My restoration progress begins...

Yes I know you were and thank you. SO get the frame/body blasted then do the rest myself you are saying? THanks

Anyone wanna lend me about 10,000 to get me started a little??!?!:biggrin: hahha j/k but this weekend im buying a lift, so that should help me out a big chunk:cool:

I've actually thought about making a begging site and see if I can get some cash up to do mine. I figure since there are so many people doing it I might try and maybe raise some money that way. lol

Lol I wish that could actualy happen, but then real life smacks me in the face haha:wink: But just all your guys knowlege on here is just as good if not better. you guys tell me everything I need to know and I know to always come here first about my car before anyone else. I really apprecaite it and I know for a fact I will be asking plenty of more questions by the end of this week, along with the brake pictures I did two weeks ago!! Thanks :biggrin:

Ok so here is the deal, Im deffinately getting a lift this weekend so I am deffinately going to do a complete frame off resto. I mean everything. I want to try and get the body off the frame within the next couple of weeks since I can only work on the car on sundays and sometimes saturdays. Now my next step to tearing everything apart is the dashboard:(. Now I do not want to hurt this at all so does anyone know how to remove the dashboard without hurting it at all? Please give any advice or comments/suggestions and pictures if possible. Thanks guys:)

I've actually thought about making a begging site and see if I can get some cash up to do mine. I figure since there are so many people doing it I might try and maybe raise some money that way. lol

So on my local car site I've seen 19 and 20 something actually do that. Guess I come from a different time

Thanks, Im going to attempt sunday or monday. Been extra busy lately and running into some problems so I hope the dash will come out easy, I will take pics too. Any more info on this or comments.suggestions please let me know. Thanks:biggrin:

Por15

I know in the pictures, the rust looks alot worse than it actually is. What else can I use to grind down the rust and also what do you guys use to repaint the floor pans, etc.. after you get the rust gone. I have heard of POR 15 but was wondering where you get that and if its even good. Let me know guys, thanks

Preparing your floor for POR15 isn't too bad...first thing is to wire brush all the rust...use a wet/dry vacuum on dry to vacuum the rust. Then put some POR15 degreaser/cleaner on all rust areas.(I used a small spray bottle to apply it) Do the underside also where there are holes. After, use the wet setting of the vacuum and vacuum up the cleaner. Then apply the POR15 preprimer (also from a small spray bottle) After it sits, vacuum up the rest. Then apply your POR15 on your floorboards with a brush .Put a small amount of POR15 in a small cup to dip the brush in. I used silver POR15 as it is thicker and seals small holes. Any small holes you have in the floor you can patch up with Mighty Putty, JB Well, or Liquid Steel. All work well. Just put some tape on the holes from the bottom of the car to keep all the stuff in. After the silver POR15 dried completely, I used Krylon Semi-Gloss black paint to paint over the silver. Came out just great. I'm never ripping up my new carpet to show off the repairs/paint, so it didn't matter if the paint matches the old, but it did. The floor now looks new and no rust. Using the wet vac was a plus as it was a fast way to soak up the cleaner and primer without rinsing it out as I only had the seats, console, backseat, seatbelts, etc. out. The rest stayed in so I didn't have to worry about getting anything on the other components. (and my '87 Grand National is still up on jackstands. Still lots to do, and can't drive it.:frown:

Bruce '87 Grand National

Yea I am the same way, I just wish I had the money to finish this but I know I will eventually (hopefuly soon) but I know for a fact I will never lose interest in this car so It will get done, I love these cars!:cool: MY floors arent too bad, but since I want to do a frame-off anyway, I am just going to send both the frame and the body to get blasted, sealed and primed/painted except the body of course. Anyone know a good guy who will do that for me?? I need frame and body of course dismantled already to be blasted, sealed and the frame primed and painted and the body blasted, sealed and primed only. ANy help/info/comments or suggestions, please let me know. Thanks:biggrin:

on the Dash TAKE YOUR TIME and get some one to hold one end while you hold and pull the other end.
good luck and hope to see it at Captree soon.

For some powdercoat pics, check out the link in my sig. If I had to do it all over again, I'd do it the same way.

Beautiful, how did you prep it any special ways? also who did it for you. I heard that powedercoating isnt the way to go, what do you guys think? Your frame looks awesome especially with all the new hardware!!:D I want to go that route but let me know your process. Any comments/suggestions info let me know guys. Thanks;)