75.3 KB · Views: 126
A blue tow rig for the "BlueCar"... Color coordinated are we?? ;) :tongue:

Just messin' with ya looks nice :cool:

Quick6'n'-K.C. said:
Looks close to mine :wink:
Injectors are very easy to do
Did you get a auto or manual?

BW

Yeah, I need to get a hold of Scott Hovey up at Mass Diesel. I have plans for some mods.... The truck is a auto, once I start making some black smoke it won't be too far down the road it'll need a DTT tranny.

What exhaust do you have on yours?? What injectors did you decide on?

K.

86brick said:
A blue tow rig for the "BlueCar"... Color coordinated are we?? ;) :tongue:

I was looking specifically for the blue or gray... ;) :biggrin: :p

K.

Man----that looks awesome. Glad you finally found something nice. It was a tough search :tongue:

Geoff

Looks very similar to the one I have sitting outside, just mine is an '01 5 speed/long bed...same color/trim though. I'm running the BullyDog Rapid Flow 4" tbe on mine..sounds good w/o being straight-pipe loud. CAI or at least the BHAF will also help a good bit as the factory airbox is not the most efficient in the world. Next mods for mine will be a Vulcan lift pump relocation kit, VSS pump, and injectors. You may want to check out http://www.cumminsforum.com . Lots of diesel heads over there with lots of experience in CTD's.

NCTURBOS said:
Yeah, I need to get a hold of Scott Hovey up at Mass Diesel. I have plans for some mods.... The truck is a auto, once I start making some black smoke it won't be too far down the road it'll need a DTT tranny.

What exhaust do you have on yours?? What injectors did you decide on?

K.

I went with the rip rook 4 inch turbo back setup...

You might wait on the exhaust and buy a turbo that comes with the downpipe and then just make your own exhaust. The auto turbo gets pretty hot once you turn it up, id upgrade it down the road.

I upgraded mine with a superchips D box, its 65horse/175ftlbs?

Then i did the RV275 injectors which were only 235.00 on ebay for all 6 brand new bosch injectors.. Supposedly they are 50horse/100ftlbs

Rip rook exhaust 0horse/0ftlbs
BHAF Big honkin air filter 0horse/0ftlbs

I have 44K on the truck, put the injectors on it 26K ago and still retain the stock clutch. Mine is a H.O. so it has the larger clutch disc.
If i do anything else, its getting a meth kit. I hope its worth 50 horse.

If your truck has more than 50K on it and is running the stock inline lift pump(located underneath the fuel filter cannister) you should repalce it.
When i was doing some research, i think everyone was using a holley blue pump.
I guess the new retro fit Dodge lift pumps are installed in the fuel tank, good luck replacing that one if you are stranded on the freeway with a full tank of fuel :mad: My lift pump is the original one, if and when i replace it, i will NOT be putting it inside the fuel tank.

I bought my truck new may of 02, never been to the stealership.

BW

This is the relocation kit I'm gonna use...moves it down to the frame and away from all that heat/vibration of the stock location. Even comes with bigger lines/banjo bolts, so more fuel to the VP44... :biggrin:

http://www.vulcanperformance.com/servlet/the-12/Vulcan--Pusher-Pump/Detail

The RV injectors are a good base upgrade over the stockers. I need to do mine soon...185K miles on the stockers, so they have gotta be getting a little tired/clogged, even with the good fuel treatment I run.

I've got the Superchips programmer on mine...has 3 modes..tow, tow/performance, and performance. Makes a big difference compared to stock, that's for sure. I also added Autometer boost and pyro gauges to keep an eye on what's going on.

Biggest plus to the BHAF/CAI and exhaust is the EGT drops off a good bit, especially if you run it hard. I also keep the fuel treated with Power Service sliver and Marvels Mystery Oil. One bottle of PS and 12-16 ozs of MMO per fillup. Makes a pretty big difference in power, noise, and fuel economy. I picked up a solid 1 1/2-2 mpg over untreated fuel. Regularly knocking down 21+ mpg on the highway cruising at 70-75 unloaded. Gotta love when the tow pig gets as good of mileage as the Buick... :D

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2002...1QQihZ019QQcategoryZ33617QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

For some reason i couldnt find any RV275s on ebay so far... Here are some stock HO injectors with 10K

You arent going to believe me, but on the way to BG i had 100miles of running in town then filled up in columbia missouri.. Truck got 21mpg :confused:
Temperature was about 64°, so i decided on the next leg i would drive 55-57mph and see what could happen.
We went over 230~240 miles and the truck only sipped less than 9 gallons of fuel, i had to click the fuel filler 3 times to my astonishment.
I asked Joe a buddy who was towing with his chevy if the miles were correct, they were and my truck as i recal got 26MPG :eek:
When we left BG i filled up and drove 80-85MPH on the 576 mile track home, the other guy stopped for fuel, I NEVER FILLED UP!!!! :eek:
The overhead still says i could drive another 50 miles, so i assume it still got 20MPG going that fast.
I think its finally broken in!

Thanks for the link on the relocation kit, i will have to get one made up and relocate my new pump down low like that one.

BW

Don't ya just love the fuel mileage these ol CTD's knock down... :D . I hand figure my mileage every time I stop for fuel, and it's averaging 20-21 in mixed hwy/city driving. Best I have seen was 23, but I was just cruising along at 67 mph, plus had some grades to deal with. I figure on a good day, I could get roughly 700 miles out of a tank w/o being close to empty. My biggest problem is keeping my heavy foot out of the throttle, especially since the Buick has been down for a long time. Gotta get my boost fix somewhere/somehow....lol.

No problem on the relocation kit. I've had to change the lift pump twice on mine and it's a major PITA in the stock location. If nothing else, relocating it to the frame will make for a 10 min swap job when the pump dies. That's the other reason I'm looking at the VSS pump...better flow, more durable than the OEM/stock replacement unit. I will probably use the Vulcan kit and a Holley blue for the time being. Anything is better than the stock unit...lol.

Mine has 91k miles on it. The original owner had a Dodge dealership replace both the VP44 and the L.P. @ 77k miles. At that time they moved the L.P. to the tank, but I'm not sure if they put it in the tank or on the frame rail. I need to get under there and find out.

My current plans are for an AFE filter setup and either an MBRP or Silverline exhaust w/ downpipe. At that point I'll be saving for a DTT tranny and converter. I don't want to put too much power to the stocker before I know I have the $$$$ to replace it with a quality unit.

Down the road modification thoughts are: turbo upgrade, Smarty programmer "stacked", injectors, and probably a FASS setup.

The truck is mostly for play with the occasional tow to a Buick event.

K.

They may have moved the LP to inside the tank....seems to be one of the cures for these trucks. Personally, I would rather have it on the frame so I can change it easily when it dies. You could do the big line kit I posted earlier with an inline unit and just use the intank as a feeder pump. Bet the fuel pressure wouldn't even wiggle at WOT with that setup...lol.

Silverline is a good exhaust...Jeff Garmon (Garmon Diesel Performance in McDonough, GA) uses that on his trucks and most of his customers' trucks. Sounds good, nice and crisp, just w/o the harshness of straight pipe. Good idea on the trans...it doesn't take much to kill the convertor in an automatic truck. Once the trans/convertor is done, let the mods commence and the smoke start rolling.... :D

Slo86GN said:
Once the trans/convertor is done, let the mods commence and the smoke start rolling.... :D

Yeah, I'm putting the TR's back in the corner of the garage again... :rolleyes: Anymore that's where they spend most of their time anyways. I've got a new toy to play with... :biggrin:

K.