Need Help - I think I blew my motor!

Buick Beginner

Where is my $$$ going?
Gentlemen,
Well, I’m afraid my engine might have blown a head gasket or worse. The trouble is I’m out of town! I’m in the Air Force and I had to drive my GN from Tampa up to Panama City for a 6-week school. So after the 450-mile drive I got settled in at Tyndall AFB and got ready for class. So, today I went up to the local dry cleaners to drop off some uniforms and on the way back I pulled out in front of a group of cars. It was a good excuse to hit the gas and feel the power; everything was as normal until the top of first gear when, POW, and white smoke out from under the hood!! Then the engine stalled. I casually coasted into a parking lot, like nothing happened, then looked to evaluate the damage. Everything looked normal except the right side of the engine was covered in oil. The vented oil filler cap on the left valve cover had completely blown off. When I tried to restart the car it sounded like it was running on 4 cylinders, very rough! White smoke was steadily coming out of the exhaust. After I checked everything as best I could I thought I should try to get back to the base. So I started it up and began driving, the white smoke was pouring out of the exhaust. I mean it was so thick cars were pulling over behind me to wait for it to clear. As I drove on the oil pressure kept dropping and dropping, the engine was rattling louder and louder. I finally got back to base. After I got back I checked the oil and it was virtually gone. I’m an old gear head and it looks, sounds, and smells like a blown head gasket. I’m in quite a pickle! I’m over 400 miles from home, and I have to devote a lot of time and brainpower to this school. Here are a few questions; I hope you guys can please help:

1. Does this sound like a head gasket to you guys?

2. Does anyone know of a GOOD shop in Panama City that does work on Turbo Buicks?

3. In your opinion does it make sense to go ahead and rebuild the whole engine, rather than just replace the head gaskets?

Thanks for your help gentlemen, you guys have always been a help to me and I hope this whole thing will work out. Thanks again. – Tom

what 87natl said.....

you started with a blown headgasket, now you got a blown motor and turbo

Well....

I suppose all I could think about was getting back to the base, I knew we at least have the auto hobby shop on base and I could get it to there. I suppose that, "strange city" feeling crept over me and I wanted some warm fuzzy that I was back on post. Whatever the reason it probably wasn't the best thing to do. Perhaps on a positive note I do have a Precision Turbo saver on my turbo which filters the oil before it goes into the turbo. But anyhow, just add driving it to my list of dumb mistakes! I did'nt smell coolant, as far as I know. OK, wait a minute I just remembered I don't run coolant, I run straight distilled water and RMI - 25. I was burning oil out of the exhaust I do believe, and lots of it. :rolleyes:

Sorry if I came off as assenine, bud, but when I read your story I was cringing!

I would ask you if you found coolant/water in what remained of your oil, but with the clattering you described I'd say it doesn't matter. You overheated it and fried the bearings and probably scorched the crank as well. Time for a complete overhaul.

Turbo could be done too, despite the Saver. THat's not going to save it from a lack of oil circulation. Who knows, good luck.

To tell you the truth ....

The guy who owned the car before me rebuilt the engine himself. He didn't seem to confident in his work when I bought the car. For example the crank has already been turned 20/20. I can almost rest assured he didn't use the best head gaskets either. I knew this day would come, I just didn't want it to be right now. On a side note, my oil pressure never got below 10 lbs. If it would have dropped below 10 lbs. I would have shut her down. I've got a KB booster plate in it, so it usually runs about 25 at a hot idle. I'm going to hit the hay for tonight, if anyone has any engine building tips please share. I already know I need a crank, but I'm open to head gasket suggestions, etc.. I'm going to call John Craig tomorrow and talk about my turbo with him. Maybe it won't be too bad. There's always hope. - :D

had mine blow both breathers out of it....and was making alot of noise, smoking from everywhere. It blew the HG at #4 on the intake side....i bet yours did almost the same thing.

ya never know until u tear into....

good luck...

Sorry to hear the news. I drove mine for a few miles after blowing the HG but I wasn't losing as much oil as you did. Try to find out what caused your HG to blow, there is always a reason.

And welcome to the blown HG club. :D