You can type here any text you want

Need Help with exhaust - Hooker VS. Flowmaster

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
nash87650 said:
zeus87gn's where did you get your atr ss mufflers? Liked your comment on your old hooker headers vs your new atr's

I actually got my my cat back system from ATR about 6 yrs ago. My wife had wanted the 3" SS duals for some time and we decided to spend the money. Hated writing a $695 check, but now I know it was money well spent. Got a deal that day we were there - free shipping. As you probably don't know being a new member, they wet out of business (unfortunately) just over a year ago. They had some of the most interesting items I have ever come across. Very diffucult to find any of thier left over stock any more.

Hooker cat-back

I installed the Hooker cat-back system. It fits well and was very simple. It does have the "drone" sound around 2000-2500 while cruising. Mine came with the aero chamber mufflers. I installed the same on a friend's as well. I talked to Flowmaster before I bought the Hooker system and even they told me that it did not work well with the turbo. I do run flowmasters on my blower car and my jeep.

Hey Guys,
As far as the hooker exhaust goes, which would you guys recommend? Aero-chamber? Or are any of you guys running any other model hooker exhaust?
Also, how do you guys have it set up? I was thinking of splitting it to 2 2.5" pipes from the cat back with two mufflers.

How do you guys feel about dynomax?
Does the model of catalytic converter affect sound?

Last, anyone know where I can get a 3" Downpipe?

Thanks

i have 2-1/2 flows and i really like the sound and i have a test pipe so if need be i can uncork the exhaust.most people say that flows arent good but i seen the first car to run 8s with a 109 block did it through flows ;)

Advanced Auto

I picked up my Hooker Exhaust 3 weeks ago from Advanced, $331.00 shipped to the store and out the door. I did get a 10% discount for being military, that price was $40 cheaper than anyone else. That system comes with the Aerochamber muffs also. I installed the system last weekend, sound very quiet, even under boost.

Hooker with Aero Chambers on the car when I got it. Quiet at idle and nice rumble when on it. Got rid of cat, louder and slight drone but still fine. Got THDP got much louder and drones at 2k.:rolleyes:

I run a single 3" (in and out) stainless 2 chamber Flowmaster and it seems to run pretty well. I think the 2 chamber is somewhat more restrictive than the 1 chamber but I chose the 2 chamber to keep the noise down just a little on the street as I drive the car quite a bit in good weather. I think there are a lot of good opinions but not a lot of hard data comparisons. Personally I think the difference in the aftermarket exhaust systems amounts to hp gains or losses in the single digits. I made a pass (22#'s boost) with the Flowmaster in place and the next pass with the exhaust open. The difference was 1/2 mph increase with no change in et. Go figure! I think the particular turbo and downpipe are the big restrictors. The exhaust gasses cool quickly as they enter the exhaust system so a huge system is not always better. Going to a 3" dual exhaust system over a 2 1/2 carries an increase in price not only in dollars but in weight. In my opinion the quality of the sound may be a bigger factor. I used to like the sound of ATR's stainless 2 1/2" system. It had a powerfull sound with good performance. Unfortunately they are no longer in business.

Anybody Close

Hey Nash, or anyone else interested in a hooker system. I just removed mine, going to build a 3.5" system, anyone close to MS can have the old hooker system I just removed. Not trying to sell thats why I posted here. System was on the car for about four years from what I understand. It is collecting dust in storage now. Anyone interested PM me for pics and details.

Changing exhaust

For me, I have the knock-off Hooker cat-back. Due to the drone, I am taking off the two dynomax mufflers and going to the stock location. It is a bit bigger than stock size, but is cross-flow. It will cost a bit for all the exhaust labor, but it will be worth it to get rid of the drone. I thought the dual set-up would be drone-less, but it wasn't.

Any thoughts on getting the aluminized system ceramic coated. Will it be worth the cost?

Hi,
My car is pretty stock,and I like the Hooker cat back for it's quietness.It isn't often that a fast, peaceful car can be had. I don't notice the drone you folks mention;maybe my hearing is crapping out.

got dual single chamber (10 series) and a 200cell metallic substrate cat waiting for my 3.5" dp. should be enough flow for me.

A 4" dp to Single 4" with no cat and a flowmaster outlaw (straight thru) would really turn it up, with a turn down save weight too. it can always get bigger and louder, the Q is what do you like as a individual hot rodder.

Or you can just kick it out the fender like Da Don Wang from cali!

just my 2 cents
DS

one thing i do know is that delta flows sound horrible and would be restrictive in my opinion!

That's funny you mention that. I just found out the Flowmasters that were on my car were delta flows. Same ones you hear in the video.

To the original poster, I just did replace my entire exhaust. Went from a crappy put together 2 1/4 one to a 3 inch straight shot. Everything from the turbo to the tail pipe is 3 inches, with a 3 inch Dynomax Ultraflow muffler.

All I can say is the car gained quite a bit on the top end and even some in the middle range. I was able to push the car to 122 mph with more to go down a back country road. :eek: Don't think the old exhaust would have gone much over 110. (had it at 107 once)

my gn is pretty much stock with the 2 1/2 hooker cat-back system with aero chamber and test pipe which i got from summit racing.Please note this kit looks
like the factory exhaust system at the tips and is quit when cruising,but when hammering the gas then you can here and feel the power just the way i like it:biggrin:

I have had Pitbulls, Flowmasters, Dynomax Ultraflows over the years. I just installed some Magnaflows and they sound better than all the other mufflers I have owned on these cars. Straight thru, no back pressure.

Back