Name some obscure US Produced Car Models made during the 1980s

Dennis, as Evans pointed out, those Camaros were 1le package cars. Firebirds were available as such, too. They came out in 87, but were largely unknown. Many competed in the old Player's Challenge North of the border. By 92, they were common knowledge. Percentage wise, the later cars are fairly easy to find, as plenty were bought as drivers, or stored as collector cars. The concept was a showroom stock ready package from GM to make the F bodies suitable for endurance racing. They are really neat, and are as unique as the Turbo Regals we love. They had larger B car front rotors, PBR calipers, baffled fuel tanks, etc. The package forbid t tops and AC. Also, the B4C package was the heavy duty police package, and featured some of the 1LE stuff, but allowed AC to be ordered, too. Both 1LE and B4C cars are desirable and collectable in the 3rd gen F body world. The showroom stock racing of the 80's was some of the most competitive and entertaining combat amongst the manufacturers since the old Trans Am series of the late 60's.

Dennis, as Evans pointed out, those Camaros were 1le package cars. Firebirds were available as such, too. They came out in 87, but were largely unknown. Many competed in the old Player's Challenge North of the border. By 92, they were common knowledge. Percentage wise, the later cars are fairly easy to find, as plenty were bought as drivers, or stored as collector cars. The concept was a showroom stock ready package from GM to make the F bodies suitable for endurance racing. They are really neat, and are as unique as the Turbo Regals we love. They had larger B car front rotors, PBR calipers, baffled fuel tanks, etc. The package forbid t tops and AC. Also, the B4C package was the heavy duty police package, and featured some of the 1LE stuff, but allowed AC to be ordered, too. Both 1LE and B4C cars are desirable and collectable in the 3rd gen F body world. The showroom stock racing of the 80's was some of the most competitive and entertaining combat amongst the manufacturers since the old Trans Am series of the late 60's.

Appreciate the info....I saw one for sale at GM at Carlisle earlier this year. Car was prestine. Can't say I ever saw a Pontiac version....possible they are scarcer?

Jumping ahead slightly to the 1990s...again by memory F body maybe mid 1990s wasn't there some sort of strike so Pontiac F bodies or Formula models are hard to find?

Seems to me one year their was some sort of strike which cut production....

I know hardtop ones are hard to find...with the 6-speed....

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Ok readers:

Time to name the car specific car model

Time frame falls into the 1980s category

I have carefully scanned all the posts.....and I do not see this model listed.

Name the version of the model I am thinking of.

First correct "hit" will receive a gift via ups.....

Carefully read my wording it is a version of a specific model.

Here are the clues:

It is not a Buick model of any type.

It was made by one of the big 3.

It does nor fall under the definition of obscure, but more under it being extremely rare even when it was new!

good luck

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Dennis, I do not know of a specific shortage of Firebird production in a given year, but it is certainly possible. Perhaps a vendor issue that would have allowed Camaros to be built while Firebirds could not. By 92, all F body cars were built at Van Nuys, and, like the GN being the last car at its plant, so it was with Van Nuys. The plant shut down with the end of 3rd gen F car production. It is ironic that the 4th gen F cars are generally hailed as being leaps ahead of the older 3rd gen models, but sales figures argue otherwise. In fact, the 5th gen hoopla out there now has not been seen in the F car world since the release of the 3rd gen car way back in 1982! Thanks, Rudy.

Ok here`s my try at it 1980 gmc caballero diablo. Never owned one but almost bought one! had a few elcaminos,and one gmc sprint

Dennis, I do not know of a specific shortage of Firebird production in a given year, but it is certainly possible. Perhaps a vendor issue that would have allowed Camaros to be built while Firebirds could not. By 92, all F body cars were built at Van Nuys, and, like the GN being the last car at its plant, so it was with Van Nuys. The plant shut down with the end of 3rd gen F car production. It is ironic that the 4th gen F cars are generally hailed as being leaps ahead of the older 3rd gen models, but sales figures argue otherwise. In fact, the 5th gen hoopla out there now has not been seen in the F car world since the release of the 3rd gen car way back in 1982! Thanks, Rudy.

Maybe 7-8 years we made a 6 speed shifter for the 4th gen F body cars....The consoles between Camaro and Firebird where slightly different. I bought a 1993 Z28 6-speed hardtop to use as a dummy car and for fit.

I naturally assumed the Firebird would have taken the same handle. I found out alittle while later the shifter we designed did not allow much space in the one corner and could possibly pinch someones finger.

I think we added a spacer to the Firebird ones to recenter the stick if I member correctly. (We no longer sell those shifters). I think the Formulas saw less production as most buyers wanted the Trans Ams....with all the options...

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Ok readers:

Here are the clues:

It does nor fall under the definition of obscure, but more under it being extremely rare even when it was new!

good luck

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Cosworth Vega?...or Oldsmobile Firenza?...or maybe a Lincoln Blackwood?

Claude.

Ok readers:

Here are the clues:

good luck

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Hurst Olds G-body?
or
Aero Coupe Grand Prix and Monte Carlo's?

how about the chevy malibu M80's those cars has some nice spoilers front and rear and was the only G-body to ever offer a manual trans

Good guess however still wrong....

Here is another clue....

It is a certain model that within this model not many were produced. Very few combos where offered...

plus re-read soem of the other clues I gave earlier...

denniskirban@yahoo.com

how about the chevy malibu M80's those cars has some nice spoilers front and rear and was the only G-body to ever offer a manual trans

I think you may be wrong on the only G body with manual transmission....look at one of my earlier posts I rmember looking at an Olds Cutlass that had a manual trans....pretty certain it was factory....I could be wrong.

If you are answering the contest question...answer is wrong

Around my area those Malibus are popular for dropping bigger motors in them. especially the year with the single headlites...

denniskirban@yahoo.com

I'll take a stab........Pontiac Fiero Formula. made in 1988 only as it was the last year for the Fiero.

Been asked for more clues....gotta think for a minute as I don't want to give it away.

Member I stated the car is not obscure, but rare.

It was not a flop either.....nor was it a 4 cylinder

tis it for clues I won't be near a computer again til tomorrow nite...\

denniskirban@yahoo.com