You can type here any text you want

My first negative response...

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Freddie's Buick

Hell No! I'm not a junior
Well.....after 4 weeks of success....something is wierd. :eek:

By accident I put 89 octane gas in my freshly rebuilt engine. To compensate for my stupidity I put in a super concentrated octane booster. :rolleyes: I put in Prestone's '0 to 60 Booster'.

They advertise an octane increase of 10 points. Dumb ass me only filled my tank halfway and put in the whole 16 oz bottle.

In addition, prior to this I brought up the timing 2-notches, (from OEM 15 to 18 degrees). Now when ever I throttle-up some she knocks and sounds like a rattlesnake. :eek:

I thought these things could handle extra juice? Maybe you racers out there can give me some tips?:confused: (Other than wait it out until the power juice is exhausted and stick to 93 octane). Any ideas guys? :)

Just add some Xylene, which is 117 octane. Add an ounce or two of Marvel Mystery oil for each gallon as a lubricant. Unlike leaded race fuel, it does not contain any lead that fouls out the O2 sensor. The octane boosters usually won't raise the octane any.

Two gallon of Xylene on the 89 tank would give you at least 92 octane. You can buy the Xylene in a paint store like Sherman Williams. Costs around 6 to 8 dollars a gallon. Or just turn the boost down until this tank is used. I'm not sure I would run too much boost on a fresh engine, I'm sure there are break in guidelines.

Originally posted by Freddie's Buick
I put in a super concentrated octane booster. :rolleyes: I put in Prestone's '0 to 60 Booster'.

They advertise an octane increase of 10 points. Dumb ass me only filled my tank halfway and put in the whole 16 oz bottle.

. Any ideas guys? :)

LOL ... here's the 10 point increase... octane is 87.60 add in octane booster 87.70....see tens points higher :rolleyes:
turn timing down and add the Xylene.
Jim

Thanks Guys!

Xylene cost too much! :eek: I'll just wait it out for now.

Once I refill with 93 I just might put some Xylene in for the hell of it and go hunting for Mustangs....... :D

Or use 2 gals of race gas..cheaper than Xylene. You can get 1.5 more for your buck.. I have not tried either yet myself... I was hopeing on getting a SMC alky kit, but the repairs are going to be higher than I first thought.

Back