You can type here any text you want

New Al Heads

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

jpratt

Pro's and con's of GN1 heads vs TA performance heads, bolted to a 109 mostly street driven 109 block with supporting mods and a yet to be determined turbo.

Out of the box or ported?
Weights less than irons. As far as performance. I guess you need to say what cam you have, compression, Turbo you plan to use, shift point you want, and see who has a similar situation.

Lot of guys are running fast with the ported irons. And you done have to worry about cracking them if you make slight brain fart tuning mistake.

If you mostly drive on the street, go with ported irons. I rarely see the track with my car and GN1s and wish I had put irons on it when I built the motor.

What about rockers? Dont you need jessel for the ta heads?$$$$.There are alot more gn1 heads on the street than the ta heads.But the money is probably why. I sure nick has used them more than anyone.

A good set of ported irons will get you into the low tens if not faster. How fast do you need to go? Aluminum heads are prone to cracking, at least one brand of them is. TA and GN1 both need roller rockers. You "should" run roller rockers with a roller cam anyway, but not required.

Well you guys have convinced me to stay with ported irons that I am used to already, thanks for saving money. :biggrin:

Food for thought:

1. TA's "budget" Head takes stock hardware
2. You can repair Aluminum Heads, Iron Heads not so much.
I spent $500 ceramically sealing iron heads, only to have to throw them away.
3. Iron Heads can have the EGR functionality, not sure any of the the Aluminum Heads do.
4. If you are ever going to go faster or build a stage 2, the irons don't have the extra bolt holes.

Just some extra information for you.

For the price difference between the two, i would go with the Champion Aluminums. Best bang for your buck.

A good set of ported irons will get you into the low tens if not faster. How fast do you need to go? Aluminum heads are prone to cracking, at least one brand of them is. TA and GN1 both need roller rockers. You "should" run roller rockers with a roller cam anyway, but not required.

+1 on running ported irons. I run 'em and they will do 9zzz.

Back