Mystery of the expensive & crappy detent cable solved

87GNSteve

Just another pretty face....
So I needed a TV cable and wound up purchasing one from a well known vendor:whistle:. $75 + shipping.
Before i installed it I kept reading reports on the forums that the cables were no good and the split end throttle linkage connector would just "pull out" under full throttle. I never installed the one I bought and purchased a custom made unit from another member.
Needing another cable for a different car I looked to Highway Stars which has their highly acclaimed 2nd reproduction cable, but it was not in their online catalog.
So I went into research mode, using the 43.5 inch length of the stock cable I found a cable that measure 43.75 inches it was off earlier various GM vehicles. I paid $13 for Pioneer CA-1970 and it arrived. I opened the box and immediately noticed the split end linkage connector. I went to fetch my $75 model and it was an exact match. The only modification is that the extra length of cable is cut off and a copper colored cable end is crimped on; every other aspect of the cable is the same, and now it makes sense that the vendor never bothered to correct the split linkage connector despite all the complaints; these were just simply modified re-boxed units with a inflated price.
Side by side photos:
000_0017[1].JPG
000_0019[1].JPG
000_0020[1].JPG
000_0021[1].JPG
000_0022[1].JPG
000_0001[1].JPG

most of this type of "special, hard to find, discontinued" parts that are sold for these cars are probably repurposed parts for a different application.. if it works, hey, good for them. they put in the legwork to find something that almost fit and made it fit, then charged a little bit for profit and a bit for the time that they have to have it sitting on their shelf taking up space until someone actually buys it from them.. ultimately, are you going to cry over a $75 part that allows you to actually drive your $20k collector car even if you find out later that you can get it locally for $13 and put a couple of zip ties on the end to take up the extra length?

The Lokar cable for 200 4R is pretty cool. Doesn't drop in by any means, but it's good and solid when you got it installed.

most of this type of "special, hard to find, discontinued" parts that are sold for these cars are probably repurposed parts for a different application.. if it works, hey, good for them. they put in the legwork to find something that almost fit and made it fit, then charged a little bit for profit and a bit for the time that they have to have it sitting on their shelf taking up space until someone actually buys it from them.. ultimately, are you going to cry over a $75 part that allows you to actually drive your $20k collector car even if you find out later that you can get it locally for $13 and put a couple of zip ties on the end to take up the extra length?
Theoretically you could be considered to be correct, but you are not.... the facts are the promotion of the product says it is NOT a cheap aftermarket item but a custom purpose made exact fit cable.
The cable sold has multiple reports of failure namely the linkage connector splitting.
-and not everyone drives a 20K "collector car".

Where did you purchase the longer cable $13?. I have a PTE dogg house and a accufab throttle body and the stock cable will not allow me to go 100% full open throttle.

Keep doing your investigating, and you will be AMAZED what you find.....Thats all I have to say.(y)