Name some obscure US Produced Car Models made during the 1980s

Don't forget the cadillacs with the 2-4-8 option that was recalled.

I worked on an 80's caddy with the 4100 v8, aluminum block with cast iron heads and external head bolts that went clear down the outside of the block to the pan rail. I was like WTF? It had a 200-4r with a d5 converter though.

A buddy of mine just bought an 80's cutlass 2dr with a V6 diesel.

In the 1980s I was in the towing business also the 1970s....those caddies along with the k cars for Chrysler...were my bread and butter as I towed under contract for car dealers.....cars were a winner for me!!

Some of the most un exciting cars were built in the mid 190s thru mid 1980s both in looks and lack of performance.

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Mustang IIs think 1978-81? another car that lacked much interest.

In the 1980s I was in the towing business also the 1970s....those caddies along with the k cars for Chrysler...were my bread and butter as I towed under contract for car dealers.....cars were a winner for me!!

Some of the most un exciting cars were built in the mid 190s thru mid 1980s both in looks and lack of performance.

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Mustang IIs think 1978-81? another car that lacked much interest.

Yeah, and 90% of those K cars towed had a bad Hall Effect Plate (HEP), a 5 minute fix if you keep a spare in the glovebox like I always did:biggrin:

Alan

I had an 86 caravelle. It had the n/a 2.5 with auto. If you manually shifted them and held your foot to the floor until it wouldn't go any faster then shift you could stay up with 2.2 cavaliers. I beat the hell out of that car. It never died, until I sold it and it blew the head gasket a week later:biggrin:

To bring everyone up to speed...no correct answer as of yet thru post 156 for mini contest #2.

1983 Corvette(s) has nothing to do with mini contest #2.

I have reprinted the current mini contest below:

This one is rather easy. Read all the clues carefully lst correct post to match MY answer wins.
I have changed my wording slightly based on what I know was printed on this model.

In most cases every car company prints their sales brochures, literature, etc for the next car model year in advance of the actual car/model. Then if needed they do updates/corrections etc.

During the 1980s time frame this happened on a certain car model. Promotion showed it would be such and such a year and for whatever reason this vehicle I am thinking of was released the following year. Which in turn made any promotion material incorrect.

Give me the exact model I AM thinking of.

The clock is ticking......

denniskirban@yahoo.com

whats the deadline ? lol.

I just watched the Mecum auto auction, there was a 1986 Tojan Sports Coupe,based on the Firebird chassis, looked like some kind of Lambo body kit on a Firebird/Trans Am, made by Pontiac/outsourced to Automotives? I went thrugh all 5 pages here after finding this thread on page 7....

whats the deadline ? lol.

I just watched the Mecum auto auction, there was a 1986 Tojan Sports Coupe,based on the Firebird chassis, looked like some kind of Lambo body kit on a Firebird/Trans Am, made by Pontiac/outsourced to Automotives? I went thrugh all 5 pages here after finding this thread on page 7....

no actual deadline.....however it needs to be accomplished in my lifetime....

denniskirban@yahoo.com

clue: the correct answer is kinda tricky......

So, does the Cadillac Allante qualify? Bodies made in Italy, flown to USA for assembly.
I actually seen two of those last week. They are rare, one was in Napa and looked mint, the other was in town and looked good. It struck me odd to see it without plates and a temp registration in the window. Those usually don't go far from good homes,lol.

I remember seeing a 1981 Chrysler Imperial two door slant back. I actually thought it looked kinda cool.
Her's a stock one and a couple renderings by Kris Horton. Article was in Popular Hot Rodding

Attachments

• Imperial.jpg
    Imperial.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 190
  • Imperial 2.jpg
    Imperial 2.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 187
  • Chrysler_imperial_81.jpg
    Chrysler_imperial_81.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 185
My brother has (had) an AWD Tempo. Said it got around fairly well in Iowa winters. My former workmate has 2 Yugos... loves them, Fiat motors and easy as a go cart to work on, pulls down 30's (mpg) on the road and runs 70mph no problem and stable. I'll take his word on the the last part.

That was probably an SVO tempo,my friend had one too,quite a sleeper.Not much info on them.

To bring everyone up to speed...no correct answer as of yet thru post 156 for mini contest #2.

1983 Corvette(s) has nothing to do with mini contest #2.

I have reprinted the current mini contest below:

This one is rather easy. Read all the clues carefully lst correct post to match MY answer wins.
I have changed my wording slightly based on what I know was printed on this model.

In most cases every car company prints their sales brochures, literature, etc for the next car model year in advance of the actual car/model. Then if needed they do updates/corrections etc.

During the 1980s time frame this happened on a certain car model. Promotion showed it would be such and such a year and for whatever reason this vehicle I am thinking of was released the following year. Which in turn made any promotion material incorrect.

Give me the exact model I AM thinking of.

The clock is ticking......

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Is it....the 1987 Chevy Camaro IROC-Z finally available with the 350 TPI? I believe the 350 TPI option was supposed to come out in 86....but Chevy waited until 87 to produce them.

Also it's rumored that 50 1986 IROCs w/350 TPIs were built for test purposes.

My brother has (had) an AWD Tempo. Said it got around fairly well in Iowa winters. My former workmate has 2 Yugos... loves them, Fiat motors and easy as a go cart to work on, pulls down 30's (mpg) on the road and runs 70mph no problem and stable. I'll take his word on the the last part.

Speaking of Yugos.......

Car actually came out same time as our turbo regals basically 1986....Yugos speedos read over 100 mph and yet our turbo buicks only read to 85 mph.....

I got one from a junk yard years ago as a joke just to have it.....

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Is it....the 1987 Chevy Camaro IROC-Z finally available with the 350 TPI? I believe the 350 TPI option was supposed to come out in 86....but Chevy waited until 87 to produce them.

Also it's rumored that 50 1986 IROCs w/350 TPIs were built for test purposes.

sorry wrong answer the answer lies closer to 1989-90 vintage.

figure I would give an extra clue at this point...

denniskirban@yahoo.com

You said we get 2 guesses right?:)

Was it the 1990 ZR1 Corvette? Initially it was supposed to be introduced for the 89 model year.

BINGO a winner!!!!

send me private email denniskirban@yahoo.com with your address will send you a nice gift....

GM released a large poster and it read 1989......and I believe one of the plastic model companies also initially had the ZR1 as a 1989 model as well. Not sure on that fact.

Speaking of facts and models...initally the Grand National model on the box listed the Grand National as the fastest US production car. Later versions of that same model that tag line was dropped....I am told the reason is it upset the Corvette community. I am not 100% sure of that however.

Will think up another contest later.

denniskirban@yahoo.com