You can type here any text you want

Need new Brakes and Rotors

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Sweet6

What do you guys receomend? I want to keep it somewhat cheap. Maybe just stock replacements. Just wanted to see what your guys thoughts were.

salvageV6 has Carquest replacements on it, they've held up fine almost 3 years now, I use GM pads.

My GN (other car) has Baer 12" on it and they almost stop the same. :eek: :p

Well actually they don't, ;) but I wanted a cheap set on the WE4 since I thought it would be in the junkyard by now.

Lucky me it's still running and driving okay. :cool:

Probably Chinese but I don't know that, they were cheap about $30 or so.

Hi Sweet6 -

I like to keep it financially reasonable too...so I try to balance warranty, performance, price, and previous experience with a store's quality control.

I have not done rotors, rear drums, or shoes yet...but when I do, will compare warranty and price among Auto Zone, Pep Boys, and CSK. Carquest and NAPA are usually higher and warranties are the same or worse. The info I have now leads me to the following:

Drums: Will likely buy iron drums at Auto Zone - Duralast brand, $39.99ea with 2 year warranty. Other stores offer a little lower price with a 1 year warranty.

Shoes: Probably will go with Auto Zone - 1 year wear and lifetime defects at $17.99/pair...didn't get brand. Other stores were not offering any wear warranty.

Rotors: Have not shopped prices.

Bearings, Seals, Wheel Cylinders: I suggest you shop around because there can be a significant price difference for bearings among the stores. However, buy the best bearings you can afford.

I buy only U.S.-made bearings and am very gun shy about critical metal components from the Orient...I have not heard anything good about their metallurgy.

I did replace front Pads and Calipers.

Pads: $40/pair Pads are from Auto Zone - Morse brand, carbon material, lifetime warranty on wear and defects (usually it is just on defects...so you should check because I bought mine a year ago).

I was deliberating between carbon and ceramic. The ceramic had a 2 year wear and lifetime defects warranty, and cost $8 more...but I opted for the lifetime warranty on both defects and wear.

I used to be content with regular pads and figure carbon is a step up. Plus, I am happy with the way the carbon grips the rotor...feels like a little more than stock pads. I don't heat the brakes to red hot like in NASCAR, so didn't see the benefit of ceramic for me.

Calipers: $16.99ea from CSK, Cardone brand (I like their brake parts. USA company, altho some brake parts are made in Italy...I can live with good pasta), lifetime warranty. Funny - one bleeder screw was 8mm and the other was 10mm...again, no biggie.

Now get on the road and STOP it!

Steve

Back