Need opinions! 1983 Regal T-type

Rovinfool

I am getting to look at 1983 Regal T-type. I love 86-87 T-types, but the 83 kinda jumped out of nowhere and guy is asking a pretty good price. He said it had a new motor in it when we were talking briefly about it. It is the 6cyl turbo. He said this one is fuel injected. Were the 83 fuel injected or carb? I think the new engine could be a 84-87 if Im right. Will know more once I see it. So few more questions: What is the ups/downs of the 83? What is the collector view of the 83? Is the 83 worth looking into or wait for a 86 or 87 to come up later on? I am also looking at Mustang SVO's. Compared to a 84-86 SVO (which I know much more about than Buicks) would I be happy with a 83 T-type or wishing I would have waited for a nice SVO or 85-87 T-type?:confused:

As always my question is, do you want to go fast or have a nice cruiser? To go fast with little work...86-87, to go quick with a bit of work 84-85 to go quick with a lot of work....non SFI. There is almost no aftermarket out there for the pre 84's. But, if the price is right and you know your way around a vehicle, the intercooled engines can be had without breaking the bank. If the car is virtualy rust-free and has a nice interior it may be worth a shot. One important thing to remember: A turbo Buick can mean A LOT of things. The years are very important.

83 is the last year for the draw through carb/turbo system. GM went with SFI in 84 and up. If it's injected then it's not stock so I'd say take a very close look at it and take one of the member on here with you.

I had an 83 T-Type, very nice ride for a cruiser, but not very impressive as far as performance. No GN's in 83, so that makes it kind of a oddball car. I don't remember that making it have any more value though. It was a carburator carfor sure, the Air cleaner set up was pretty neat. I only have a few pics of that car, but they are on 35mm film. Overall it was a good car, it got lots of attention for what it was. Good Luck!

I am getting to look at 1983 Regal T-type. I love 86-87 T-types, but the 83 kinda jumped out of nowhere and guy is asking a pretty good price. He said it had a new motor in it when we were talking briefly about it. It is the 6cyl turbo. He said this one is fuel injected. Were the 83 fuel injected or carb? I think the new engine could be a 84-87 if Im right. Will know more once I see it. So few more questions: What is the ups/downs of the 83? What is the collector view of the 83? Is the 83 worth looking into or wait for a 86 or 87 to come up later on? I am also looking at Mustang SVO's. Compared to a 84-86 SVO (which I know much more about than Buicks) would I be happy with a 83 T-type or wishing I would have waited for a nice SVO or 85-87 T-type?:confused:

83 is a carbed turbo setup.

The car is not an 83. On the back it says regal sfiturbo so I am thinking 84 he said the car had the engine rebuilt but was original engine, but the tranny is a 350 not the original. Something about overdrive (not good with gm part names) he wanted or didnt want not sure which. Inside looked great just needed cleaning up and he said it need a control module and possibly a new fuel pump and fuel changed due to sitting so long.

The car is not an 83. On the back it says regal sfiturbo so I am thinking 84 he said the car had the engine rebuilt but was original engine, but the tranny is a 350 not the original. Something about overdrive (not good with gm part names) he wanted or didnt want not sure which. Inside looked great just needed cleaning up and he said it need a control module and possibly a new fuel pump and fuel changed due to sitting so long.

Just because the rear says "3.8SFITurbo" doesn't really indicate the year. ;) Any fool can stick those little emblems on or swap a trunk lid.

As mentioned 1983 turbo Regals were carbureted as that was the final year for the carbed turbo Regal; 1984 and up turbo Regal models were all fuel injected. Sounds like this is a 1984 or 85 model. TH350 tranny is a 3 speed auto; factory was 200-4R which is a 4 speedo trans w/overdrive.

If you can hold out for an '86-'87 model that would be the best, but an '84-'85 isn't bad, just not as much support for them as the '86-'87 models. But at least the '84-'85 models are cheaper to get into.

but I also have a 84 SVO being dangled that doesnt need hardly anything ohhh what to do??

That depends on you...everyone and their brother, cousin, aunt, uncle, second cousin, mother and even grandmother own a Mustang. How many own a turbo Buick?