New Combo draft...

BOP4ever

I've been reading a lot and made some post here to get some Ideas and I think I have it down to 3 plans on what to do during my head gasket change.

THe car is a 67k mile 87 GN with basic mods listed in signature.

Other than # 5 compression checks at about 150 psi fwiw....

Plan is to pull the engine and clean the engine and engine compartment up as I go.
THe goal is a quick street car quick enough in street trim to beat 90% of the factory stuff rolling off the showroom and those with the typical mods I see around here...
such as tune, exhaust, and intake mods.... I conceed to ZR1 corvettes as I only have seen one...
Et wise I want a 11.50 or better car, mph Id love 120 mph in the 1/4 but 115-117 is my realistic goal...
I don't expect to run that any time real out of the gate.... I have made some connections with some GN guys not to extremely far and they will help me tune the car and I will probably take it to a dyno for tuning as well as the track if it holds up.

Ok PLan A
Full Throttle Gasket set with stock style head gaskets at about 90 bucks seems to be a smoking deal...
ARP Head Studs
Pull the heads and home port them based on information from some here and threads I found with pictures.
I have done a little head porting on my old Pontiac's with decent success so I am not totally green to this..
Purchased a new Razor Alcohol system for the car...
Purchase a roller cam set-up from full throttle 206/206 cam
Turbo will be a TE44( may have to upgrade later but will see where it will go )
I have a streched SLIC big neck intercooler going on the car too...
Caspers Knock alarm
Scan-Master to keep me safe tuning...(I have Turbo Link for real Tuning the scanmaster would be just daily driving monitoring I guess since everyone says I have to have one )
I am buying a spare block and set of heads that I plan to actually port on saving my originals...
THey had 50k on them before he swapped to GN1's so if they look good I'll use them. I am hoping to reuse everything on the heads
just new seals, springs and stuff for the cam swap.... I will hand lap the valves if the seats look good.

Plan B

Same as A except

Leave the stock cam in place....

Plan C

Same as A except run a new flat tappet cam in the 206-208 range ....

Are these proposed combos good ???
Cost effective ?

Thanks...
Hoping to get started next month.

combo 3 is almost identical to the build I am currently completing.
I used .020 over wiseco forged pistons w/bushed wrist pins, comp flat tappet cam set 206/206, stock heads w/ 3 angle valve job, exhaust valve seats, some porting inside the bowl. Rotating assy is balanced to within 1 gram, custom length pushrods. Should have it complete and break-in on Saturday. Wish I had the stretch intercooler, but that will be a future enhancement. Good luck on your build.

Carl

Don't go the flat tappet route. It could go south on you and cost you a motor. You're better off checking the stocker for lobes going flat and keeping that in. If you want to put a cam in go with that small hydraulic roller. Plan A or B are cool! You may want to pop in a Pats converter while you're at it. One of my favorite cars on here is Pronto's. He has one that seems to work well.

Thanks for the feedback.

I am still a bit hesitant on the cam swap...
I just want to do it while it's out of the car if I need to for my goals.
I know people have ran 10s with un-opened blocks....so have some Pontiac folks with un-opened big blocks...or so they say...
I just know I had to put in a good set of heads and roller cam to get close to there.... So I worry I might not be a good enough Buick tuner either and may need better parts as a crutch... then it may be a different deal with the turbo....

Id love to leave the stock cam in if theres not much to be gained with a 206 or so size aftermarket replacement.
GMmuscle let me know how it runs after you get it together !