Need info on alchy injection for my Mustang please...??

R

RobW

Hello. This is my first post here and I'm looking for any info that may benefit me concerning alcohol/water injection for my centrifugal supercharger application.
I was interested in the SMC kit specifically if that matters.

Do you guys recommend straight alcohol or a mixture?
Any other info I should know that you guys have experienced?

Thanks kindly,
Rob

Hey man, good to have you aboard.
I have yet to actually own a kit, but have been doing some research because I want one BIGTIME once I get this beast tuned.
It seems that the school of thought here is a 50-50 mix. Water will theoretically cool the CC a little better than alcohol, but the alcohol will actually act as a buffer, kinda behaving as extra fuel. It just act as a margin for those of us nearly maxing out the injectors. Going way lean with this kinda power is not a good idea, or so I hear ;)
I just read one other post on here explaining VERY well the physics of the mixture. Just throwing my 2¢ in. You will learn more on the subject from others I am sure! :cool:

Great thanks! Yea, I did some searching and found some good info on this site. It's harder to come by info on these kits on Corral.net
From what I've read a 50/50 mix is common as you stated.

Do you guys recommend a dual nozzle kit for my application?? Size?...

Thanks again

ALKY KIT SIZE?

Rob, I sell and install the SMC kits. I have put them on 4's, v-6, and v-8's... even 1 on a rotary!
FWIW, the rotary was at 19psi and had gone thru 5, YES 5 engines, prior to the alky.. not 1 since and the boost has been raised to the 22-24# area. The first Camaro we did was a dyno install. Back to back pulls.. w vs w/o.. picked up 30 hp at the wheels with!! NO other tuning changes, just eliminated a low level knok retard!!
The kit is versatile in that the switch from single to dual nozzle is easy and is only $25.00 for the nozzle and hose-fittings.
If your engine is running under what could be called hi boost, IE: 20+#, then I'd go w/ the dual right off... in the 8-15# area and the single will do.
Other things to consider: static compression ratio. If the ratio is 9:1 [or higher], then I'd use the dual nozzle, even at the lower boost levels.
The nozzles have to go into the "up-pipe" between the blower and the throttlebody. If it is put after the TB, then an elec checkvalve needs to be installed to keep the tank from being siphoned dry. [AKA hotair BUICKS]
ALOT of these cars run considerably more than 20psi boost, using no-led premium and a race chip. [IE hi timing, added fuel at hi boost levels, etc] .
HTH,

Well there ain't no way in hell I could ever run 17+psi on the production block :eek: I'm running ~12psi of boost....the factory engine block likes to start cracking ~530rwhp so anything over 15psi is sketchy considering the not so strong factory Ford block.

My boost level is 12psi and my compression ratio is ~9.1:1...so should I just stick with the single nozzle set-up then?.....

Thanks for the good info

I installed a kit on a Skyline....500 rwhp car...

http://motorex.net/cladding/smc.html

I ran methanol straight first and had some issues. Then went to a 50/50 mix. But the methanol killed the pump. We ended up with denatured later.

You get no improvement from the alcohol alone. You get it though the fact that you can run more timing or more boost.

On the GT-R we went from 19 psi to 26 psi with no increase in knock.

And just for you - there was a supercharged Mustang that dynoed 530 rwhp - we only did 440 rwhp. The Mustang ran a 12.2 we ran 11.99.... The altitude up in Palmdale kills cars...