You can type here any text you want

New A/C Compressor...now what?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

pmoore4321

I noticed my A/C compressor was leaking and slinging oil everywhere and decided it needed replacing. I bought a new Delco 15-20225 compressor, 15-1681 Accumulator, and a 15-5151 Orifice. Now all this stuff sits on my desk because I have no idea what to do next. :eek:

What are the necessary steps to replace a compressor on a working R-12 system? I searched around and really can't grasp what I need to do. Is there a way to swap the compressor without having to recharge the system? What oil do I need in the compressor?

I guess just switching to R-134 would be fine with me, but that has me confused also. Any help would be appreciated. The compressor has a label stating the 12 and 134 use different oils and they are not compatible. If I go to 134 how do I get the mineral oil out and the PAG back in? 134 fittings and where do I get them?

I have the engine on the stand right now and was planning on installing it tomorrow. Can I just bolt the new compressor on the bracket and leave it factory sealed until I am ready to have it charged? I was afraid the compressor not having oil might mess it up even if it was not engaged.

Send me a PM with your email and I'll be more tha happy to help you. It isn't that hard but it is time consuming.

I really appreciate your offer Charlie. I will certainly take you up on it. I have to take a last minute run to the border tomorrow, but I will send you a PM when I get a chance.

Thanks
Preston

Not a problem Preston.:smile: I've helped several members with problems. I'll be waiting on your PM.:biggrin:

Preston, you couldn't find a better expert on air conditioning systems than Charlie....this guy knows his stuff!!!!! Listen to his instructions and follow them to the letter. You should be honored that Charlie offered his help, he's the best in this field, in my opinion. He can give you a great argument over a/c systems all day and always come out right.

If I were half as smart as Charlie here, I'd be rich!!!:D But I'm just a lowly mechanical engineer:( To think, back in '75 I used to install complete a/c systems in Datsuns at a dealership while working during the day as a Sr. Design Draftsman, and on the way to becoming an engineer, I forgot all the stuff about a/c systems, except they blow cold air! I used to be able to install two complete a/c systems in 8 hours and get paid 16 hours for it, everything, ripping out this, putting in that, charging it up, everything. Never had one come back!! Then I got my tools stolen.:( I still have my manifold gauges, but the vacuum pump was stolen along with my tools. So, I'll just let Charlie take care of you......he'll have you freezing your butt off in no time!:D

Bruce '87 Grand National

Preston, you couldn't find a better expert on air conditioning systems than Charlie....this guy knows his stuff!!!!! Listen to his instructions and follow them to the letter. You should be honored that Charlie offered his help, he's the best in this field, in my opinion. He can give you a great argument over a/c systems all day and always come out right.

If I were half as smart as Charlie here, I'd be rich!!!:D But I'm just a lowly mechanical engineer:( To think, back in '75 I used to install complete a/c systems in Datsuns at a dealership while working during the day as a Sr. Design Draftsman, and on the way to becoming an engineer, I forgot all the stuff about a/c systems, except they blow cold air! I used to be able to install two complete a/c systems in 8 hours and get paid 16 hours for it, everything, ripping out this, putting in that, charging it up, everything. Never had one come back!! Then I got my tools stolen.:( I still have my manifold gauges, but the vacuum pump was stolen along with my tools. So, I'll just let Charlie take care of you......he'll have you freezing your butt off in no time!:D

Bruce '87 Grand National

Well that's embarassing Bruce.:redface: Thanks for the cudos bud.:biggrin: I'm not that smart but I am a mechanic that's been working on cars for almost 30 years now. I've learned a lot in that time and am always looking to improve the way a system works.:biggrin: I'll leave it at that and hope that I can help Preston if he needs it.:cool:

I got the engine back in with the new heads and A/C compressor installed and it is running better than ever. This GN is by far the quickest car I have owned. Anyway, I hope I can get with Charlie for some help with the particulars on the A/C in the next week or so. :biggrin:

ac3.jpg

ac.jpg

Send me a note when you're ready to do it Preston. It will need to be above 65 to charge it though. The R-134 will freeze up while charging if it isn't warm enough.

I stuck with R12 & now get 37* at the left center outlet. Our cars were designed for R12 & changing over is a backward move - even the manufactures had problems with the new cars for a few years.

Check with ArizonaGN, I found him to be very helpful.

I had my A/C compressor installed over the summer and it worked great, then about 2 months later I noticed a puddle of green under the car. It appears that it's leaking where the lines bolt to the back of the compressor. The kit came with 3 or 4 washers, each varying in thickness. I'm thinking that maybe the wrong washers were installed. Do you recall which washers you used?

wow, that things pretty dam cherry

Thanks! It is certainly not mint, but I painted just about every bracket when I did my rebuild. I gave it another cleaning last week when I put the Champions on. I took my alternator apart a couple of days ago and painted the case and fan. Makes a huge difference and is very easy to do. You can't see it, but the turbo shield is starting to yellow. I painted it with the same paint as the intake and valve covers, but I guess it just couldn't take the heat. I think someone mentioned that would happen, but I admit I didn't listen. :cool:

toomanymodz-

I haven't hooked my line to the back of the compressor as of yet. I know exactly what you mean about the washers. I noticed the different thicknesses of washers when I took the compressor out of the box. I can't remember if the original compressor even had washers?

I guess Charlie will help me get is sorted out when I get some time after the Holidays.

ac2.jpg

LOL Not a problem Preston. Just tell me when you want to and I'll do what I can for you.

Back