You can type here any text you want

My trunk is finished!!

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

87gnblackdemon

Don't Be Redikulas!!
This was my first ever attempt at building a trunk setup. I looked at a ton of trunk pictures online and took a few ideas and combined them. This is what I came up with. I'm very surprised at how well it turned out. Took me 3 months, with the way the weather has been here. Really took me about a month, the car sat for 3 months, did alot of it this past week to finish up.
I was going to go with a plexiglass window over the amps at first, but I'm new at this and I took the easier route with making them flush with the floor.

Whatcha think?

http://community.webshots.com/user/87gnblackdemon

new trunk setup album.

nice job

Hey, on a side note...what size rim/tire combo do you run? I like the stance.

You did excellent for your first time out. It turned out very clean! :) Did you utilize all of the space behind the box? What was your box volume for each sub?

Thanks for the compliments.

My rims and tires: Rims are 15x8, tires are 215/65/15's all around. I've got a set of drag radials for the back but waiting for better weather before putting them on.

The box: One of the trunks that really got me wanting to do this was yours AudioWizard. I love how yours looks. But I know you did a few modifications that frankly I knew I'd screw up. So I wasn't able to have the back of the box right up against the back seats. It starts right after the 6x9's, I wanted to keep them in. And like yours I wanted the front of the box to come out flush but that wouldn't work either, so it comes out about 10" or so. And again like yours I wanted to go with plexiglass windows, but I stuck with what I could do at the time. I believe the box is 42.5Lx13Hx12.5D, so interior volume per sub comes close to 1.50ft^3.

Originally posted by 87gnblackdemon
The box: One of the trunks that really got me wanting to do this was yours AudioWizard. I love how yours looks. But I know you did a few modifications that frankly I knew I'd screw up. So I wasn't able to have the back of the box right up against the back seats. It starts right after the 6x9's, I wanted to keep them in. And like yours I wanted the front of the box to come out flush but that wouldn't work either, so it comes out about 10" or so. And again like yours I wanted to go with plexiglass windows, but I stuck with what I could do at the time. I believe the box is 42.5Lx13Hx12.5D, so interior volume per sub comes close to 1.50ft^3.

Thank you very much! :) You could still get the box flush with a different design utilizing the air space over the axle but if you do not use your trunk much then you really do not need to change anything. If you have a good table saw with a fine tooth blade, you can cut plexi-glass quite easy. I used 3/8" plexi in mine for strength since I use my trunk quite often but covered with a thick blanky of course! If you need help with a different cabinet design in the future, just let me know.

Looks great! I was just planning mine out and you gave me a great idea. I want to do a flush floor and i was thinking oh how i would get at the amps after i put them in. You gave me the idea to make a door. I'm still unsure on how to mount the side pannels, i don't wanna drill any extra holes in My 83 Hurst. My box will need to hold 4 8"s up on the shelf. I'll be able to get away with it cause i have about 11 inches till the bottom of my 6 x9's. I'm curious on what you did by the trunk latch (the part of the trunk the faces the front of the car), i can't see from the pics, nor anyone elses.

I went the easy route and bought the buick trunk kit, spare tire side, opposite side and trunk latch part. The guy gave me a deal for just those three parts. I wasn't sure what I was going to do, most people suggested building my own trunk kit. But I wasn't sure what materials to use or how I was gong to go about it. I knew I wanted to keep the spare, but wasn't sure where or how. So I ordered the kit, knowing I'd have to make some mods to it, just to get me started.

Back