Need opinions/ ideas on outfitting trailer

Amelio

I am about ready to start out fitting the 28' trailer I picked up for Christmas.........I have been working on race prepping my vette for this season so my trailer has been doubling as a garage while I work on my vette.

Anyway I wanted to hear some ideas on how you guys have outfitted your trailers.....what type of lights?

Did you go with a 12v system or running 110 with a generator?

I was thinking of running some LED light strips since they pull very low amps...I will have a deep cycle battery for that mounted inside and it will also operate the winch. I was also going to run 4' fluorescents and have a small generator to operate it and any other small items.

What size winch are you guys using and how do you like it? I was looking at 1,700 pound pull you can get those for under $200. Will that get the job done?

Please post pics of your rigs.....I am trying to get some ideas.......I think I am going to run indoor/outdoor carpet in a gray color 4' high around my walls. The remaining height of the wall I was going to stain it and shellac it for protection. I have seen it and it looks really nice and very cost effective. I also plan to epoxy the floor with a light gray and put that grit stuff in the coating for non slip surface.

All ideas welcome!

The interior of my trailer has two diamond plate strips where the tires roll and the rest of the floor is linoleum. It looks great and is simple to clean. It has a bit of texture due to the design which provides a little bit of grip.

Unless the trailer and car are on level ground, that winch won't likely be enough muscle. [You could use a snatch block, and double the pull. [2 downsides to that: 1. Speed is cut in half. 2. length of cable doubles.]
Use care on the florescent lites. Rough terrain has a tendency to drop the covers and bulbs on your car.BTDT.:mad:
Pit Pal has some neat add-ons, such as door storage rack, slick mounts, jack storage.
Flush mt exterior liting is nice, as is a plug or 2.
If it's not already on the unit, I'd do a LED lite change out on all the exterior liting.
A neat trik I have on my open trlr is, 2 in-deck lites, on a separate sw. That makes it a whole lot easier to do the tie downs at nite!(y)

IF and only if you plan on your trailer eventually doing more than just hauling vehicles (double duty) you could do what I did to mine. Added lots of E-track and etrack accesories.

Great for hauling household goods/furniture or other loose packed stuff. I litterally saved thousands by using my trailer to move myself from WI to MI to TN when the big moves came.

The ANCRA shoring beams (attach to etrack) were a godsend for controlling sections of the load!! I got the idea from moving companies that use them in their 18 wheel moving rigs.

Now, with all that said, you need not go as crazy as I did, but some well placed E-Trak can be very helpful for various tie down options and cargo handling.

100_0351.jpg
100_0352.jpg
100_0353.jpg
100_0354.jpg
100_0355.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks guys...........

Yeah Chuck I was concerned about the fluorescent lights falling on the car which is why I think I will stick with the LED strips.

I think a little heavier winch may be needed.......the trailer will be level or at a decline......I actually had a hell of a time getting my buick in the trailer....the front air dams would hit. I had to back my truck up onto blocks to get the rear of the trailer lower...that still didn't do it.....I then had to put 2x12" boards to help get the nose up more. With that being said the car will be on an incline when loading.