My competition is getting faster

Texas gn

Does anyone have a recommendation for the next performance step in my need to go faster project? See my sig…. So far I have been able to keep all of my coworkers chasing the old GN. However in the last 2 weeks one of them show up with tuned / exhaust modified 08 6speed corvette that sounds awesome. The other coworker has just purchase a 08 GT-500 that is getting a cold air system/pulley and a tune next week. The last guy is picking up his 2011 5.0 GT in a week or two. Now, I have not been to the track since I installed the PL and airbags so I am expecting to improve my poor 1.9 60ft times. I keep thinking my next investment should be a Precision intercooler but I have read lots of people are running low 11’s with a stocker. Also there is the cam…port heads ect. that I have not done yet. I am looking to spend around a grand for the upgrade. Anyways if someone what to chime in and make a recommendation that might keep me in front of them I would appreciate it.

You have a great build as it is. Though, it's not a 12.2 build... What was the short time, ambient air temp., coolant temp, tire psi, & elevation, during that pass. What kind of tires and what size were they. Who tuned your car. Does your chip match your combo? Do you have ANY other suspension mods that aren't listed?
Something was off on that run. Do you have ANY vac/boost leaks at all? Stock headers? Do you run a cat still?
What was the boost/rpms you left the line at?

In a nutshell, with that build, and mickey thompson tires, with dual airbags, you can net a 11.5 no problem, with a good tune, and everything else in a state of good repair. From the parts you listed, there's nothing physically holding you back from a much quicker time. Something else is amiss.

edit: also, you didn't mention an adjustable fuel pressure regulator. Do you have one?
With your combo, and everything tuned correctly, with no igniton problems or vac leaks, and on slicks, you should have NO problem wiping the floor with those guys. Though, if you go out racing, make sure your BRAKES are in tip top condition. And don't run pizza cutters on the street either. It's stupid.

After you get your tune down, and you start netting mid eleven et's, you may not want to take the build any further. If you still do, port the heads. There's nothing you really need after that.

After that, you may want to start lookin' at suspension and brake upgrades. Ie replacement rear control arms, thicker rear sway bar, bilstein shocks, new bushings all the way around, and bigger rotors/better calipers. Maybe a set of nice aluminum rims, with zr rated tires all the way around. Let me tell you it makes a HUUUGE improvement from steel rims with all season radials.... HUGE.

You have a great build as it is. Though, it's not a 12.2 build... What was the short time, ambient air temp., coolant temp, tire psi, & elevation, during that pass. What kind of tires and what size were they. Who tuned your car. Does your chip match your combo? Do you have ANY other suspension mods that aren't listed?
Something was off on that run. Do you have ANY vac/boost leaks at all? Stock headers? Do you run a cat still?

In a nutshell, with that build, and mickey thompson tires, with dual airbags, you can net a 11.5 no problem, with a good tune, and everything else in a state of good repair. From the parts you listed, there's nothing physically holding you back from a much quicker time. Something else is amiss.

edit: also, you didn't mention an adjustable fuel pressure regulator. Do you have one?
With your combo, and everything tuned correctly, with no igniton problems or vac leaks, and on slicks, you should have NO problem wiping the floor with those guys. Though, if you go out racing, make sure your BRAKES are in tip top condition. And don't run pizza cutters on the street either. It's stupid.

I will try and answer everyone’s questions. Part of the problem is…....I am the tune guy that is learning the hard way. Let me answer some of you questions. 60ft was 1.9sec, 70 degrees, 180 on the gauge, 18psi in MTs ….south west Texas. I believe the leaks have been repaired. Rear suspension is stock at the time of the run. I do have bags now but have not tried them. Stock headers and no cat. Boost on the line was maybe 3psi. I have completed a brake rebuilt w/ long shoes and s-10 cylinders but have not tried it out yet on the track. I can however hold 8-10 psi on the street. Yes I have an adjustable regulator. My powerlogger is also reading fuel pressure now. I like what useaboost said about…timing and boost.

Without installing some heads/cam, I'd say turn it up some more. Better 60 foot time will help you get an 11 second time slip however if you want more mph, turn it up and/or try a front mount IC. The TE-60 is an extremely drivable turbo. Larger turbos are more sensity with part throttle conditions and get the snorting/surging sound. Depends if you want all out WOT performance or drivability too.

Without installing some heads/cam, I'd say turn it up some more. Better 60 foot time will help you get an 11 second time slip however if you want more mph, turn it up and/or try a front mount IC. The TE-60 is an extremely drivable turbo. Larger turbos are more sensity with part throttle conditions and get the snorting/surging sound. Depends if you want all out WOT performance or drivability too.

Not sure how well the front mount would go over down here. It is hot! That is why i have not been back to the track all summer. I only go to the track 5-6 times a year.

One other thing i missed ....tires are 255/50/16 MT drags 26 inch. TT chip from Eric.

Switching to 28" tires will net you an 11 second timeslip with no other changes.

Without ported heads/cam, the 26" tires will limit your mph, which will limit your ET.

Not sure how well the front mount would go over down here. It is hot! That is why i have not been back to the track all summer. I only go to the track 5-6 times a year.

I live in Phoenix and have a Front Mounted IC.

A big aluminum radiator, Dual Spal fans and some "Kool Aide" coolant helper in the radiator keep me below 195 in the summer.

The Spoolfool 2 cents.

IMHO, At this time, the most effective "performance" thing you need is knowledge and patience. With a good tune, you have those guys covered like a wet blanket. Your Powerlogger is a very powerfull tool. Think of it as a dyno, to learn what your car likes and doesn't like. I also agree that a 28" tall MT DR (@ 20 psi) would help you more than another 50 HP would. Most street races are over before 300 feet.

Let us know how it goes.

Mike Barnard

If you haven't done all rear bushings yet or put on boxed control arms, do it. It's a major improvement. Aside from that I would crank that turbo up a few more lbs and add some timing. Outside of that I would figure out why you are running so hot when it is only 70 outside and go to the taller tire. After that I would upgrade to a pte slic. This is going to be my next upgrade after a stall converter.

Might it be..

"In a nutshell, with that build, and mickey thompson tires, with dual airbags, you can net a 11.5 no problem, with a good tune, and everything else in a state of good repair. From the parts you listed, there's nothing physically holding you back from a much quicker time. Something else is amiss."

A 13 sec driver in an 11 sec ride???:eek::D:p

If I were you, and could afford it, I'd get new heads and a cam, along with a front mount. I don't know if a roller cam is necessary but it is nice.

BUT... with the limited time you might have, a front mount of some kind makes sense. You don't need a huge one to make a difference.

When it comes down to it, what is going to matter most is the way the race happens. You are NOT going to pull much if at all on the Vette on the freeway at higher speeds. You need to race from a roll (best), 30mph, or from a dead stop. He'll want to convince you to race at higher speeds where he is fastest. Don't fall for that crap. That is not drag racing.

My buddy in his '08 Vette wanted to race from a 100mph because he said I was pulling less at that speed!

Switching to 28" tires will net you an 11 second timeslip with no other changes.

Without ported heads/cam, the 26" tires will limit your mph, which will limit your ET.

That made perfect since to me until someone awhile back said that going to 28 inch tires will kill my 60 ft times and slow me down. He also said that I need to trap at least 120 mph before going to the 28s. Very confusing….

If I were you, and could afford it, I'd get new heads and a cam, along with a front mount. I don't know if a roller cam is necessary but it is nice.

BUT... with the limited time you might have, a front mount of some kind makes sense. You don't need a huge one to make a difference.

When it comes down to it, what is going to matter most is the way the race happens. You are NOT going to pull much if at all on the Vette on the freeway at higher speeds. You need to race from a roll (best), 30mph, or from a dead stop. He'll want to convince you to race at higher speeds where he is fastest. Don't fall for that crap. That is not drag racing.

My buddy in his '08 Vette wanted to race from a 100mph because he said I was pulling less at that speed!

I won’t have to worry so much about racing on the street this time. We are all headed to the 1/4 mile track in San Antonio. The guy that has the vette also has the challenge r/t which has been a snack for the GN. That is why he bought the Vette, and he is looking to take bragging rights away from me. (He is my Boss) LOL…..The Gt-500 does not pose a threat at this time I think but the owner is shopping the aftermarket for parts and he has to learn how to drive it yet….No slicks on that one yet. I am not sure how the front mount would go over in the heat down here…the car likes to creep up to 185 now with out one.