You can type here any text you want

Nasty Tick from belt tensioner?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
Anyone have a video of the noise they are describing? I have the noise you describe but doubt that it is the belt or tensioner. I am thinking wrist pin clearance. Mine only does it once warm.

Anyone have a video of the noise they are describing? I have the noise you describe but doubt that it is the belt or tensioner. I am thinking wrist pin clearance. Mine only does it once warm.
Give the belt mentioned a try, mine did the same as yours, I replaced the belt and so far so good

Warm up the engine until it ticks. Key-off and remove the belt, restart and see if the tick is still there. If so, then not the belt or tensioner.

RemoveBeforeFlight

Are cars come with a 64" belt, When the ticking or noise starts there, there is a piece of Teflon inside that starts to go south if you put a 63" belt on it will give more tent-ion on the Teflon inside and it will stop the noise.hope this will help ,good luck.

My GN had this same sound years ago.Replaced belt,still there.Replaced tensioner,still there.Ended up being bearing in the alternator.Took it to alt.rebuilder, $20.00 new bearing installed,no more knock

I've worked on these cars for years. I have never seen a tensioner failure. Its has always been a belt issue. If you go Dayco go with a 606635 not the 606640.

Well I installed the shorter good year belt and the sound decreased greatly, now I believe the sound is being transferred from the alternator which to my understanding is still the factory one. Probably time to get a new one or rebuild it. Thanks again guys for all the help and info. Greatly appreciated!

if you still hear noise after belt swap, it could be the cam sensor, can check it just like you did the tensioner, flat blade screwdriver, ive seen this a few times on T REGALS, mine was bad once also, good luck

Back