You can type here any text you want

Need Input On Bat. Voltage

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

scot w.

GNSperformance.com
On my scanmaster the other night on the way home I noticed it fluctuating at a steady 60mph. the high was 13.1v and stayed in the 12's mostly. but at the steady 60mph when I would give it gas the voltage would drop a little "not go up". and at stop lights is where it would drop into the 10's - 11's. does this mean the ALT is shot? and would it be wise to get the volt booster? Thanks, scot w.

Wells said:
Optima red top, only 4months old. I guess it could be possible. I just thought someone out of all these people would have had this problem before. ?????? :confused:

Yep i would think you need to check out the alternator before you kill your battery - if you have doubts just take it off and have a autoparts place check it out but i would be 95% sure you'll probably need to replace it

Royal-T-Ltd said:
Yep i would think you need to check out the alternator before you kill your battery - if you have doubts just take it off and have a autoparts place check it out but i would be 95% sure you'll probably need to replace it
If the ALT needs to be replaced what should I go with? the 140amp, 160amp, 200amp, ???

I disagree - I would go to the Impala SS alternator - i thinks its 140 A... most guys with buicks add bigger fuel pump and hotwire.... and all kind of guages, scanners, etc. I'd rather have a little extra than not enough

Royal-T-Ltd said:
I disagree - I would go to the Impala SS alternator - i thinks its 140 A... most guys with buicks add bigger fuel pump and hotwire.... and all kind of guages, scanners, etc. I'd rather have a little extra than not enough
What year impala ss? and does it bolt right up?

do a search but i think its off a '95-'96 SS and ... u might have to reclock if i recall but im not sure - try a search - it isnt that much trouble.

Royal-T-Ltd said:
do a search but i think its off a '95-'96 SS and ... u might have to reclock if i recall but im not sure - try a search - it isnt that much trouble.
Reclock? could I just buy a 140amp from jeggs or summit alot easyier than buying a SS one and reclocking it? is it that much cheaper to go through all that?

like i said i'm not 100% sure if you do or not... i run a redone 200 amp unit myself.... do a search - i have heard of many people using the impala ss units with NO problem - DO A SEARCH - take advantage of others past experiences... 95% of New post have been covered on this board before.. remember our cars are 85-87 not 2005-2007. that means 20 years of problems and answers.

scot w. said:
On my scanmaster the other night on the way home I noticed it fluctuating at a steady 60mph. the high was 13.1v and stayed in the 12's mostly. but at the steady 60mph when I would give it gas the voltage would drop a little "not go up". and at stop lights is where it would drop into the 10's - 11's. does this mean the ALT is shot? and would it be wise to get the volt booster? Thanks, scot w.
------------------------------
Boy, i am sure hoping that you guys are incorrect on the alternator going bad theory & here's why: I just had installed a brand new (Rebuilt) TBS.com 200 amp alternator and had to have it reclocked, as it was sent to me with incorrect clocking for a turboBuick, and we checked the charging after hook-up and both my sm and the shop's battery charger/tester showed about 14.1 amps at idle and about the same at a steady 70 MPH cruise, but it decreases slightly when the accelerator is pressed to increase car speed, about .2-.4 amps, dips to about 13.7-13.8 or so when car speed is increased. At idle, with the brake light on, it decreases to about 13.4 amps or so, with an occasional dip to about 12.8, then back up to about low 13's, and back tio about 14 when leaving the light. Does this sound normal.

Wells said:
------------------------------
Boy, i am sure hoping that you guys are incorrect on the alternator going bad theory & here's why: I just had installed a brand new (Rebuilt) TBS.com 200 amp alternator and had to have it reclocked, as it was sent to me with incorrect clocking for a turboBuick, and we checked the charging after hook-up and both my sm and the shop's battery charger/tester showed about 14.1 amps at idle and about the same at a steady 70 MPH cruise, but it decreases slightly when the accelerator is pressed to increase car speed, about .2-.4 amps, dips to about 13.7-13.8 or so when car speed is increased. At idle, with the brake light on, it decreases to about 13.4 amps or so, with an occasional dip to about 12.8, then back up to about low 13's, and back tio about 14 when leaving the light. Does this sound normal.

To me your alternator sounds fine a dip to 12.8 is alot different then a dip to the 10s + you have a 200 amp alternator which has to spin much faster to achieve the 200 amps. To my knowledge Scott has a stock alternator on his vehicle as well as a new battery

check voltage at the battery with a multimeter. there could be high resistance in the ALDL. check that befor anything

Back