NEED HELP FAST? Cam Grinding Into Block

twstdv6

Motor is at machine shop, shop called and said! looked like cam had been grinding into block when fully pushed in, and spring attached. They want to grind down area where cam inserts and order kit (washer,bearing,washer) to level with block. Is this correct or is this normal wear? What is the proper fix? or new block? What should I do, before they mess something up.

No! I just purchased it (87 GN). Was suppose to be a stock rebuild with 45K. I was power brakeing it for a burn out, barely even got on it. The tranny started smoking and went out. Was reving it alittle to get it home, noticed motor was knocking when you press the gas, so I pulled them both. really a bum deal. My 87 turbo T has been ran 3-5 times a hard as this one and hasn't even thought about coming apart. Somebody must has done a Shi**y rebulid.

What type of cam are you going with? A roller or flat tappet? Some roller set ups have a torrington bearing that rides against the front of the block and directly behind the timing chain sprocket. This prevents the block grinding problem.