My Vacuum brakes went out...

BOOMSTK

Meet my BOOMSTICK
Hi all,

i've been hitting the search engine for about three days and haven't come across a similiar problem yet, so thought i would post this.

In early July i purchased my 87" Regal T-Type. I have been using it as an everyday driver. ( One of the best used cars i have ever purchased, i love it)
Anyways the car was converted from the PowerMaster(stock unit) to the Vacuum Booster style by the previous owner.

Last week i noticed the longer that i would sit at a red light, the peddle would slowly get softer, and softer, to the floor with the brake light then coming on, and using 2 feet to keep it on the floor.
That was either wed. or thurs. By sat morning while attempting to manuver out of my garage (very small) I noticed the brake light was on and as i hit the brakes to slow my exit from the garage, i heard and felt a popping noise... no more brakes.

I hope it was the check valve that goes into the vacuum booster,
Would or do the Vacuum booster sections blow out possibly?

To make it worse, not one parts store that i have been to carries the correct diameter check valve, The local Buick dealership got an earfull from me when i told him it had a Booster/Master Cylinder conversion kit, he couldn't understand why i would do such a thing? Lol i told him thats how i got the car and im not the only one with what i had...geez, So now the guys really getting bent up when i asked him if i could bring the part in and maybe he could cross reference it to something. He replies with attitude that there is NO WAY he would order it until i pre-paid for it, AND if it didn't fit, Then he WOULD NOT LET ME RETURN IT! ???
I threw out about 10 choice words and hung up.

LOL What the heck is wrong with people???

awaiting my ride so i can go to a GM dealership and get a simple check valve.

BOOMSTK

Sounds to me like the master cyl. went out...while sitting at a stoplight the fluid was leaking past the internal seals-this is why the pedal got soft, then the seals finally "popped" to use your words and now no brakes!!!

Why not convert back to the Powermaster system so the parts guy can actually find the right parts for your car. $$$

Calling a dealer for a vacuum system that wasn't put on the car from the factory is kinda funny actually.

Shoulda called the junkyard first. ;)

If you are still convinced its the check valve try GM part number 18021981. This fits probally 80-90% of the cars out there. Its used on everything. Next time you need brake parts just tell you have a NA Regal. The brake boosters and M/C are the same from 1982-1987.

Eric Fisher

Slow91z i think you are probably right, thanks for the reply.
Sounds to me like the master cyl. went out...while sitting at a stoplight the fluid was leaking past the internal seals-this is why the pedal got soft, then the seals finally "popped" to use your words and now no brakes!!!

turbofish38 thank you for your reply, i will definately check into that part# first thing in the morning.
If you are still convinced its the check valve try GM part number 18021981. This fits probally 80-90% of the cars out there. Its used on everything. Next time you need brake parts just tell you have a NA Regal. The brake boosters and M/C are the same from 1982-1987.

salvageV6 Thanks for the heads up, I was hoping it to be a little less painless to grab a check valve slap it on then confirm it was something else ;) I like to spend a little before alot
Why not convert back to the Powermaster system so the parts guy can actually find the right parts for your car. Calling a dealer for a vacuum system that wasn't put on the car $$$
from the factory is kinda funny actually. Shoulda called the junkyard first.

thanks for the replys again!

BOOMSTK

Just go to your local salvage yard and grab a check valve off another car. They are very, very common. One major question though: Did you see any fluid anywhere? Maybe near a wheel? It's possible that something like losing the puck in a caliper or rear wheel cylinder also happened. That would probably make a popping sound you could feel with your foot on the brake. Be very careful; whoa is more important than go!

Slow91z - Thanks for the insight, you nailed it right on from the get-go! Enjoy input from people like you that are very insightful...
I am more into rapid forward motion rather than fervid de-acceleration :D

Thanks to all that responded to my dilema, I appreciate the valuable input.

Hope i can help out in the future, will be hanging around...

BOOMSTK-

I guess the master cylinder fixed it?? Glad to be of service, the school of hard knocks really edumicated me, I knew what it was since it's happened to me so often.

I guess the master cylinder fixed it?? Glad to be of service, the school of hard knocks really edumicated me, I knew what it was since it's happened to me so often.

LoL Thanks Slow91z,
edumicated.... I luV that word! i chuckled for a while after reading that. Been away from pc for a few days, sorry not to update as soon as i wanted to.
my part number fix was a Napa #101926

Get this... the MC that came off it was smaller in diameter (sorry for my brake dumbness) where the piston end goes into the booster,?..
I thank markboss for pointing me towards the year to check on
Sounds like a master cylinder........get one for a 85 regal with a non turbo engine....
I am new to the Buick Turbo Experience, and i try to collect relative information to bring to whomever i can get to do what i can't with the car, But Most peopled that i asked for assistance were happy to give me just a shrug of the shoulders like they had been beatin down lol.

Thanks again everyone who helped.
Is there a place for these in Iowa? (reputable workshop)

BOOMSTK-