You can type here any text you want

My '72 Chevelle 454 vs. GNX at the track

• Thread starter Thread starter Holy Chevelle
  • Start date Start date

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
H

Holy Chevelle

I usually don't post about my losses, but this was one actually impressed the S*** out of me. I was at the test and tune at Route 66 in Joliet, IL just, well, testing and tuning I ended up lining up next to this very stock looking GNX. I love these cars they are badass looking but I also wanted to race one. Anyways, back to the line. I was just running 10 inch DR's and it looked like he was close to that so I figured we had a decent race on our hands. The first yellow flashes and all of the sudden it sounds like a freaking jet is preparing for takeoff I didn't look but I certainly heard that thing spooling. I actually got the jump and had him at about 30' but it was waaay over after that he just wasted me. Unfortunately for myself i didn't see that this dude had a goddamn parachute! I laughed when I saw it at the turnoff though. It was the coolest loss i have ever had (if there is such a thing as a cool loss) He clicked off a 9.5 @ 151 (barely enough for the 'chute) and myself at an 11.1. I didn't use the NOS as my timing was not being nice to me (trying to dial in the Jacobs Nitrous Mastermind) im sure it would have been closer had I run it. Good times overall, though. Later.

:D :D :D You may want to check your competition for parachutes next time. That is pretty funny! 11.1 is pretty dang fast too....for a Chevy;)

It probably wasn't a real GNX. Nobody cuts up a GNX like that.

Never underestimate the power of the Dark Side.

Good loss:D
Only 547 GNX's were ever made and they were done by McLaren. It was probably a "regular" GN, you know the ones with the parachute option code G69:D

Well he claims it's a real one, but I guess it's hard to tell when it's modified like that. I've seen one other GNX on eBay that was actually backhalved and that one had proof so it's not that easy to say nobody would do that to one, however stupid it may be.

there's a couple GNXs out there that are full drag cars so maybe it really was a GNX...some people are stupid you know!

It probably wasn't a real GNX. Nobody cuts up a GNX like that.

actually, i've heard of one in illinois in which the retard stuck a Stage II motor in it w/ all the other stuff. License plate read "X does 9s". Makes me sick to think about doing that to such an awesome and rare car.

There is a guy in my town that owns a GNX. He just got it earlier in the Summer. He asked me if I wanted to buy it a few months ago, but now seems to want to keep it. I was at his house last night with a fellow TR enthusiast trying to convince him not to nut it out since he says his 396 4spd Chevelle is a lot faster than the GNX. He also asked/challenged me to a race against his Chevelle with my GN. I think I'll wager money against him not doing anything stupid to that car if he loses. Let's hope I can win one for the team...

Dean, just offer to run his GNX against his 396:)

Show him how much faster it is unless it runs like crap
That 396 would have to have some serious mods to get the GNX without nitrous or a 14-71

Darnit, I almost went to test n tune last week too. There are usually a couple GN's out running mid 14's to mid 12's, but nothing is ever there that is quick.... besides me of course. :rolleyes: :D I gotta get to work.

gnx in Alta

that wouldn't be the GNX that came from Winnipeg, would it?? If so, nice car, only has about 6500miles on it, don't think it's modded very much, but it's a dang GNX, what else do they need besides a parachute :D . The guys brother still has another one #178, so I guess that's why they sold it...sounds like a good race.

Jay

That would be the one. Do you know the owner? I sent you an e-mail with a question about the car. Thanks.

Sounds like this post has:

turned into a real witch hunt for anyone modding a real GNX.
I think that calling someone stupid or stating that somebody is stupid only because they chose to modify a vehicle that you think is so valueable that it should not be modded is pretty lame in itself. They evidently have enough money, or a strong enough desire that they have chosen to modifty it, regardless of it's value. If you keep all 547 bone stock museum pieces, life would be very dull and boring, and we would see less of them on the road than we do. I think that a person who can afford to, or has chosen to modify a car that some people can't afford to either own, modify, deserves respect for what he thinks is the way his car should be. I am very disappointed that members of the turbobuick clan look upon other this way. I think that you should take this witch hunt over to one of the GNX forums, where at least some of the people who have performed such "bad" operations can defend their actions and convictions. Most are only doing the same thing as you .They are doing their best to keep the Buick legend alive and strong.
Gary Wells
"TOLTK"

Hmmm. First Gary I don't think there is any witch hunt going on so really dude don't your panties in a twist. Saying someone is making a stupid decision and calling them outright stupid are two different things. ;) You make a good point but lets do the math. Considering the drop in value of a GNX when it is modded, a person could go out and buy a high mileage, but well-maintained, GN and still break even or come out ahead in the long run. Leave the valuable GNX alone and modify a GN. It's not like it takes a lot to get a stock GN to outrun a GNX anyways really. Anyways, that's just my view. I know its shared by many others but of course not all. Its not a sentimental GNX thing...its just common sense for the wallet.

Also, I am just going to say that there is a lot of info not given here such that you don't really have a clue of the situation of this particular car. You don't know how the current owner came across the funds to buy the car in the first place (which is noone's business really) nor do you know the magnitude of the modifications he is/was contemplating to make me suggest he reconsider.

But your post was interesting reading nonetheless. :p

PS. I like this owner, just as I like the GNX owner a few hours from me who blew up his motor during a WOT run through Montana in the dead of the night a few years ago and then gave it to his wife as a daily driver once he got it rebuilt. To each his own.

I think that calling someone stupid or stating that somebody is stupid only because they chose to modify a vehicle that you think is so valueable that it should not be modded is pretty lame in itself.

:confused: I think most of us here respect the GNX enough to not go and tear it apart when practically every other TR has been. You dont(or shouldnt) just do that to such a rare and awesome car.
Its not that *I* think the GNX is "so valueable".....the GNX *IS* valuable. Stock TR's are getting too rare now, why go beating up a GNX when it's worth so much more sitting in a garage?

I know of at least one GNX drag car. Remember, the value goes down alot if its 1. high milage 2. theft recovery or 3. salvaged title.

Ok, I see:

When it came time to decide between a really nice GNX and another car to own, I sold out and bought a new '02 vette Z06. I also did not see modding a gnx, and I knew that I would the first time that I lost a stoplight to stoplight. But I do believe that to each his own. And I respect all gn/t-types/gnx's, as I have owned consecutively: a '86 gray t-type, later sold. A '87 white t-type limited, still currently my daily driver. Another white '87 t-type, my favorite, unfortunately, hit by another car at the car wash, later sold. A '87 Grand National, later sold. I juast recently bought a Z06 because I could not find a really nice gn/t-type meeting my criteria for mileage, condition, lack of roof treatment. Price was my last concern. Not everybody is governed by their wallet, as indicated above. Not everybody is governed by smart finincial decisions, as indicated above.
Gary Wells
"TOLTK"
All gnx's are the elite of the late model Buicks, stock or modded.
And all deserve respect.
Also, my '02 Z06 vette will stay stock only long enough to determine what makes the most rwhp the cheapest, easiest, and most socially acceptable.

The discussion about modding rare cars is quite good, and I thought I'd jump in...

I have one of the 15 cloth/hardtop TTAs, with 3400 miles on the odometer now (I bought it in May with 2500 miles on it). It might not be a GNX, but it's still rare. And yes, I have modified it and am still in the process of modifying it further.

Blasphemy you say? Perhaps to some, but not in my book. Save for the muffler (the original was long gone when I got the car) all of my mods have been easily reversible bolt-ons, and I have all the original take off parts for the car with the exception of the muffler. I'm currently debating if I should put subframe connectors on it. I know that welding to the car will be permanent (no way can I hide the weld marks even if I remove the subframes later) but in my book some welding on the bottom is better than cracks in the roof. I bought this car to DRIVE, hence the reason I am contemplating the subframes. If I was going to trailer the car to shows and only drive it off and on the trailer, I'd never even consider the subframes. But, this goes for all my cars (present and future) it's not going to be some trailer queen no matter how nice it is. There are too many low mileage TTAs (and GNXs out there) that were bought, stored, and never driven. The owners have never really enjoyed the cars, because they just sit. I don't know about you guys, but I like to drive my cars, even if it is rare and low mileage. If I wanted shiny objects to display, maybe I'd collect antiques or something, but I prefer cars, and cars are made to be driven, even if they are rare and low mileage. I don't plan on daily driving it, but it certainly isn't going to sit.

However, while this might sound in complete contradiction to what I just said (even hypocritical), if at all possible, and given a car with multiple trim levels, I always prefer to see a base model or more common model with extensive modifications than the rare version with extensive modifications. I was looking for a cloth/t-top TTA originally because I knew full well I was going to modify the vehicle. However, the Cloth/Hardtop car came along at the right time and at the right price and I couldn't pass it up. So know rather than having a much more common car that I wouldn't have too much trouble modifying, I have a rare car which gives me second thoughts every time I consider another mod. This is why I'm drawing the line at a THDP as the last mod to the car. Because of the rarity I don't want to do anything permanent if at all possible, with the possible exception of the subframe connectors. I'm also beginning to consider that I might be happier returning my car to stock and selling it to a collector to be preserved and buying a less-rare variant of a TTA to modify, then I won't feel bad about modding a car with only 14 siblings and racking up the mileage on a low-mileage car.

On the other hand, I do have the TTA I've wanted for years, I've got most of the mods I'd like to do, and on top of that I managed to end up with the rarest version, so I'm pretty happy on all 3 counts. I'd love to go nuts with the mods and have a 10 second TTA, but I think I'll buy a GN or a Turbo-T for that, or possibly a higher mileage TTA.

As for a GNX... if I had one, I would modify it, but only enough so that I wouldn't be worried about driving it-- meaning put on a non-ceramic bladed turbo (shelve the original), change the fuel pump, hotwire it, and a scan tool. Nothing more than that.

Originally posted by Gokou
I won't feel bad about modding a car with only 14 siblings and racking up the mileage on a low-mileage car.

One of the 15 was stolen near the original owner of mine and burned. So your car only has 13 siblings. ;) Mine has 927 miles on it, and the odometer is going nowhere fast. #884 has about 53K on it at the moment. There is one in NJ with 29K on it. And there is one in TX that was for sale earlier this year with about 40K on it. So perhaps yours is more rare and lower mileage than you thought. Of course, I thoroughly believe you should drive it every chance you get since the odometer is too close to mine. :p

If you don't mind, pm me with the details of your purchase of the car. I'm always curious to learn about the others. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

PS. In my heart I think your right about driving them. I keep telling myself to go register my TTA so I can take it for a drive before the snow flies. Later.

Back