Name Some obscure US Produced Cars Made during the 1970s

Dennis Kirban

Based on the other similar thread which featured obscure US produced cars from the 1980s, lets step back a decade and see what you can think of that was produced during the 1970s.

The 1970s for those of you that may not have been around back then saw the good and bad. The good was in the early7 part of the 1970s Performance cars were still being produced, the bad started in the mid 1970s as emissions, EPA, and insurance took its toll. Also introduced was some of the ugliest bumpers which I think were mandated to take a 3 or 5 mph hit. This started with mostly the 1973 US produced cars.

I will start the ball rolling with one quick example. Chevy came out with the Vega. The only bright spot with the Vega was in my day it was a prime candidate for a V8 engine. Especially the early GT models with the small bumpers.

The obscure Vega model was the Cosworth model. Think all or most were black and gold and had the exotic engine. Today thy are collector items. Think they only saw maybe 2-3 years of production.

So with that in mind, what models can you think of from the 1970s that today are obscure and saw very limited production even when they were new.

denniskirban@yahoo.com

There's been a Cosworth Vega sitting next to a building at a used car dealer in Lincoln NE since I was a Junior in high school. I guess to be honest, it's been a few years since I've looked to see if it's still there. In '96 when I first saw it, he wanted $4k for it, and it was pretty rough. Nebraska winters aren't kind to the best of cars, so I'm sure it's a complete basket case now.

But I digress . . .

I think AMC probably had some of the most obscure cars in the late '70s, probably becasue they themselves were becoming obsure. I saw a decent looking black on black AMC Spirit AMX the other day. Always wanted one of those. Somewhere I have a Hemmings with a short article on the Hurst Jeepster. There might be half a dozen or so of those left.

1977 1/2 (mid year release) Pontiac Can-Am based off the Lemans series. About 1700 produced before the rear spoiler tooling broke at the factory. Pretty nice package!

I remember a 7? Pontiac Grand Am with a 455 and manual shift. I whooped one on Christmas morning the year I got my first GN:biggrin::D

My sister had an AMC Hornet hatchback back in the '70's. I remember her taking me out for ice cream in it when it was almost new and she was worried I'd spill ice cream on those nice plaid seats! :smile:

The cowsworth Vegas were also available in eight other colors other then black in 76. The added colors were Buckskin, Dark Blue Metallic, Firethorn Metallic, Dark Green Metallic, Mahogany Metallic, Medium Orange, Medium Saddle Metallic, and Antique White. Cosworth Vega production ended in July, 1976 with a Medium Saddle Metallic model delivered to a Cleveland, Ohio dealer. They were made 2 years, 75 and 76. Total production was 3508

speaking of oddball 70's cars.. I had a 76 Pinto with a factory 2.8 v6 in it. Fun car

Well, "obscure" surely does not apply to Gremlin and Pacer, but these eyesores were really oddball in my mind.....

77 pontiac can am

and

75 bricklin

Attachments

• 0802phr_01_z+1977_pontiac_can_am+.jpg
    0802phr_01_z+1977_pontiac_can_am+.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 558
  • 75_bricklin_sv1_CC_KM_02.jpg
    75_bricklin_sv1_CC_KM_02.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 560
Olds starfire 2 x 2.... We went to florida to spring break 81 in one of these. had window tint.. N Carolina Smokey did not like Northern plates and held Kangaroo court on side of highway.. I never paid my ticket :) I am a wanted man in NC

Attachments

• 1976-oldsmobile-starfire-pic-4093.jpg
    1976-oldsmobile-starfire-pic-4093.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 592
75 Bricklin was from Australia I thought??? I saw an episode of Car Crazy on Speed Ch a while back with a totally tricked out Brick...it was bad as hell.

:biggrin:

I believe Desoto was being made in the 70's right? Those were not well known.

The cowsworth Vegas were also available in eight other colors other then black in 76. The added colors were Buckskin, Dark Blue Metallic, Firethorn Metallic, Dark Green Metallic, Mahogany Metallic, Medium Orange, Medium Saddle Metallic, and Antique White. Cosworth Vega production ended in July, 1976 with a Medium Saddle Metallic model delivered to a Cleveland, Ohio dealer. They were made 2 years, 75 and 76. Total production was 3508

I've owned two over the years, and loved them both...well sort-of.... Not extremely powerful, but they had a never ending power curve. Just seemed to keep pulling all the way to 9,000rpm with no effort.

But one I owned in CA, and couldn't get it to pass smog. Anything goes wrong with the unusual injector/ecm combo made things tough.

But all in all they were a hoot to drive!!!!! Just really hard to come by in good condition.

1976 Pontiac LeMans "Olympic Edition", sold only in Canada (I think...). It had white paint with red vinyl top, special striping and hood emblem. The interior was finished in red and white. I personnally much prefer this one over the "Can-Am" version with the ugly rear spoiler...:rolleyes:

Claude. :wink: