You can type here any text you want

Need boost help....

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
It is proven thou if secondaries dont open, no boost at all.The quadrajet is funny like that thou, the top butterflies will open when u dump it,but bottom butterflies will not open all the way, weird shi t. Is this a hybrid? if so cut some black sheathing of the throttle cable to get the cable to pull more.

Most Q-jets are flawed that way. I've seen several and most fail to open the secondaries. You gotta study the design. The fixes are of medium difficulty and must be done right, (no room for errors).

Since it's a mechanical aparatus thats dependant on several other actions before they open, chances are that one of the other actions will fail and you'll get no secondary operation.

1) WOT
2) Load/'0' Hg
3) Choke pull-off releases secondary linkage
4) Upper secondary butterflies open
5) POE tubes discharge fuel
6) Warp drive....hold on to your underwear! :biggrin:

So you see, they all have to work in sync before the secondaries kick in.
I use a simple test were I pull back on the rear throttle linkage on the drivers's side of the Q-jet rather than the primary throttle linkage.

The howl scares the bejeezes out of me, (feels like the engine is going to fly off of the motor mounts). You can see the secondaries pop open and the fuel mist out of the rear discharge holes. Release the throttle and the secondary butterflies snaps shut.

If you pass this test, all of the other actions are working well and your Q-jet is up to par. :)

There's a slightly easier way to do it Freddie. Goose the throttle three times in a row. Slightly on the first two and go WOT on the third. The secondaries should open at this point and the top butterflies will open enough to see some fuel come out.

There's a slightly easier way to do it Freddie. Goose the throttle three times in a row. Slightly on the first two and go WOT on the third....

Nope....my way or the highway! :biggrin: LOL!!

Heck no goosing needed here. One shot your good to GO! :eek:

Attachments

• Kickthrottlebuttjpg.jpg
    Kickthrottlebuttjpg.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 102
I didn't get a chance to read the enitre threads, so maybe this has already been said...

I looks like you WG is open in the pictures. Even with a blown WG diaphragm, it shoud be closed. Try shortening the rod at least 3/4". Or take it off and use something to hold the WG closed for testing. (I use a ~6" turnbuckle). Just ease into the throttle and you won't overboost.

You should be able to get 6 psi of boost without opening the carb's secondaries. Both my cars started out like that. Remember that some 1978 Turbo V6's came as 2bbls.

Back