Need help with 85 to 87 conversion

Well Ive gotten everything out and now I am just waiting for my parts to get here, which hopefully will be tomorrow or wed. I was thinking for installation that I should probably put the new trans dipstick tube, detent cable, then hook up the rear wiring harness to head grounds before I install the intake so I have a little more room to work back there. What do you guys think?

Sounds like things are coming along Dusty. Post some pics of your handywork with the oil drain whenever you get a chance. Sounds like a good idea and I never thought of that when I did mine.

On a side note, now would be a good time to install a ground stretcher kit from Casper's. Would make it soo much easier to install.

Sounds like things are coming along Dusty. Post some pics of your handywork with the oil drain whenever you get a chance. Sounds like a good idea and I never thought of that when I did mine.

On a side note, now would be a good time to install a ground stretcher kit from Casper's. Would make it soo much easier to install.

Where exactly does the ground stretcher run from on the engine? I wish I would have thought of that sooner as now Ill have to wait on it to get in if I order it. I am hoping that my oil drain back will work and not be in the way of the power steering pump or the belt tensioner, but I think I will be ok. Also I am toying around with the idea of using the stock 85 fuel lines. Ive mocked them up and it looks like they will work. I movwd the filter from the stock location to where the lines come out of the frame and then hooked the two lines together where the stock location of the filter was. That will be another thing I will have to double check once I start getting parts on.

Well the swaps coming along slow but thats ok. Im mainly just waiting on some aftermarket parts that I ordered and some parts I was missing from the conversion kit. I am going to have to abandon the oil drain to the fuel pump block off plate. The stuff just gets in the way over there and the line kinks trying to get it routed, so now Im going to have to run the line to the oil pan. Where is the best place on the pan to run the line to? Also I will need to find a new block off plate since I drilled and tapped mine, so if you have one or know where I can get one please let me know. Im not sure if they are the same as what would be on a Chevy or not.

Thanks Dusty

I'll see if there is one on my old 84 engine, if there is I will send it out to you next week. Slow going you say? Shoot, you're moving fast, my project is the epitomy of slow going. :D

Dont worry about the block off plate, they are the same as a small block Chevy so I bought a shiny chrome one from where I work for $3 :D The builds not going slow I guess, Im just waiting and kinda getting bored of waiting for stuff. Ive got the intake on and tonight I think Im going to try and get the front accessories all mounted up. Im still trying to figure out where the best spot in the pan for the drainback is. Ive searched and havent found any pics that show it.

Anyone have any thoughts on where to put the drainback on the pan? I havent looked at it to much, but if I remember righ the front of the pan is a constant curve from the top to the bottom so I dont think I will be able to put it on the front. I think the best place may be the passenger side edge at the very top and front. Im not sure though. Any thoughts are apprecited.

Thanks
Dusty

Anyone have any thoughts on where to put the drainback on the pan? I havent looked at it to much, but if I remember righ the front of the pan is a constant curve from the top to the bottom so I dont think I will be able to put it on the front. I think the best place may be the passenger side edge at the very top and front. Im not sure though. Any thoughts are apprecited.

Thanks
Dusty

I'm a firm believer you should put it in the 87 location, if you ever need to sell it will help that you have a stock appearing oil set up. It would show you wanted it done right and not quick, and I honestly don't think the metal shavings would be hard to deal with if you have the intake off.

I already put the intake on, and my other problem was my drill wasnt big enough to fit the half in. drill shank into it. I plan on keeping this car for quite a while. When I have the money and the time comes to rebuild it I will drill and tap the block in the stock location at that time.

I would first find what kind of fittings and hoses. Then connect it to the turbo and find the best, easiest routing. Finally locate the best spot after accessories are on.

I already put the intake on, and my other problem was my drill wasnt big enough to fit the half in. drill shank into it. I plan on keeping this car for quite a while. When I have the money and the time comes to rebuild it I will drill and tap the block in the stock location at that time.

Oh well then. :D

I would just do what the guy above said and make it nice and clean looking. Tomorrow is go time for me, I'm going to try my damndest to get mine ready for paint and a few steps closer to turning the key. :cool:

I would first find what kind of fittings and hoses. Then connect it to the turbo and find the best, easiest routing. Finally locate the best spot after accessories are on.
That is a great idea. I will get everything mounted up first and then run the line where it is out of the way and looks good. Ive got the special rubber hose and fittings on the way from Brian at gbodyparts. Brent thats good to hear that your getting there and almost ready to fire it up. One day I will do the same with this car, strip it all the way down for paint and completly rebuild the drivetrain. I think I would have had the front accessories on last night, but when I was putting my new crankshaft sensor on I accidently broke one of the tabs off of it so I just gave up for the evening. I got another sensor today but just decided to take a night off and take it easy. Im still waiting on my trans dipstick and tube as I want to install it before the wire harness cause I think it will be easier, but I havent heard from intercooled88's in a few days so Im not sure if its on the way or not.

Does anyone know what the bolt that is at the very back of the intake in the center that looks kind of angled is for?

The wiring harness attatches to the angled thingy.

Ok thanks I wasnt sure but thought that may be what it was for. Does anyone know if I run the harness now without the trans dipstick tube in place will it be really hard to get it in place once I get one? I really want to get it ran so I can be that much closer.

Ok thanks I wasnt sure but thought that may be what it was for. Does anyone know if I run the harness now without the trans dipstick tube in place will it be really hard to get it in place once I get one? I really want to get it ran so I can be that much closer.

Plenty of room either way. My conversion got held up this weekend by a ticked off wife who decided our well laid out plan so she could swimming. :(

Plenty of room either way. My conversion got held up this weekend by a ticked off wife who decided our well laid out plan so she could swimming. :(

Give in a little to wife, remember if she is happy..... Well some people don't care if the wife is happy or not, so nevermind.

Ok well maybe tonight and tomorrow I will get the harness put in and the front accessories put on. I wish I could get a hold of Bob to get these last little parts Im needing. Remember Brent if the wifes not happy no body is happy.

Would the engine harness be easier to install if the motor was out?

Engine in first, then drop down the harness around it. Laying out the harness is easy, goes right where everything should, the only bugger is where it goes through the firewall.

Engine in first, then drop down the harness around it. Laying out the harness is easy, goes right where everything should, the only bugger is where it goes through the firewall.

The fire wall is no problem with the whole fender and inner fender off. Well since Brent says I can get the dipstick in with the harness installed Ill go give it a shot.