You can type here any text you want

Need an Education

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

87we410877

Can someone please educate me on the differences in stage two heads VS Champion or TA heads that will fit a stock style block or an off center stage two. What are the advantages? Flow capabilities? Availability? Price.

I saw for sale a bare set of GM Stage two heads. I have an off center stage II and am shopping for heads. Just not sure what i should be looking for. I see alot of stage II heads for sale in the stage II for sale section.

Right now im leaning for TA heads and having them ported, and upgrade the valve trane. Thanks in advance!

Aluminum stage 2 heads wont work on a 3.8 bore. The stage 2 heads do flow more, and are cheap, but you need headers made, intake converted, modded heater box.
Fully ported Champion GN1's with a ported stock intake will flow enough to support 1000+hp. Also, stage 2 heads are a pain to change spark plugs.

Aluminum stage 2 heads wont work on a 3.8 bore. The stage 2 heads do flow more, and are cheap, but you need headers made, intake converted, modded heater box.
Fully ported Champion GN1's with a ported stock intake will flow enough to support 1000+hp. Also, stage 2 heads are a pain to change spark plugs.
Are you sure they won't fit on a 3.8 bore? If they use 2.02 /1.6 vavles as cast they will....FYI I dont suggest stage II heads on a 3.8 motor..as you will have NO TORQUE under 5000 RPM. Spark plugs with no a/c are not bad with a/c a plug change can be up to 3 hours...

Are you sure they won't fit on a 3.8 bore? If they use 2.02 /1.6 vavles as cast they will....FYI I dont suggest stage II heads on a 3.8 motor..as you will have NO TORQUE under 5000 RPM. Spark plugs with no a/c are not bad with a/c a plug change can be up to 3 hours...
If they have 2.02/1.60. I don't know how many have those small valves. The set I have in my basement have 2.12/1.60.

From the factory they are 2.02/1.6, find the power source book. Anyway the point is, the S2 heads were designed for high rpm killer power, at the expense of low end..my stall still seems too tight @6400 rpm on the brake and its a 21 blade PTC.. and the engine is just starting to come alive .FYI

Well that answers my question. Not looking to reinvent the wheel. TA heads ported it is. Thanks a lot guys. I appreciate it.

IMO,if your looking for killer light to light street performance than stick with the stock style heads. Stage 2 heads are nice but have there low RPM drawbacks.
Allan G.

RPM is the word..............

Last edited:
Stage 2 heads will physically bolt onto the 109 block. The 3.8 bore will severely shroud the valves.

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

Back