My stock turbo died...what to replace it with?

streetknight

DCVING
sorry to beat the dead horse, but my stock turbo is pretty much toast. Figure I might as well upgrade since I have to replace it.

Here's the rest of my build: Stock engine, converter, stock tranny with shift kit, 3" THDP, 009 injectors, adj. reg, walbro 340, hot wire kit, etc.

I (of course) want to go as fast as possible. I'm just not sure how much turbo the stock engine can handle. Considering the stock camshaft only has so much RPM range, so too big a turbo requires more stall speed than the stock cam can handle (correct?)

HELP :confused: :confused:

I'd go with a 49 or 44. The 49 will look just like stock while the 44 has the inlet bell as part of the housing. Both should work good with the stock converter and are capable of 11's with supporting mods.

I should add that I have a stretch IC to put on the car. I also have "access" to a TA60 to put on the car to get me buy until I can buy myself one. I actually had this same turbo and IC on this same car about 9 years ago with an orange stripe 3000 converter and went 11.70's with that combo.

So, I have the turbo and IC, but no converter. Don't mind buying a converter, but don't want to have so much stall that puts the stock cam will be out of it's rpm range, if that makes sense.

The tranny works so good, I hate to remove it. I was told the 6131e BB would work well with the stock converter.

the 6131 bb would work great. if you cant dish out that kind of cash i think the 6131E would work just as well.

I'd go with a 49 or 44. The 49 will look just like stock while the 44 has the inlet bell as part of the housing. Both should work good with the stock converter and are capable of 11's with supporting mods.

X2;)

RE;Agree

On my first gn had a 49. really woke the car up. I would go for bigger injecters and pump. Unless you plan on going bigger inall areas, agin my opion.
I agree on teh 49....Just my Opion...