Need help with home PC

Louie L.

Habitual Line Stepper
Staff member
I have recently purchased a 17in LCD monitor for my old home built home PC. Unfortunately in order to get a decent picture and manufacturers instructions I have to run it at 1280 x 1024 @ 75HZ. I had to enable VGA mode for this to work.

Well im very happy with the monitor but unfortunately the system appears to have become unstable and locks up.I then loose the monitor signal and have to reboot.

This can happen within 5 minutes of starting the PC to hours later. Also when the PC comes off sleep mode some times there will be no monitor signal.

The PC is old and home made. Its a old 650 Athlon. 384 MB of RAM,Voodoo Banshee video card (AGP 16mb). WIN XP

I told you it was old!!! . I put it toghether many years ago from parts my neighbor was throuing in the trash :eek:

I do not want to buy a new PC . This one does everything I need which is process my Pics and surf the net.

What can I do to fix this issue? Is it a video card issue? memory issue? Ive been told to upgrade the video card to something that supports the high resolutions and ill be fine :confused: All i need is something basic...

Any help will be appreciated..

16megs on an old Voodoo card probably wont push the resolution you are running very well..What the video card cant handle it pushes off to the CPU and rest of the system...You might still be able to find a decent, cheap AGP(you probably have 2x or 4x)card out there with 128/256megs or something in it that will do what you need... Check out buy.com or pricegrabber.com or pricewatch.com ...HTH

:smile:

Louie L. said:
I have recently purchased a 17in LCD monitor for my old home built home PC. Unfortunately in order to get a decent picture and manufacturers instructions I have to run it at 1280 x 1024 @ 75HZ. I had to enable VGA mode for this to work.

Well im very happy with the monitor but unfortunately the system appears to have become unstable and locks up.I then loose the monitor signal and have to reboot.

This can happen within 5 minutes of starting the PC to hours later. Also when the PC comes off sleep mode some times there will be no monitor signal.

The PC is old and home made. Its a old 650 Athlon. 384 MB of RAM,Voodoo Banshee video card (AGP 16mb). WIN XP

I told you it was old!!! . I put it toghether many years ago from parts my neighbor was throuing in the trash :eek:

I do not want to buy a new PC . This one does everything I need which is process my Pics and surf the net.

What can I do to fix this issue? Is it a video card issue? memory issue? Ive been told to upgrade the video card to something that supports the high resolutions and ill be fine :confused: All i need is something basic...

Any help will be appreciated..

Thanks for the info. Do you have any suggestions on what to buy. I have to fix this ASAP. I have a Comp USA nearby maybe i should get something there ?

decent specs and cheap ! certainly will help out ALOT...probably one of the better cards to support the 2x/4x AGP...

LOuie, get a nice ATI card, 64mb or 128mb, will be cheap, do yuo have pci or agp slot??