N/A Electric cooling fan...

Freddie's Buick

Hell No! I'm not a junior
Yep....:D

Got rid of the fan clutch and put in a FAN-THOM II ELECTRIC FAN RELAY WITH THERMOSTAT PROTECTION KIT 30103. This is not the type were one sticks a probe into the radiator.....that set-up sucks. This one has a sensor, (thermistor), that screws into the intake. Kicks on at 170-180 degrees.

I also installed a 15 amp draw cooling fan. I hate those kits that use nylon bolts that plug thru the radiator so I fabricated my own bolt on kit. I used two aluminum brackets bent to fit, drilled/tapped and bolted to the top and bottom radiator frame. The cooling fan bolts on to the aluminum brackets.

I customized the OEM fan cover so that it would bolt on over the aluminum brackets and fan. I think even if one removes the fan clutch it's a good safety tip to leave the cover on. (One may get tempted to stick a hand in there even when the engine is on since it runs so smooth you can't tell it's on).

Well the differance now is that the engine runs much smoother.
I'll need more time to evaluate if there is any performance gain.:cool:

hi freddie, i was wondering where you got the kit and the fan setup.i'd like to do something like that.and if you got any pics of the installation that would be great.

Originally posted by RCI2990
hi freddie, i was wondering where you got the kit and the fan setup.i'd like to do something like that.and if you got any pics of the installation that would be great.
Hey Freddie
Yes I was wondering about the pics of the install aswell.
jim

Jim, mark...

I just switched DSL's again. Got rid of Earthlink and settled for ComCast Cable Internet. I'm still working on re-installing my website. If I have time I'll see if I can post some pics.

Mark, I'll give some more details later today...I'm on my way to work right now...:D

cool thanks.can you get verizon dsl where you are? the reason i ask is cable internet is usually more expensive and slower than dsl,at least in my area.

Verizon is not available in my area. Cable is just as quick as Earthlink DSL but better.....no psync downtime at peaks. It was an Earthlink tech that off the record told me that cable is better and that is what he had. So bye-bye Earthlink! :rolleyes:

Anyway,

I got the Painless kit from Summit for $59.88. The cooling fan is a 16" 1550 CFM with a 15 amp draw and I got it from the JC Witney catalog for $95.00. I gotta tell you though, the Summit fans are just as good but cheaper pricewise. :D :

Here are a couple of pics that are not too clear but it was getting dark out here.

http://home.comcast.net/~familia.diaz/Fan.JPG

http://home.comcast.net/~familia.diaz/Fan_Cover.JPG

http://home.comcast.net/~familia.diaz/Intake.JPG

http://home.comcast.net/~familia.diaz/Header.JPG

http://home.comcast.net/~familia.diaz/DuelExhaust.JPG

I'll get better pics at a later date.... :cool:

:eek: Oops! I forgot...Cable is cheaper. My DSL bill with Earthlink was $53.00. With cable it's now $42.00 with the first three months for $19.99. I bought my own modem and I installed it myself. (Cost $39.99 after rebates).

All Comcast had to do was run the cable to my computer modem, and that was free! (I love that word....free...just like cheap! :D ).

No contract...and no fees!!! If anyone has a cheaper rate for real fast internet please let the 'king of cheap' know.

Oh yeah...I don't do ISP.....that's slower than my Buick. Might even be slower than Jimbo's 'T'.

heck freddie when i look at your pics it's like looking under the hood of my car except i got the stamped steel valve covers.yeah i heard that earthlink dsl was crappy.i had a cable modem when they first came out in my area and it was 80.00 with the cable tv,and it was 800kbps.with verizon it's only 30.00 and i get t1 speed.

This may or may not actually apply here, but how do I hook up an electric fan from an 86 GN to my N/A 3.8? I know I need a power switch and a sensor relay, but no one seems to know exactly where to find them or how to hook them up. The fan is complete with shroud and has a power relay connected to it, but I don't think I have that part of the wiring harness. I was under the impression that I did (my Haynes rebuild book says it's there...) but I can't seem to find it. Any ideas? My Regal is basically stock with an N/A 3.8. Lots of other options, too, including AC, Power antenna, etc., making the wiring a real mess. The fan is the first of many small impending upgrades... assuming I can get it to work!

All the mechanics I've talked to locally have basically told me to leave them alone or start paying for their advice...

As always, e-mail help is welcome: youduh@yahoo.com

Thanks, alopeks

I don't know about the GN hook-up. But a basic hook-up needs a fan, a fan relay and a temperature sending unit.

The sending unit screws into the intake and tells what temperature the engine coolant has reached.

Where on the intake does the sending unit plug in? And where can I find one? Anyone with an 86-87 GN read this board, or should I post elsewhere?

Thanks, alopeks

When I refered to a 'basic hook-up', I meant after-market. But like I wrote before I don't know about the GN's.

With an aftermarket kit one has to choose which opening to use on the intake. With the N/A's my choice would be were the OEM temperature sending unit is. It's the sensor that lights up that worthless 'Hot' idiot light on the dash.

There are only three openings on the 84' and up N/A intake that one can use. The temperature sending unit, the coolant sensor, and the TVS sensor. :)

Oh yeah,

If I were to use that GN set up I'd forget the OEM wiring and relay. You'd definately got to have some knowledge.

But here's a simple solution: That GN fan has to have two wires, one hot and the other ground. Hook it up to a battery source and see if it works. BE CAREFUL THOUGH!!! It is powerful!

Once you determine which is which, (+ and -), buy the kit I mentioned. It comes with everything you need to make it work. It comes with the a relay, sensor, wiring, instructions, and everything but the fan.

Good Luck!

:cool: