need help: door window

griffgoody

I but some new rubber around my doors and T-tops. Seals a little better, but my door windows are real loose. The guy that was working on door said that I needed all new guts (parts inside door) checked with one vendor and he stated that I needed a window reg kit. And a window door motor and a anti rattle kit. a total of $480.00. And thats per side. Getting ready to get trans rebuilt. Does anyone know where or how I can get new or used parts for less than that. I have a 86 T-top GN. Tks John

Door parts, like everything else, get worn out. You could spend less on used parts but the end result might be the same or even worse then what you have now. I'm not saying you couldn't find new parts for less than $480 but l wouldn't waste a dime on used stuff.

Door parts, like everything else, get worn out. You could spend less on used parts but the end result might be the same or even worse then what you have now. I'm not saying you couldn't find new parts for less than $480 but l wouldn't waste a dime on used stuff.
True. I was thinking tha same thing about tha used parts unless they have very low miles on them. Prob just get tha trans rebuilt and deal with that later. Tks.

I would go with an anti rattle kit first. Did you get the out side belt moldings or dew sweeps? As far as the window regulator we are building an anti rattle kit right now with new rollers for the regulators.
A lot of this depends upon the seals you went with also. Are the door hinges in good shape? Your blow out clip in good condition?
Please tell me it wasn't one of my guys that told you you needed $480 worth of parts.
Yes it was I just spoke to Michael. LOL He said you were asking for all of these & I don't think you need all of this.
John e-mail me your # & I will walk you thru this. I think you may be buying more parts then you need. You need to check the basics first.
252 825 3293 if you would like to call.

I but some new rubber around my doors and T-tops. Seals a little better, but my door windows are real loose. The guy that was working on door said that I needed all new guts (parts inside door) checked with one vendor and he stated that I needed a window reg kit. And a window door motor and a anti rattle kit. a total of $480.00. And thats per side. Getting ready to get trans rebuilt. Does anyone know where or how I can get new or used parts for less than that. I have a 86 T-top GN. Tks John

John,
What I quoted you for was for worst Case. It was everything that you may need to replace. Also there was a core charge involved in that price as well. If you would like to call back the owner or myself would be glad to break down the prices for you, and also see exactly what you need to replace.

I would go with an anti rattle kit first. Did you get the out side belt moldings or dew sweeps? As far as the window regulator we are building an anti rattle kit right now with new rollers for the regulators.
A lot of this depends upon the seals you went with also. Are the door hinges in good shape? Your blow out clip in good condition?
Please tell me it wasn't one of my guys that told you you needed $480 worth of parts.
Yes it was I just spoke to Michael. LOL He said you were asking for all of these & I don't think you need all of this.
John e-mail me your # & I will walk you thru this. I think you may be buying more parts then you need. You need to check the basics first.
252 825 3293 if you would like to call.
Haha. Small World. I will call sometime 2morrow guys. Wasn't complaining about price. Ever since I've focused on getting my GN back on the road. Its starting to be a $$ pit. New rubber, meth inj kit, chip. Then Trans goes. But kinda fig this with 197k on tha clock. But didn't want it to happen all at once haha. lol. Tks guys. Will call.

Haha. Small World. I will call sometime 2morrow guys. Wasn't complaining about price. Ever since I've focused on getting my GN back on the road. Its starting to be a $$ pit. New rubber, meth inj kit, chip. Then Trans goes. But kinda fig this with 197k on tha clock. But didn't want it to happen all at once haha. lol. Tks guys. Will call.
money pit?? these things are almost as bad as a boat!!!:eek:

I just began to change my internals in my doors last weekend. I have only finished the driver door, but I brought a window regulator (motor) set (2 motors) for like $45-$50. I also purchased 2 door actuators for $26 each. I purchased these from a1 auto.

Then, I used the multiple adjustment bolts on the door (there are like 6-8 different adjustment locations) to adjust and align the window correctly. I also have new belt moldings, inner and outer door rubbers too. I would say by me doing all the work myself, probably spent around $450 for ALL rubber moldings for the entire car, motors, and actuators.

I rebuilt my doors a few years ago. The glass and tracks need to come out and all the old hardened grease and grime needs to be cleaned out. Do one side at a time so you can see how it goes back together. New dew sweeps, I recovered the fabric covered guides with some low pile black nylon carpet. Dorman makes the nylon rollers, for non power windows that will work for power window cars you just need to pry the roller off the little shaft they come on and install it on the GN parts. New window motors.
I used SuperLube to lubricate the tracks it has great properties:
Super Lube:Multi purpose lubricant w/Syncolon (PTFE) Prevents rust & corrosion while reducing friction Repels dirt, dust, grit and grime Dielectric Impervious to salt water USDA authorized, rated H-1 Temperature range -45F to +450
The windowsgo up and down better than they were when they were new.