the HO box but was not sure if the other was good or bad at 7600 because the coil tester would not turn that high. sent them off and they said that the HO would not spark at all (BULL) but the other box was ok.
On to today put the new box in and it would not go over 6400rpm's agian, well I decided to go to the track and see last night and the car would not rev over 6800 rpm's. I put the bypass plug in and the stock coil will fire to 7000. Put a new coil and module on any way. Still would not run.
My Problem is I have a race next weekend that is for real I'm first in the points and I need a good box what can I do. That is what sucks so bad!!!!!
If anyone would let me use a none good box it would really help.

Jay I asked them about a coil per cyl. and they told me they didn't have anything for the buicks. Jim at pte was going to build me one but that place is not all that freindly now.

Richie

Originally posted by JCotton
he suddenly had a brain fart..... Ohhhhh, do you use a FAST unit? Of course I do, I tell him, he goes on to say that they have founda problem with the box being used in conjunction with aftermarket engine management but have not yet figured it out.

Its not just the DIS4 , it is any of their DIGITAL boxes, we have about a 75% sucess rate with them using a F.A.S.T. system, the problem is on MSD's end......The analog boxes are more reliable IMHO, when they break they just stop working all together.
Bill

Ok so are we saying that there is a design problem/flaw with them or are they just not wanting to jive with the FAST unit. ?

You would think MSD would get the message after seeing a constant stream of these things coming in!

:confused:

Originally posted by Louie L.
Ok so are we saying that there is a design problem/flaw with them or are they just not wanting to jive with the FAST unit. ?

You would think MSD would get the message after seeing a constant stream of these things coming in!

:confused:

I have not had any problems with the Digital boxes when not using a F.A.S.T.

Bill, did you get the digital to work on your car ? I remember reading you had problems.

Paul

NEED your HELP

I have been on the phone all morning with SPIKE at MSD and they say they have not had problems with the DIS4 on the buicks running the FAST system. they have had alot of problems with the mustangs and the fast. So if you could call this number today and tell him that you are haveing the no start and the high rpm miss also.

915-857-5200 ext. 5200
Spike is his name

thanks for the help Richie

NEED your HELP

I have been on the phone all morning with SPIKE at MSD and they say they have not had problems with the DIS4 on the buicks running the FAST system. they have had alot of problems with the mustangs and the fast. So if you could call this number today and tell him that you are haveing the no start and the high rpm miss also.

915-857-5200 ext. 158
Spike is his name

thanks for the help Richie

I thought MSD made a stand alone 2step rev limiter that could be installed on almost any ignition?

I've been hearing this bad rap for years from many different sources including myself, that's why I'll probably never have one on any of my cars! the pro's just don't even come close to outweighing the cons.

just my .02 worth.
BigAl...

My box went back 4 times, every time it checked out fine on their end. Installed it on the car, still had the 6200-6400 miss. Brian at Ramchargers convinced them to send me a new unit, everything has been fine since then. We are running the MSD's on 3 of our Buicks 2 standard boxes, 1 HO all are running the FAST system.
I don't think the problem is with the FAST unit, it seems to be hit or miss if you get a good one.

Dave Bamford

OK guys i have been on the phone for about 4-5 hrs today with Spike of MSD and Craig and Lance trying to get this straight. Msd first said it was the fast system's coil charge time was not right needed to be 3.5ms. Lance and Craig say the fast as well as the stock ecm use a 6ms time frame or so. So I'm going to buy a thrid box going back to the non HO box which I used for about 4 years with no problems and going to send the thrid HO box back again to get looked at. Spike at msd is sending me a tester to test the boxes here because they have not heard of the casper's coil tester and dont know how it works. So as of right now I might have a good box to race with this weekend but then again who know's.

Spike and some others have been reading this board today because they first told me they have not had any problems with this box so I told them about all these people talking about it now on this board and they called me back just to ask were this tread was and how to get to it. So they are reading these.
Now they are acting a little more help on the problem and maybe now we can run faster and help them fix the problem

richie

I had the no start problem with my MSD....first time I sent it back, they found no problem......next time they sent me a new box...of course they neglected to tell me they have changed the cable that connects to the adaptor(!) and they pitched the cable I sent in with the unit

I have had it with MSD.......

I am pretty well convinced they are more trouble than they are worth

Originally posted by Brian Schauder
Sent two digital tens back.Now have a good old trusty 7al in the car with no problems.
Brian those 7AL'S arent made in heaven either. Just make sure you have a spare handy. As well as a coil. I had a couple of experiences tearing my hair out only to find out that those piece's
are failure prone. Problem is they don't fail completely & create some wierd hard to solve symptoms.