You can type here any text you want

Nasty Tick from belt tensioner?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Azrial89

When I start the motor and under normal idle speed, I get a slight tick... Less than 2,000 miles on the new cam and using zinc additive with Amsoil Z-Rod oil, so I'm pretty sure it's nothing like that. When I put a flat blade to the belt tensioner it sounds like that's were it's coming from, anybody ever have a tensioner do this? Does it have bearings that go bad? Just looking to see if anybody else have this happen. Thanks!

When I start the motor and under normal idle speed, I get a slight tick... Less than 2,000 miles on the new cam and using zinc additive with Amsoil Z-Rod oil, so I'm pretty sure it's nothing like that. When I put a flat blade to the belt tensioner it sounds like that's were it's coming from, anybody ever have a tensioner do this? Does it have bearings that go bad? Just looking to see if anybody else have this happen. Thanks!

I get a squeak from mine every now and then, especially after it rains or the temps outside drop

What brand and part number belt are you running? The dayco belt listed in most catalogs for tr's is incorrect and best case will cause the noise you describe, and worst case will throw/shred belts and destroy you hood liner and wiring... Ask me how i know hahaha... The belt is too long and places the tensioner outside its operating range. If you search on this site, you'll see its pretty common. I switched to a goodyear belt (dont have the number in front of me) and havent had a problem since

Interesting, I will have to take a look on what belts I have. That most certainly would be a terrible way to find out that they are too loose... I'm sorry for you having to find out the way you did.

Mine sounds just like a rod knock. Been that way for 4 summers now. Only when idle drops way down. If it were a rod for real...it woulda been thru the pan by now.

I placed a new GM tensioner on the motor when installed 2 years ago. It has made the same noise since day one. I have verified that it is only the tensioner with a stethoscope.

That's exactly what it sounds like! Any idea as to why?
They say belt length will help. Im building a new engine and will let my guy install the belt he uses on all his builds. If it is still there...screw it. It only makes the noise when my idle drops down below 900 or so.

That's exactly what it sounds like! Any idea as to why?
Since you seem skeptical, here's a quick way to check: take the belt off and fire it up briefly and see if the noise goes away. If it does, then you are already halfway through changing it! Hahaha .

I just checked the part number for the goodyear belt, 4060635, give it a shot, i think youll be suprised

Went and checked part numbers. Mine are all worn away, plan on changing the belts this weekend. That was my plan to pull off belts and have a listen. Thanks for everybody's input

Mine does it and I tried the Goodyear 4060635. It will help a lot with tensioner noise as well as any other noise coming from an engine accessory. I found it on ebay recently for <$10 shipped. It was definitely worth the investment and the wait. I have since pulled it back off because it doesn't look original, but man was it smoother and quieter than the original belt. The major problem is that mine still made a sound, (not multiple, overlapping but similar sounds like before) with the new belt on. At this point I'm thinking excessive connecting rod side clearance after talking with someone who has rebuilt many of these motors. Apparently a lot of these cars came this way originally and have that "inherent knocking noise" even from new. The sound while not necessarily detrimental to the car is annoying and makes you think you have a serious problem (rod knock, main or cam bearing knock) when you may not. The problem is you don't know until you open it up and take a look which can be expensive and time consuming in and of itself. This could explain why people who have the noise keep driving the car as is and all out without any major issues or serious repairs .

Yes, my tentioner also makes a ticking/clunking sound while idling. No idea what belt it has.

My car had the same issue as everyone described, I replaced the surpentine belt with a Goodyear Gatorback #4060635, it seemed to solve the problem for now.

Well, thanks to all the input from all of you, it looks like the Goodyear belt is the way to go. I just ordered it from summit. Thanks guys, I will let you know if it does anything for my tick

Back