You can type here any text you want

need help makeing my 86gn fast for chep im new at this

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

86gnboy

Hey every body I need help making my car fast the cheapest way I know that's hard in this car but if been wanting one of these cars all my life and now I got one so I'm new 2 all this and I need help making it fast let me know what u got for me

Turbo Buicks respond well to minor and effective upgrades but there comes a point where "Speed cost's Money Son...How fast did you Want to Go?"
And then it cost extra for the reliability. Not much in the way of "Free" with these machines, but they're worth it :cool: good luck.

Kevin.

There's nothing cheap about going fast. Well, you can be cheap and go fast, but rest assured you'll end up breaking something.

There's an old saying:

Cheap
Fast
Reliable

You can pick any two you want.

Now you did not post what kinds of mods the car already has. That's the first step to helping us to help you.

Let's forget about being cheap for a second.....

First off, you need to make sure you do a good going thru of the car, aka a "spring cleaning". CLICK HERE to read up on it. It's a first and important step in "going fast for cheap".

Then you need to invest in a scan tool, a new upgraded fuel pump and a hot wire kit. An adjustable fuel pressure regulator and a knock alarm/knock gauge should also be added in there. Don't forget about an aftermarket boost gauge.

So far you've not gone any faster BUT these items are required if you want the car to live while cramming all that air down it's throat....the last thing you want to do is detonate the engine under boost....which happens when it goes lean due to inadequate fuel supply...because if you're getting on it and it goes lean, bad things can happen.

That's why it's not good to go "cheap"

Then you need to invest in a new chip. I like Turbo Tweak chips. This allows you to fine tune your engine and is compatible with today's fuel. (it was different in 1986-87)

Once you have verified your car is running good under boost...and not knocking or acting funny.....then you can begin to raise the boost...while monitoring for knock. Now your power level begins to go up. Depending on the car, 15-16 PSI is about max while running 92 octane.

Then.....when you can fork over some more $$, get you an alky kit....it allows you to run a little more boost but while running premium pump gas....meaning 91 octane or higher.

All the while you have to do this in small increments and monitor for knock....if you see knock back off some until you figure out why. As mentioned, it costs money to go fast, how fast do you really want to go?

Hope this helps some....and welcome to the darkside...

Push it off a cliff and will go faster then it's ever been. lol
On a TR there is NO cheap way to go super fast. It's all about the combination and tuning. Since you're new, welcome, but you have a lot of reading to do and a bunch of questions that you will need to ask. To me a "cheap" trick is to port the heads but it will cost time down and a few $ for the parts to put her back together, not to mention you should have a valve job done at the same time. You can do everything yourself if you have tha knowledge and the will to do it.

Here is an old performance recipe that is fairly cheap to do to your car as your budget allows. Like i said this is an old recipe so the prices have gone up a bit from what is posted there.

$1500 Turbo Regal Eleven Second Recipe

P.S. don't blame me if you follow that recipe or one of the others on that website and blow your engine up. :tongue:

John :smile:

2 start off

Well I got about $2000 to start off with and the turbo is smoking so I'm wanting 2 put a better turbo on it and what do u think is a good one what kind of fuel pump and injetecters should I go with 2 hey this car and how much is all that and the car is stock

Well I got about $2000 to start off with and the turbo is smoking so I'm wanting 2 put a better turbo on it and what do u think is a good one what kind of fuel pump and injetecters should I go with 2 hey this car and how much is all that and the car is stock

Please understand we're not trying to beat you up, but these are cars that you have to know before you get in over your head. It is real easy to get carried away with what you want to do.

As far as the turbo, rebuild it first and make sure everything is working right before you do anything else. We just had a newbe that decided to build an engine and it didn't even last 1 hour before he killed it. Not joking and some of the others will, I'm sure, chime in on ILiv4GN. These guys really do know what to do and how to do it so ask away and read as much as you can before you do anything.

Depending on what you want to do with it.

My car has a TE-44 turbo and "blue top" 36 lb injectors. It makes for a good street combination IMO. No track times yet, but the car is very responsive. The turbo I'm using can be used with a stock torque converter too.

I don't have any prices on a turbo or injectors but if you look in the for sale area, someone was recently selling a used set of 36 lb blue tops and a matching Turbo Tweak chip for $150. I know the chip alone is $85 new. Turbos I believe run $700 and up new.

Of course I eventually bit the bullet after making sure my car was up to snuff and bought an alcohol injection kit. That allowed me to crank up the boost to 23 PSI. Before I was only running 15. The alky kit was $530 with all the parts needed to get the job done.

Fuel pump....I myself went with the older Walbro before they started having quality control issues....I think they've sorted it out by now but some others have said the Denso fuel pumps are good also. A new fuel pump will set you back $100-$120 for a stock in tank replacement. Make sure though you invest an extra $40 for the fuel pump hot wire upgrade - you will want this, even if your car only has a stock fuel pump.

You didn't say what mods your car had....but if you don't have one get a Scanmaster ($250-$280), a boost gauge ($30-80), knock alarm ($51), adjustable fuel press regulator ($130)...then when you go to raise the boost you'll also want an adjustable wastegate rod (not sure what they sell for) and don't forget the most important step....the Spring Cleaning....which i don't have a price for ya, but I'd think less than $200.

Please if you will, tell us more about your car. Or post some pics if you can.

And then there's that 20yr old suspension to deal with;) If it was me, get your guages, tune it up, translator and lt1 maf, maf pipe and a k&n cone filter, adj FPR, Power plate, walbro pump and hotwire, new rear upper and lowers at minimum

Cheapest way possible.... Crank up the Boost and cross your fingers.

Back