Need a new radiator-recommendations?

GNSteve

EFI Unlimited #4
Howzit all,

Title pretty much says everything. Wrote to Nick Micale, and he quoted me a price of $240 plus shipping. I've heard he's the man for cooling.
Anyone here ever try a radiator from him? Any good local places for radiators? I'd prefer a new unit over a recore. I had a Griffin radiator in my Mustang and was really happy with that. I e-mailed them about a Buick unit, but I'm still waiting for a response.
I'm leaning towards getting the unit from Nick, but I know the shipping is gonna kill me. If someone around here is selling good stuff, I'd rather go that route. Any suggestions?
BTW, hope everyone had a good New Years!

Steve

Steve,

Performance Radiator has a 3 row unit listed for a 1987 Regal with EOC (engine oil cooler). The stock number to ask for is 269. The price is a little steep at ~ 350. This is a direct quote from them. If you know someone with connections to an auto parts place they may be able to get you a better deal.

This is a special order item and not in stock, however.

Contact Performance Radiator at:

http://www.performanceradiator.com/locations/honolulu/honolulu.htm

K. Ifuku Radiator shop can replace your 3 row core for 165 or put in a 4 row core for 225. The only parts that are reused are the end tanks and oil coolers. Or, you can buy a Monte SS radiator and have the pass. side end tank swapped.

Aloha,

Thanks, Tom. Would you happen to know offhand if Ifuku has complete units for sale that don't require your original radiator?
Anyone else care to contribute? TIA!:D

Steve

Contribute? Steve, I have a few G-body ones for cores if you need. let me know-Rob

Thanks Rob. If I decide to go that route, I'll keep you in mind. Thanks for the generous offer:D

Steve

Originally posted by GNSteve
Thanks, Tom. Would you happen to know offhand if Ifuku has complete units for sale that don't require your original radiator?

K Ifuku does not stock a rad for our cars. They can either recore yours or $pecial order one for you.

Personally, I don't like having either the trans cooler or the oil cooler in the rad. If I ever keep one of these cars long enough to need a replacement rad, I'll pick up a Monte SS rad without the trans cooler and run external coolers for oil and trans. JMO.

Aloha,

What size is the upper hose on the radiator side on the 86-87 cars? as I recall, there were two differrent sizes and the V-8 cars usually use the larger hose, unless you use one for an F-body, as the aluminum will disperse heat faster, and the dimentions are correct. Just my .02

-Rob

So, let me get this straight...

Tom and Rob,

If I'm following you guys correctly,:D are you saying that either a Monte SS or F-body radiator will fit in a TR?
I understand that you'll lose the internal oil cooler if you run these units. Not a problem. I run external units anyway. I do have a few questions to ask, though.
What year Monte? 84-87? Are the inlet/outlets the same? Same size/dimensions as stock? Fan bolt up OK?
What year F-body? Third-gen? Same other ?'s as above.
I'd be willing to invest in one of these *if* they fit. $$$ is a little tight right now after my timing chain/valvespring adventure.:D
Thanks for all your help. It's appreciated!

Steve

Steve If you need one I could get it for you at Checker's, for got what brand it was but I got one for my 84 (non-turbo), it new and cheap, and its a exact replacement.

Re: So, let me get this straight...

Originally posted by GNSteve
Are you saying that either a Monte SS or F-body radiator will fit in a TR? What year Monte? 84-87? Are the inlet/outlets the same? Same size/dimensions as stock? Fan bolt up OK?
What year F-body?

There are only two different dimension radiators used in ~83 to 88 G-bodies. All V-6 models except mid-85 to 87 TRs used a core that was about five inches shorter in width. All V-8 models and mid-85 to 87 TRs used the wider core. The end tanks are all identical with the same location inlet and outlet. Will have to check on the upper neck diameter later, but I know the lowers are the same. If you really want a heavy duty rad, get one for a Cutlass with the diesel engine. I think they're four rows.

Depending on which which engine you had, the shroud/upper mounting bracket is different. All Olds 307 V-8 used the same upper mounting bracket as the 86 to 87 TRs, except for the two additional tabs on the TR for the fan mount. The fan does not come in contact with the radiator anywhere, so it does not matter if you switch rads.

Can't tell you about the F-bodies as I haven't tried this yet and Hollander doesn't list it as an interchange. But knowing GM, they probably used the same dimensions on those rads too.

Checker auto has the Monte SS (3 row) rad for about $120 or so. Less, if you know someone with an account there. They can also get the "Be Cool" aluminum radiators, but they're really expensive. I'm thinking about a Griffin aluminum rad later on.

Aloha,

Steve if you want to try an F-car rad ( 3rd gen, with FI ) for mock-up, I have one here. let me know. Tom, as for the deisels they use the larger inlet on the top if I recall correctly, there are reblacement rads with a step-down neck, allowing use of either hose and permitting greater application coverage. Oh yeah one more four core out of 68-82 vettes, anly problem with the four core, the top cover will need to be modified as will the lower hose inlet as it is curved. G-body 82-87 A-body 78-81 same chassis, different wheelstuds and front spindles

3rd Gen Camaro/Firebird does fit for sure... one of the monte guys at the meeting sumday was using one he said it actually ran cooler with the aluminum radiator (better heat transfer) even though it only has one really wide core instead of three small ones. But if you want to try just to satisfy yourself, I still have the one I mentioned-Rob

Who sells a Radiator without the internal oil/tranny coolers? I'm looking into replacing mines as well and going with separate oil and tranny coolers. there's a small leak in my rad from strapping on my elec fans :(

Chris,

Only the 86-87 TR rads come with the oil cooler built in. A rad for a stickshift car will not have the trans oil cooler, but due to the rarity of manual trans G-bodies, are sometimes not in stock.

As Rob said, the 3rd gen Camaro/Firebird rads will fit in the stock location. (Unless you have an early 85 TR which came with the postage stamp sized radiator.) :D Manual trans F-bodies are much more common. Of course, the factory aluminum/plastic rads are a little more pricey than the copper/brass type.

Aloha,

Thanks Tom,

CRAP!!! I'm still broke!!! Maybe when I get my tax returns:rolleyes:

Chris, I have a good radiator from a n/a regal that you can have. Whats the approx. measurements of yours? Let me know.

Well, I decided to go the recore route. I pulled the radiator out of my car yesterday, and I'm dropping it off at Ifuku's after work today. They quoted me $165+tax over the phone for the recore. I'm going to ask if there's anything else they can do to make the radiator a little more *efficient*. I'll keep you guys posted on the quality of their work.

Steve

Problem solved

Took a trip down to Ifuku's yesterday to get my old radiator recored. The guy down there (Charlie) said recoring would not be a problem. He knew my radiator was from a GN right of the bat. He said only TR's and Caddys came with radiators like that.
Anyhow, he goes on to say that a Monte rad will fit, and it come with one cooler. For some odd reason, my GN's original rad had one set of cooler ports blocked off. I don't know why, as I'm not the original owner.
So, Charlie brings out the new radiator and compares it to mine. Dimensionally, they're identical. I picked up this new unit for $128, versus $165 for the recore. Also, they give all units a one year warranty.
I hooked up everything yesterday in about a half-hour. Everything fit as promised, and the driveway "test-run" went well. All is good.:D Just thought I'd share.

Steve

Postage stamp sized?

Tom,

You mean like the N/A v-6 cars? recalling back to my first T, an '84, I could almost swear that it had the same sized Radiator as my current T, (but I did say almost, and I am getting OLD, so<alzheimers?>I could be mistaken) :confused: :( :eek:

-Rob