Need help deciding on a converter

SlyPSI

My transmission is slipping and has to come out soon for a rebuild and I've been thinking I'd go ahead and put a smaller, higher stall torque converter in while I'm at it. Right now the combo is pretty stock, just fuel/intake/exhaust mods, E-85 and about 20 lbs. of boost. Stock engine/turbo/IC/TC.

That being said, this car sees about 1,500-2,000 miles a year and will probably only see the track every now and then. I still plan to go elevens though. ;) I'm trying to figure out a good converter for the combo, I would like to go with a 9.5", and I've been looking at the PTC 9.5", but I'm undecided if I want to lose the lockup. I've also been considering a 9x11 converter.

I would like to hear some opinions from those running the non lock converters on how they react and feel at part throttle street driving. I would also like some opinions on what would be an appropriate stall speed for the combo listed above, as I really have no plans to change the parts combo.

Any help is appreciated. :cool:

There's a post of someone selling a Vigilante converter. I like mine but if you plan to stay with a stock converter, I would try to get a 2800-3K stall at most.

I have a Vig 3200 stall using a TA49 and the combo is a lot of fun on the street. However, if you race much, the combo will overcome the street tires. I like the combo for the track.

By the way, my engine is unopened except for springs and timing chain replacement.

Dannyo

If you plan on keeping it mostly stock with maybe a turbo upgrade later, I would go with a mid level priced 10" from PTC or Pats etc.... At that level there is no need to go with a NL as you won't see the benefits. Go with a 2800 10" and you will be happy.

Contact Dusty (PTC) directly, he will provide you with the best converter. You will get a lot of opinions on converter stall, but only one matters. :cool:

Thanks for the replies.

It might be worth adding that my street tires are M/T 275/60/15 drag radials. :biggrin:

For a stock cam, stock turbo car a tight 10" converter will work the best. Something in the 2400-2600 range will spool very easily and still feel very nice in a daily driver. The 9.5 non lock would work but is overkill for a stock combo unless you plan to upgrade turbo's.

converter

i have a 10 inch lock up converter Dusty made ,2800 stall.Works great light to light and cruise as well as runs 11`s on a stock tranny @117.
Listen to what Dusty suggests as he really knows this stuff.

For a stock cam, stock turbo car a tight 10" converter will work the best. Something in the 2400-2600 range will spool very easily and still feel very nice in a daily driver. The 9.5 non lock would work but is overkill for a stock combo unless you plan to upgrade turbo's.

+1.

If you go too high, on a stock turbo, you will DESTROY tires. Ask me how I know. It would be the same as if you were driving on a skating rink. Your turbo, if outfitted with the proper breathing mods to help her spool, you wont need rpms on the stall converter. The turbo's small enough to do what it has to do on it's own, out of the hole. For you, I'd be worried about top end, so you don't lose any hp up top. You'd even do fine with a 12 inch too. Remember, you're on the street. It's slippery enough, especially with no VHT. if you spool too fast, everything in your car becomes worthless now. You won't hook, and pontiac G6's will beat your ass senseless.

There are two distinct types of people on this board. Race track guys, and street guys. They require TOTALLY DIFFERENT setups, to be successful in their chosen arenas. What works on a track, will net you nothing on a concrete street. To set a car up, to make a few passes, then go back on the trailer, is different than a car that has to contend with heat soak, DOT tire regulations, fuel economy, and slippery concrete. Keep that in mind, when you hear people talk about "this so and so netted me an extra 6 mph at the track." or "this helped my 60' go from 1.7, to 1.4", those mods may not help you. :) I hope that sets you in the right direction.

Thanks for the help everyone. :cool:

This car is really more of a evenings and weekend toy than anything else, but I'm really looking for a converter that is optimal for performance. My ET goals are to run mid 7's in the eighth, which should put it in the elevens in the quarter.

What I had in mind when I made this post was a 9.5" or 10" 2600 stall. So I'm glad to see that a 2400-2600 10" would probably be ideal because I kinda felt like a 2800 might be a little too much for top end performance. However, I could be completely wrong. That's why I'm asking here. ;)

As it sits, since I did the E-85 conversion and the manual boost controller the car doesn't really hook all that well. It will spin from when the boost comes in through probably half of 2nd gear on the 235/60's that are currently on the car. I haven't mounted the drag radials just yet (going to install those soon with the new wheels.)

Right now I have no plans for a turbo upgrade. I would rather get a converter that is optimal for this combo than I had to get one that is too big. I'll either have it re-stalled or replace it later on should I decide to go with a bigger turbo.

Dusty, do you offer a 10" lockup?

Thanks again for all the help. :cool:

This car is really more of a evenings and weekend toy than anything else, but I'm really looking for a converter that is optimal for performance. My ET goals are to run mid 7's in the eighth, which should put it in the elevens in the quarter.

What I had in mind when I made this post was a 9.5" or 10" 2600 stall. So I'm glad to see that a 2400-2600 10" would probably be ideal because I kinda felt like a 2800 might be a little too much for top end performance. However, I could be completely wrong. That's why I'm asking here. ;)

As it sits, since I did the E-85 conversion and the manual boost controller the car doesn't really hook all that well. It will spin from when the boost comes in through probably half of 2nd gear on the 235/60's that are currently on the car. I haven't mounted the drag radials just yet (going to install those soon with the new wheels.)

Right now I have no plans for a turbo upgrade. I would rather get a converter that is optimal for this combo than I had to get one that is too big. I'll either have it re-stalled or replace it later on should I decide to go with a bigger turbo.

Yes. I can build a tight 10" lock-up that will work.

You will want a good tire like a 28x10 slick or a 275x60 M/T ET Street for track use. For mid 7's with the stock turbo your going to need traction and 60 foot in the high 1.50's.

I'll send you a PM with the info i need.

How is a higher stall going to help with this problem??

How is a higher stall going to help with this problem??

275/60/15 Sticky Mickeys, a few suspension mods, and a well prepped track should help fix the problem. ;)

I'm not trying to make it hook in the street on 235/60/15 all season tires. I'm trying to put a quick street/strip car together. :cool: