You can type here any text you want

MT Drag Radials and GTA Fronts

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

ryeguy87GN

87FSTGN
Are any of you running M/T 255/50/16 on GTA/GNX wheels? How close to the frame are they? Do they rub when driving? Do you have to use spacers? Anyone with pics?

I'm not yet, but I will be very soon. I don't think you will need a spacer on the back. I will update as soon as I do.

I mounted my GTA fronts w/o tires the other day. There is 1 3/8" clearance between the frame and the rim. I was wondering if there was going to be enough clearance. I have read it thousand times that the fronts fit without any modifications but it looked tight without a tire. I am going to trust the other posts and try once I get the tires.

Clearance

Mine are on and I have about 1/4 inch of space between tire and front side of frame and 1/4 inch on the back side of frame. Both measurements are on the rear wheels only. Seems to tight for my standards but is 1/4 inch enough? I have 20 psi in the tires now. Can't drive my car to check it out, MN salt on the roads.

re:

Are any of you running M/T 255/50/16 on GTA/GNX wheels? How close to the frame are they? Do they rub when driving? Do you have to use spacers? Anyone with pics?

I had them on before. If mounted on GTA fronts, then there is all kinds of room to spare. I think with GTA rears, you'll need a 1/4" spacer and longer studs. I now have massive looking 28x12.5x16 MT ET streets on a 16x10 GTA G-body parts conversion wheel and still have room to spare on the inside (rolled fender on outside).

Gta

Lawdog, or anyone else how much room is all kinds of room to spare? It really seems tight with only a 1/4 inch or possibly a little less. I do have all kinds of room on the outside of the tire to the fender lips. I am using aluminum drums, does that make any difference?

re:

Lawdog, or anyone else how much room is all kinds of room to spare? It really seems tight with only a 1/4 inch or possibly a little less. I do have all kinds of room on the outside of the tire to the fender lips. I am using aluminum drums, does that make any difference?

Aluminum drums are thicker and push the wheels out (somewhere between an 1/8th to 1/4" I'd guess) over the steel drums. Maybe my vehicle is a bad example (they all run slightly different) but with 255/50's I had a good 3/4" to spare on the inside on both wheels (with aluminum drums). Maybe someone else can chime in, I think that 1/4" may be enough if not being track launched. If you're still not comfortable you can put in longer studs and add a spacer. Try a search -- there is alot of info about GTA/drag radial fitment here.

Hope that helps.

I have Nitto DR's on GTA fronts with Baer disk brakes. I will check to see what size tire and clearance this weekend.
Conrad Carter
North Carolina

I have Nitto DR's 245-50-16 mounted on GTA fronts with Baer rear discs. Does NOT rub on my 84GN!
Conrad

Wheel space between frame

How many of you have had to use a spacer with GTA Fronts on the rear of our cars so that they won't rub the frame? How close is to close to the frame without a spacer?

How many of you have had to use a spacer with GTA Fronts on the rear of our cars so that they won't rub the frame? How close is to close to the frame without a spacer?

ive got your same set-up on mine,and yes its close and ive had no issues with it except i think it looks tucked in too far,but ive had it for a while so you will be fine...if you smell rubber put a small spacer...

I run 255/50/16 BFG drag radials with GTA fronts on the rear. Without a 1/4 or 3/8 spacer the right rear rubs on the inside frame rail when I turn to the left. Yes, when I turn left the right rear tire just barley touches the frame so I have to run spacers. I have steel drums also. Check my sig for suspesnion mods. Car is tight. I had the problem before the suspension mods too.

Back