Need a Cat to pass inspection

bullet87

Anyone around the killeen area that can lend a Catalytic Converter or sell one. I need to get the Texas Saftey inspection, and they are being anal.

I'll be in the same boat shortly. Mine came from a State that doesn't emission test '87's.

As I understand it by reading the Texas regs, I don't think we will have to emission test our '87's next year. Anybody know for sure?

I made the inspector pull out the book. It says 84 and later models need the convertor for the saftey inspection.
I'll be in the same boat shortly. Mine came from a State that doesn't emission test '87's.

As I understand it by reading the Texas regs, I don't think we will have to emission test our '87's next year. Anybody know for sure?

For Texas:

'85's & older are exempt now
'86's are exempt next year
'87's are exempt in 2012

For Texas:

'85's & older are exempt now
'86's are exempt next year
'87's are exempt in 2012

Carl's right about this. The rule is 24 years or newer for an emission test, but after that all equipment must be on the car whether it functions or not. I used to do inspections btw.

Right, well my temp tags run out today and I don't feel like paying another 25 bucks for another tag.

If I remember right you are only allowed 1 tag and that's it. There's an exemption if you spend x amount on repairs and it doesn't pass but I don't remember what it is. You have to keep all recipts to show that the repair work was done.

That would suck. I wonder what else they r gonna say. Any opinions on what to turn fp down to for better emmissions. I priced a stock replacement cat and its gonna run 130. I have a ss 3" test pipe I could trade.

Carl's right about this. The rule is 24 years or newer for an emission test, but after that all equipment must be on the car whether it functions or not. I used to do inspections btw.

If I remember right you are only allowed 1 tag and that's it. There's an exemption if you spend x amount on repairs and it doesn't pass but I don't remember what it is. You have to keep all recipts to show that the repair work was done.

You could always put some E-85 in it to cut the mix some. It will lower all the measurements some. You could also see if eveilbay has a converter for sale. I got a 3" one for $50 with shipping.

Sounds good. Send me a pic and the address. Where would u get e-85 around here? Hmm I will have to look it up

Sorry but I'm not getting rid of the converter. HEB on I-35 in Waco sells E-85 if you're willing to drive a bit. You should be able to run up to a 50% mix but I wouldn't push it that far myself.

Oh ok. They have one here with a pump. Ill check if it has it.
Sorry but I'm not getting rid of the converter. HEB on I-35 in Waco sells E-85 if you're willing to drive a bit. You should be able to run up to a 50% mix but I wouldn't push it that far myself.

Can you explain that bit to me then? It doesn't seem to make any sense. If my car is emissions exempt, why do I need to leave the cat. on? It makes even less sense to leave it on if it doesn't work.

The way the rules are set up are that any vehicle made after 1968 had some form of emissions on it, no exceptions. Kalifornication started in 1967. Texas goes along with the federal regulations and states in the rules that "any vehicle from 1968 and newer is required to retain all emission equipment. The catalitic conveter is to be considered part of the exhaust if the vehicle is 25 year old or older." That's paraphrasing because I don't remember the exact wording.

I put a cat sheild over my test pipe. Let's see if it will fly. Do they actually hook it up to emissions or just make sure you have all the equipment? I put on new mufflers to get a better sound. It still doesnt sound like the audio file in the store. Maybe they were testing it on a v8. How much difference does headers make to the sound of a buick?

if ur car is less than 25yrs.
u hv 2 test n tx