You can type here any text you want

new comp cams 853 roller lifters feel rough when depressed

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

whitehot1

I have been soaking my new roller lifters in paint thinner trying to get any of the manufactures lubricant / grease out of them that may have dried out, i did notice some very small pieces of debris that looked like lint in the bottom of the container i used to soak them in. I have used a pushrod to depress the plunger and 5 of the 12 are very smooth and easy and the other 7 are rough and harder to depress.

My question is for those that have installed and ran these lifters. Did you notice this or a simular condition when you installed them and do you think there could be a problem with them.

You would think for the price they would be of better quality than this. All of the $2.00 - $4.00 hydraulic lifters i've used in the past were all very smooth operating when i would depress them with a pushrod.

Thanks in advance for the help :)

call Comp

They will tell you to return them. Problem is you have to pay shipping both ways for their defective product. Or you could install them and hope for the best--hope the junk gets flushed out. This has been going on for at least 4 years that I know of. Not what you want to hear.

Comp sucks...plain as I can put it. Their quality control is pitiful at best and their customer support can't get any worse. I steer clear of any comp product even if it cost twice as much from another company.

Man,those people are very busy and hard to get hold of. I'll try again tomorrow until i do get to talk at them though. :smile:

Here is their # 1-800-999-0853 if anyone else needs help or info from them.

Man,those people are very busy and hard to get hold of. I'll try again tomorrow until i do get to talk at them though. :smile:

Here is their # 1-800-999-0853 if anyone else needs help or info from them.

Don't expect much. My last transaction with them was a cam that was supposed to be here in 7 days. Tried to reach them after the cam didn't show after 2 weeks. It took 2 days of calls and e-mails for them to get back with someone to let me know they didn't have the core I needed for the cam.

Then they had the nerve to ask why we didn't call about the cam earlier.....like they had no need to call the customer and tell them they didn't have the correct core. Take our advice..take your business elsewhere, you'll be much happier.

We have recieved lifters from them before with no springs and plungers inside....they sell junk.

Is it possible to take the lifter apart and maybe clean them better?

Some of the lifters plungers operate smoothly when depressed without having to much resistance and then some of the others feel like something is holding the plunger back adding resistance so more pressure is needed to depress it and i can hear like a scrapeing kind of sound also.

It appears i would be better off if i could do a home self fix rather then sending them back to comp, if possible.

Well in an attempt to try and resolve this lifter issue without having to send them back to comp.

I have been squirting pb blaster penetrating oil into them and letting them soak and moving the plunger up and down with a pushrod and they are allmost the same now in reguards to operation,the roughness has been totally eliminated and i'm feeling pretty confident about installing them without having any further problems.

Thanks for the assistance. :)

If these are hydrolic rollerers then yes you can disassemble them and clean the inner bore and the plunger. All you have to do is pull the "c" clip out of the retainer ring and then take out the inner workings. I don't know any good terms but I have taken apart all my hydrolic lifters before installing them in any motor. Good Luck Jon Hanson By the way I can't spell worth a crap

NO, you can't get them completely apart as the tie bar is riveted on and you can't get the cup and inners out.

Comp sucks...plain as I can put it. Their quality control is pitiful at best and their customer support can't get any worse. I steer clear of any comp product even if it cost twice as much from another company.

Great...I have them in my motor. :frown:

Heard great things about Weberracing

Did you buy direct from Comp of go through FT?

Oh yeah, Weberracing is a TB vendor as well!

Problem is that Comp Cams and Walbro got too big for their own and lost sight of what pays the bills :eek: .......…………. Happens to quite a few ;) …… JMO

Yeah,I had two friends that worked there and the pay SUCKS also.Maybe that is why their quality and customer service went to HELL.

Back